Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

I would like to request a "how to" using BeSweetGUI to convert wav into AC3.
Is this the best way to use during DVD playback in a 5.1 stereo system?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

First you'll need the AC3ENC.DLL file. This is the AC3 encoder for BeSweet. Put it in the BESWEET folder.

Next start up the BESWEET GUI. The GUI should be in the same folder with BESWEET on your computer. When you first start BESWEET GUI, it'll ask for the location of the BESWEET.EXE to run.

Now, most things can be left at default values. Very few things need to be changed.

Now, while you can set INPUT and OUTPUT one at a time, I hate to do it that way. I use the BATCH MODE always. Even if doing just one file, it goes faster on my end.

Now this is just info, DO NOT click on it yet. That will come a little later.

I just set the OUTPUT FILENAME to "0" (easy key on keyboard), and then it will auto-name the new file the same as the source (except it will have .AC3 extension now).

Next is setting up the AC3 values. By default, the program uses 384k as the bitrate. I like 256, as it sounds just as good almost always, and takes less room. 256 provides richer sounds than 192 or 224, at least from most homemade VHS or tv source.

This guide assumes you have 48hz stereo audio as your source. If you have to convert to 48hz too, you'll need to use the SSRC function.

So far, you've set up the OUTPUT folder, the AC3 settings, the BESWEET application setting, and only thing left to do is convert the audio.

NOW click on BATCH MODE and it'll bring up a window. This is a DRAG-N-DROP interface.

The files should appear in the BATCH WINDOW. Click the BESWEET -> MULTIPLE AC3 button. Using the SINGLE AC3 option would merge all files into a single audio file (useful, but probably not what you're going for).

You'll see a progress bar in a DOS SHELL window and then it will do the files one by one, OUTPUTTING to the folder you specified with the same filename as the source, but with the new extension. SOUND.WAV will now be SOUND.AC3 in the output folder.

If you need any more clarification or have more questions, ask away.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the guide.
I have 44.1hz as my audio source, and would like to know how to convert to 48hz.
I have tried to set the settings to 48hz using MMC 8.0, but the audio is skips and stalls.
I use a Sound Blaster Live Audigy LS audio card if this helps.
Thank you.
02-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I originally said "ask for 48hz conversion info" but went back and re-added it.

You must have been reading the guides as I was editing it still.

The pause/skip on the audio is an error I had once for about 2 weeks. I'll have to think about that. it may be an ATI MMC 8.0 issue. I like 8.1 and 8.7, but not sure if your card can use it (the TV Wonder Pro, right?).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!