Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I'm a new joiner.

Every time when I try to burn a DVD which is encoded from AVCHD 1080i60, I get artifacts as if the TV doesn't deinterlace. When I burn BluRay, everything looks fine.

When I choose progressive sequence instead of interlaced, I don't see the artifacts. However, the bottom fields of all frames are discarded.

Moreover, when a friend of mine loaded an MTS file into VirtualDub via AVS script

clip=DirectShowSource("Test.m2ts")
clip=AssumeTFF(clip)
return clip

the resulting AVI was NOT interlaced: each frame consisted of 2 identical fields combining both of the original interlaced fields.

Tools used Adobe Premier Pro CS5.5. Presets for export: MPEG2-DVD, MPEG2-BluRay

Has anyone encountered similar problems? Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Free Member

Can you encode a short test clip showing the problem and attach it? 5 seconds is probably plenty, but it should contain a lot of motion.
03-26-2017, 06:12 PM
Free Member

Thanks a lot!
Please see the attached files.
As you can see only the video that was made in Progressive sequence does not have those artifacts.

Attached Files
File Type: m2v HDinAVCHD1080 60i Anamorphic_MPEG2DVD.m2v (8.69 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: m2v HDinDVNTSC Lower first_MPEG2DVD.m2v (6.85 MB, 2 downloads)
File Type: m2v HDinDVNTSC Progressive_MPEG2DVD.m2v (6.83 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: m2v HDinDVNTSC Upper first_MPEG2DVD.m2v (6.85 MB, 2 downloads)
03-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Moreover, when a friend of mine loaded an MTS file into VirtualDub via AVS script

clip=AssumeTFF(clip)
return clip

the resulting AVI was NOT interlaced: each frame consisted of 2 identical fields combining both of the original interlaced fields.
Whatever decoder is being used by his DirectShow chain must be mangling the video. What you describe there sounded like your source is 1080p30 packed into 1080i60, but it is definitely true 60Hz video, not 30Hz.

HDinDVNTSC Progressive_MPEG2DVD.m2v has judder as a result of discarding half of the temporal information.

All of the others play correctly for me: smooth, 60Hz motion, deinterlaced. All are properly flagged with the matching field order. I think you could probably get a better quality downscale by exporting 1080i60 and using other software to create 480i60, though.

Not sure where to go from here. Maybe go through the rest of the authoring process with 1 of the 3 interlaced short sample exports and attach the VIDEO_TS folder or ISO?
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: sanlyn (03-26-2017)
03-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
DirectShow video decoders are not required to support frame-accurate seeking; thus DirectShowSource itself is obsolete and depracated for most modern formats such as .ts, m2ts, mp4, other AVC encodings, etc.

If one insists on using DirectShowSource, the script shown is a verbose way of doing it. From this posted script:

Code:
clip=AssumeTFF(clip)
return clip
you would get exactly the same results from the following:

Code:
DirectShowSource("Test.m2ts")
AssumeTFF()
Quote:
"the resulting AVI was NOT interlaced: each frame consisted of 2 identical fields combining both of the original interlaced fields."
I find that difficult to believe. Not even DirectShowSource will commit that many errors! msgohan's reply made a very interesting observation in that respect. But we have no sample of the original.

A more accurate and modern way to open .ts files would be to make a .dga index with DGAVCDec and open the file with a more precise, dedicated filter:

Code:
AVCSource("Test.dga")
Or even better, use the FFMS2 plugin package, such as the following for getting a video-only AVI:
Code:
FFVideoSource("Test.m2ts")
AssumeTFF()
or FFmpegSource2 for automatically combining video+audio:
Code:
FFmpegSource2("Test.m2ts")
AssumeTFF()
There is also the LSMASH package:

Code:
### ---for video-only---###
LSMASHVideoSource("Test.m2ts")    
AssumeTFF()
Code:
### ---for video+audio---###
aud=LSMASHAudioSource("Test.m2ts")
vid=LSMASHVideoSource("Test.m2ts")
AudioDub(vid,aud)
AssumeTFF()
return last
Meanwhile I have to confess that I'm not enamored of the way Adobe deinterlaces, resizes, or re-interlaces and encodes. The resized videos show chroma displacement errors on downsampling, which most Avisynth resizers and methods avoid. HD-to-SD downscaling usually requires some sort of low-pass filter to avoid aliasing and line twitter, but Adobe users don't seem to employ that kind of prep work. Obviously video must be deinterlaced before resizing, but Adobe isn't the best tool for that, either. There is a better deinterlacer for this sort of thing but Adobe can't use it. The samples show noisy gradients and block noise, chroma flicker, and illegal chroma overshoot that could be avoided.

Other than advising that most members here wouldn't suggest Premiere as the best tool for this project (but of course you can use it if you want), I'm afraid nothing more can be said without a short sample of the unprocessed 1080i original, which was not posted. The "results' samples are appreciated but they can't be corrected. Surely Adobe can smart-render a short edit from the original for posting, or at least make cuts on I-frames to prevent re-encoding of the original m2ts.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: metaleonid (03-27-2017)
03-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Free Member

Thank you very much.
03-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Free Member

Thanks a lot.
04-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Free Member

Sanlyn,

I'm not able to get FFMpegSource2 to work. I downloaded ffms2.dll, ffms2.lib and ffmsindex.exe and put them into AVISynth 2.5\plugins directory. Am I required to do anything else?
04-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaleonid View Post
Sanlyn,

I'm not able to get FFMpegSource2 to work. I downloaded ffms2.dll, ffms2.lib and ffmsindex.exe and put them into AVISynth 2.5\plugins directory. Am I required to do anything else?
"Won't work" doesn't tell us much. If you get an error message, what is the exact message?

Did you forget about ffm2s.avsi ? A copy should be in the plugins folder.
04-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Free Member

Yes, I did in fact not put ffm2s.avsi file to plugin. I will. The message was that there was no such function ffmpegsource2.
04-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Function ffmpegSource2() is in FFMS2.avsi.