Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-28-2018, 08:18 PM
Free Member

I just downloaded the VirtualDub and filters as mentioned in the thread "VirtualDub with Filters Pre-loaded + HuffYUV." Norton Security said most if not all vdf files were dangerous and deleted them. Has the site been hacked? Anyone else have this problem?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Norton "Security" is a well-known stupid piece of software that throws endless false positives. I quit using it at least a decade ago. McAfee is the same. And both are owned by the same company.

When in doubt, let VirusTotal.com look at a package. It will check it with at least 50 malware/security softwares. Almost everything has at least 2-3 false positives.

The Norton/McAfee duo has other issues as well -- resource overuse (50-100% CPU), constant pinging of sites (which results in site firewalls blocking the IP), insisting clean sites are "hacked", blocking legitimate links, etc.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Free Member

I guess I've been lucky. I rarely have anything flagged. This was a first for so many items being flagged. Many, many years ago I had horrible problems with McAfee. Norton and Malwarebytes have been stable. Although I'm not sure about Malwarebytes any more. It gives alerts that certain MB functions have been turned off when they are actually still on.
07-29-2018, 05:11 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
MalwareBytes was good about 10 years ago, but not for a while now.

Of all the anti-virus, I think Sophos behaves the best at the moment.

Worth mentioning:
Our comrade Kapersky: "In my country, we not protect you from virus, we protect virus from you!"

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
07-29-2018, 06:40 PM
Free Member

I've never used Kaperski. When I found out where they were located I said nope, no way, no chance!

Ok, all the files are ok now I imported Norton's data into a Word table and looked up all the supposedly deleted files. Norton had flagged 22 files out of all the vdf files. The files are there and Norton doesn't have a problem with them?? WTF. I've never seen Norton do this before. I've used it since it first came out in the '80s or 90s.
07-29-2018, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
The Norton product line was superb with Windows 3.1 and Win95/98, when it made its former reputation. But Norton became junk bloatware more than 10 years ago, along with AVG. Try Kaspersky.
07-30-2018, 09:01 AM
Free Member

I left Norton (owned by Symantec) and McAfee (owned 49% by Intel) years ago when they became CPU cycle hogs. Lately I've used Bitdefender and been generally satisfied.

IMO: companies like McAfee, Norton, Central Point Software (PCTools), XTree, Generic CADD, etc. were good in their early days when the founders ran them. But as often happens, when sold to corporations where the hired help sets its own pay and priorities, they changed.