11-09-2018, 02:37 AM
Free Member

I'm putting separate video clips onto a DVD.

The program that I'm using to edit the clips down offers many different formats for outputting. Which one should I select?

I thought at first to select the MPEG for DVD, but the more I thought about it, I was thinking that I should select MP4 file output. Which one would be better? Or would it be something else?

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot (29).png (23.3 KB, 18 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-09-2018, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
MP4 is not a format. It's a container that can accept several different codecs. MP4 cannot be used for DVD authoring. The only codec that can be used for DVD is MPEG, and the only container that can be used for DVD is also called an MPEG program stream in a .VOB container. The MPEG codec can also be used for BluRay, but the containers are different. MP4 cannot be used for the DVD or BluRay disc formats.

You can use the MPEG codec in an MP4 container, but some players won't accept MP4 using that codec. If you want MP4 on an optical disc you must burn the video to disc as "data", not as DVD or BluRay. You will need a BluRay or other external media player to play mp4 videos from a disc or other storage device. DVD players can't play MP4, and not all BluRay players will accept it.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Superstar (11-09-2018)
11-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
I'm putting separate video clips onto a DVD.
The program that I'm using to edit the clips down offers many different formats for outputting. Which one should I select?
I thought at first to select the MPEG for DVD, but the more I thought about it, I was thinking that I should select MP4 file output. Which one would be better? Or would it be something else?
You must select MPEG for DVD, no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
The only codec that can be used for DVD is MPEG, and the only container that can be used for DVD is also called an MPEG program stream in a .VOB container.
For years now, I've found it helpful to refer to "DVD" with accurate jargon. The format is "DVD-Video", whereas "DVD" is just a disc. When you make that important distinction, I find it much easier to explain to others.

The DVD-Video format uses containers for not just video and audio, but navigation data. And that navigation data is externally controlled by the IFO (InFOmation files). The IFO also has clone BUP (BackUP files), in case the IFO is damaged thus rendering the VOB unmanageable. So, technically, VOB is a container, but it's also not. It's not self-contained like MP4/MKV/etc.

MPEG is actually not just a codec, but container as well. But when inserted inside VOB, or the BD structure, the MPEG container is shed for the disc formatting container.

I think you know most of that already, so primarily for the OP and other thread readers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Superstar (11-09-2018), ThumperStrauss (03-21-2022)
11-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the advice!

To clarify, there's 2 MPEG options there. 1 is MPEG for DVD File Output and the other is just plain "MPEG" I assume I select the one that's just plain "MPEG"?

Also, it lets me change the bitrate on the audio. It has it preselected at 220, but I can pick several higher ones. Which one should I pick, or should I stick with the 220?
11-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Site Staff | Video

MPEG alone is a wide spec, while DVD-Video MPEG has constrained allowances: profile, GOP length, min/max bitrates, etc. To keep it easier on yourself, I'd suggest just using the preset. Though noting the problem with presets is that all are often 720x480, not 352x480, hence needing to learn spec details.

Audio at 192kbps or 224 is passable, but 256 or 384 sounds best for stereo. For 6-channel, which you probably should not use, never go less than 448.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Superstar (11-09-2018)
11-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Yeah, you were right. I selected the MPEG for DVD output file on the newest clip I just did and it was preset to 720x480, so I changed it to 352x480 and made the audio 384

It's been about 6-7 years since I made a DVD project such as this, so I definitely needed the refresher. It's slowly starting to come back to me, thanks!

Now, I just need to find a great DVD making program, either free or with a 30 day free trial, and I'll be set (I think)
11-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Site Staff | Video

Ulead DVDWS2 still works quite well in Win7 (without audio preview) or in a WinXP VM.

11-09-2018, 01:22 PM
Free Member

I'm on Win 10 now, so I don't think that one would work? Any suggestions for one on Win 10?

Also, I meant to ask this other question -

I'm using another program to extract the videos that I'm using for this project from a website, initially. For quality of the download, it gives several options.

640x360 - 1284 kbps

960x540 - 1929 kbps

960x540 - 2573 kbps

960x720 - 3218 kbps

1280x720 - 4829 kbps

After I download the full video clip with this program, that's when I take it into the video program that I've been asking questions about, where I split the clip and export it with the MPEG to DVD Output file setting.

Which quality setting would you suggest I set it to in the first program to download the clip initially?
11-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for giving us the extra details. It appears from what you've described that in every case you're mostly lowering video quality regardless of the low-bitrate, low-quality web clips you're downloading, so it oesn't make much difference either way. Download the quickest way that's convenient for you. In the end what you're getting is video hash. Whatever meets you needs is what you should do.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: Superstar (11-09-2018)
11-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Site Staff | Video

WWE, right?
The 960x540 @ 1929 kbps looks great, and can be encoded as 720x480 16:9 MPEG with a 5+ mbps bitrate.

11-09-2018, 05:52 PM
Free Member

Yeah and that's actually the setting that I have been using, the 960x540 @1929 kbps

Oh ok...so I've been switching it to the 352x480 in the last program I use, that I was asking about earlier. So, it's ok for me to go back to the default of 720x480 in that program then? I just changed it to 352x480 because of what you said earlier.

Most segments/matches that I'm going to be putting onto DVDs range from 5 minutes to 15/20 minutes. I'd say most are probably closer to 5-10 mins on average.

Also, when you say "MPEG" is that still the MPEG to DVD Output File option, or just plain MPEG now? I can change the settings for both choices.

You mentioned 5+ bitrate. Any exact number on that, or just keep it at 5? I noticed it also does points, like 5.1 for example.

Any suggestion on the DVD making program for Win 10? Possibly best payware one that offers a fully functional 30 day trial? I should be able to get this full project done in that time, I'm hoping.

Last edited by Superstar; 11-09-2018 at 06:17 PM.
11-10-2018, 12:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

5, 5.5, 6 -- it really depends on content. For wrestling, I'd sometimes even look at 7 to avoid blocks, do do either 2-pass VBR, or CRF (which isn't available on most software for MPEG).

MPEG-2, specifically, as used for DVD-Video.
And it should outout MPEG no matter the template, it doesn't/shouldn't author.

I'd still try to install DVDWS2, see if it works. On XP VM if it didn't. I'm not changing my software because the OS sucks. I'll just find a way to run the old OS. The only non-expensive "modern" choice is the old TMPGEnc authorware. If you wnt to go menu-less, then there are some freeware options, namely SCDVD v5.

11-10-2018, 12:45 PM
Free Member

Yeah, i've tried to put it back on my new computer a few times, but it never worked, unfortunately. I really liked that program, I made my biggest DVD set with it, a 95 DVD set.

you mentioned TMPGE, that's actually what I'm using for the conversion, the video master 6 program, seems to work pretty good for what I'm using it for

Going back to the one thing, I've been switching it to the 352x480 in the Video Master after I crop it down to the 1 match/segment that I want in video master. Just for clarification, so it's ok for me to go back to the default of 720x480 in that program then? I just changed it to 352x480 in there because of what you said a few messages back.
11-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

WWE has two video types: 4x3 matted to 16x9 with black bars, or 16x9 HD sources.
I'd make either 16x9 720x480 from both.
Or the more complicated cropping black pillarbars, 4x3 encode to 352 or 720.

16x9 widescreen just does not look good at 352x480, and technically it's no to-spec either.

11-10-2018, 01:48 PM
Free Member

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I'm not a fan of the black bars, personally..
11-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Free Member

How would I go about removing those black bars? Just change the setting from 16x9 to 4x3 and encode to what?

Or do you suggest that I don't do that?
11-10-2018, 03:20 PM
Site Staff | Video

I'd suggest you just don't do it, adds another layer of complication to your software workflow, and you're already confused enough. Just let it be. It won't cause any detriment on modern widescreen TVs and computers.

11-13-2018, 12:16 AM
Free Member

Nah, not as much confused as out of practice. This is the first big project I've done in like, 8 years. So just trying to get everything refreshed.

I think I'm doing ok so far. Have all the things that I want, now just finishing cutting, etc.

I want to add the theme music on the menu
I already took it off of YouTube.

It's about 4 minutes, it plays the music two full times through, so I'm going to crop it down to where it ends after it plays fully once.

Is there any encoding or settings changes I should do to that file in video master, or just add it to the DVD as is?

Also in addition to the music, could you explain the process of removing the black bars? I might still attempt to do it.

-- merged --

Quick update on the music. I put it as Dolby Digital, (it encoded as ac3) 48000, and bitrate of 384

Does that sound about right?

The music clip was about a minute and a half or so.

-- merged --

Update. I made a test disc and yeah, there were black bars on each video segment, and I don't want that.

I ripped them initially with the 960x540 1929 kbps in the first program to get them off of the site.

Then, I took them into Video Master, cut them down to get each segment and I encoded each one to 720x480 16x9

I thought encoding them to those settings might remove the bars on the final version, but that didn't happen.

I know you said trying to remove the bars will just add to the workflow, but I'd really like to try. Would filmora video editor work? It seems to have a specific option to do it, or could I do it in the Video Master program?

Thank you

-- merged --

Here's a pic from the test DVD I made. You can see the bars on the side.

I just want it to look like it does on the network I took it from, no bars, no picture distortion etc

I'm willing to add the extra steps to my workflow to accomplish that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181114_193713.jpg (61.6 KB, 11 downloads)
11-14-2018, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Say, don't you know how to capture as frame directly from a video instead of using your camera to photo a TV screen? Are the side pillars part of the image itself, or were they put there by your wide screen TV?

The core image is a 4:3 picture. if the pillars are actually a part of the image itself, and you remove them, a 16:9 TV will replace them. A 4:3 image will not fill a 16:9 screen unless you stretch and distort the image.

What do you do when a TV broadcast or retail DVD/BluiRay has a Panavision or Cinemascope image that doesn't fill your 16:9 screen?
11-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Free Member

As I stated a few messages ago, I took the videos off of a website, and the videos play on the website with no bars on them. I watch this website on my TV, and there's no bars on them.

And yeah,I know how to take a screenshot of a video on my computer. But, I took the picture on my TV to show LordSmurf how the test DVD that I made looks on my TV, since that's where I'll be watching them. So, he could see what I'm seeing with it.

I ripped them initially with the 960x540 1929 kbps in the first program to get them off of the site.

Then, I took them into Video Master, cut them down to get each segment I wanted, and I encoded each one to 720x480 16x9

Those are the settings of the final videos I used on that test DVD which the picture is from. The bars appeared on each video after I took them off of the website and put them in video master to cut them down to take the segments I wanted.

Then I encoded them with the above settings and the bars stayed

Last edited by lordsmurf; 11-14-2018 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Be nice. -LS