Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-14-2012, 10:45 AM
Free Member

Was just wondering if anyone knows if the Original Casablance Video Editing Machine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Macro-System...#ht_993wt_1130

can be used for TBC , looking for a reasonably cheap way to do TBC on old vhs tapes.

thanks Peter
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
I've never used this exact unit, but all the workflows I've read about in years past also included a rack mounted TBC in the chain. So I'm going to guess that no, it did not. Otherwise the second TBC would have been redundant, and therefore removed to not incur further signal processing noise/loss potential. At least any decent videographer would have removed the extra unneeded gear.

In fact, I did a quick Google search, to see if I could further corroborate this, and came across an interesting write-up from a fairly reliable source -- an article at The British Film and Video Institute (IAC) website.
Quote:
Old VHS tapes (plus VHS video that has been transferred to S-VHS tapes and Video-8 that has been edited onto S-VHS tapes) cannot be loaded directly to a DVD recorder or the Casablanca Avio movie editor without having problems. The control track on these old tapes seems to deteriorate as the tapes get older. The old tapes will play OK in a VCR (Video Cassette Recorder), but as soon as you try to load them into a computer or a DVD recorder defects show.
Quote:
a DVD recorder or a Casablanca computer, will drop frames etc. (I suppose this means the TBC (Time Base Corrector) in the camcorder is more powerful than the ones (if any) in the other devices.)

So no, apparently not. That confirms it for me. A Casablanca Avio does not replace a TBC in any way. At least no more than a DV converter box or cheap DVD recorder will act as a cheap TBC. If you need time base correction, then a good timebase corrector will need to be added to your current video workflow.

You'll find a list of suggested TBCs here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...time-base.html

And welcome to the site.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Free Member

thanks for the answer im just starting out as a hobbyist so its nice to get another opinion on gear.
02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Well, you've definitely come to the right site for help and opinions on gear.

If there's anything else you have questions on, just make a new post, and you'll surely get some advice.
Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
casablanca, tbc, vhs