05-17-2006, 07:19 AM
Free Member

Hi Guys...

is there a difference between frame-accurate editing and key frame accurate editing? Does frame-accurate offer more flexability than key frame accurate editing?

Tks...Tom

Cheers...Tom
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Premium Member

that would be a LS question. He should be back on Fri.
05-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Free Member

There is a big difference between Key Frame and Frame Accurate but it all depends on what you are editing

For instance when coming back from a commercial frame accurate will get you a perfect transition, key frame may go actually into the show or a few frames before the fade to black begins meaning you will see the fade in or fade out but you will HEAR the previous commercial or a blip of sound. To the casual user it wont seem like a big deal but to the anal retentive who want smooth transitions you will definitly be dissapointed or at the least notice it.

TDA editing is key frame editing and not recommended for precise editing jobs (sometimes it will work great and sometimes it wont), Womble MPGVCR is frame accurate and precise.

cartoons that air on 4kids for instance (Sigma Six/Turtles) and even some shows on Kids WB are very hard to do with key frame because they segway from promo to show to commercial with merely a 1/2 sec transition. Shows on Cartoon Network, and most networks ABC/CBS/FOX etc will survive key frames because their fade to blacks are a lot longer

If you want clips showing the difference I can email them as I saved some small ones to show this point for a tutorial I am making for the Mac side of things
05-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Free Member

Mark...thanks man...

I thought that was the case, but needed to make sure.

Cheers...Tom
05-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Free Member

VideoRedo is also another example of a Frame Accurate editor.
05-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Free Member

There are 2 more as well I think MPEG Wizard and another one. LS knows which ones those are because Womble sometimes acts stupid on peoples computers.

But if you have the option I would suggest going with a frame accurate editor always, it just makes the editing smoother
05-17-2006, 11:26 PM
Free Member

Yeah, I've had some audio synch issues every once in a while with Womble, mostly with longer mpeg files (2+ hours). I switched to VideoRedo for most of the editing, and it has a decent commercial marking program (not perfect, but works great with some shows).
05-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Keyframing is when you mark a point in time on an NLE timeline for editing purposes. For example, when I put a blurry box over somebody's face (think COPS), and their face moves around (they are walking), then you keyframe frames to track the motion to apply the filters or merge layers or whatever.

Totally different topic than "frame accurate editing" which is something that mostly applies to temporally compressed video (like MPEG).

If you want a frame accurate MPEG editor, Womble MPEG-VCR, Womble MPEG Video Wizard, or VideoReDo. There are a few more, but those are mostly voodoo territory, mainly meant for DVB and some other specialty needs.

MPEG Video Wizard is really good for damaged audio streams, and VideoReDo is really good for general stream damage. Womble MPEG-VCR needs pretty flawless files.

I will concur that on really long files, sometimes it can drift (I had this problem recently, use MPEG Video Wizard instead). But it's a random error more than anything else.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-21-2006, 03:02 AM
Free Member

Thanks guys!