08-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Free Member

Hi all, I'm trying to digitize my old vhs tapes to dvd, and was wondering if there's anything I can do to help fix this kind of warping affect that's happening on a part of my one tape (you can see what I'm talking about starting at around 51 minutes in, in this first part I already digitized: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ak...CepUiuvaO/view ). I tried adjusting the tracking and that didn't do anything, so is there anything I can do to try to fix this, or am I stuck with what I've got?

Thanks.

Last edited by wjbraden; 08-18-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2020, 12:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Please attach a tiny clip of the area in question. I'm only downloading it beacuse I saw the CN logo, and I'm a cartoon collector. I'd normally not download a 4gb file for a sample, nor will others.

What is your workflow hardware?
- capture card
- VCR
- other devices, such as a TBC

And software?
- capture (VirtualDub)
- edit, encode, etc

edit:

Download done, looked at it. Your VCR is terrible, and your capture card may not be helping. You're wasting your time to do low-quality lousy work. You need a more stable VCR. See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html. And a TBC.

Right now, you're actually making digital recordings that look worse than the original tapes. This doesn't have to be the way things are. You can make the digital recordings look better than the tapes, as good as retail DVDs, often better than you ever thought possible. All that is required is the right equipment.

And you're at the right site to learn what you need!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-19-2020, 02:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Please attach a tiny clip of the area in question. I'm only downloading it beacuse I saw the CN logo, and I'm a cartoon collector. I'd normally not download a 4gb file for a sample, nor will others.

What is your workflow hardware?
- capture card
- VCR
- other devices, such as a TBC

And software?
- capture (VirtualDub)
- edit, encode, etc

edit:

Download done, looked at it. Your VCR is terrible, and your capture card may not be helping. You're wasting your time to do low-quality lousy work. You need a more stable VCR. See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html. And a TBC.

Right now, you're actually making digital recordings that look worse than the original tapes. This doesn't have to be the way things are. You can make the digital recordings look better than the tapes, as good as retail DVDs, often better than you ever thought possible. All that is required is the right equipment.

And you're at the right site to learn what you need!
Hi Lordsmurf, thanks for your input!

I am using a Panasonic DMRES40V VHS/DVD combo player (circa 2005), and I am dubbing the tapes onto DVD-Rs. From there, I am taking the disks and running them through a program called Handbrake to encode them into easily viewable files (though I am also copying the raw Video_TS files onto my hard-drive as well). When encoding, I am using settings given to me by someone who is more technically versed than I (which I've attach to this post). So far the disks have seemed to produce 1:1 copies from the original tapes, as have the handbrake encodes (at least to my eye), but again, I'm not much of an expert in these matters haha.

I actually just got this combo player serviced because it needed some new capacitors, and was told that everything else looked to be in tiptop shape. I have a few other vcrs, a JVC from the late 90's and two other Go-video combos from the early 2000's, and so far, this Panasonic has the best picture quality out of all of them. This was a rather expensive and high quality unit at the time.

Any who, going back to the main issue at hand and tape in question, this distortion effect only happens in a slect portion of the tape tape. The first 50 minutes (as seen in the google drive video I uploaded) looks okay, then the distortion kicks in for the rest of the cartoon network recording, before going back to ok quality for the remainder of the tape that has my grandmothers soap operas (I think the whole tape had soap operas to begin with and I recorded cartoon network over them, so could my taping over have screwed it up somehow??)

I've also heard about these TBCs, but there's so many out there I don't know where to begin. Are there any good ones for Panasonics like mine?

Also, nice to see another cartoon collector out there. These are actually my childhood tapes I'm trying to digitize and preserve (and pass the time through this never-ending quarantine haha). It's been quite the learning curve and difficult task, though. I have a few tapes with mold on them and one tape that broke that I need to splice together, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I take that on.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist a dummy like me, I appreciate it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg audio settings.jpg (52.9 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg dimension settings.jpg (52.1 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg subtitle settings.jpg (52.9 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg summary settings.jpg (59.3 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg video settings.jpg (41.0 KB, 3 downloads)
08-19-2020, 02:36 AM
Free Member

You are doing it in the longest and most damaging way that can possibly be, Just get a USB capture device and start learning how to do it the right way, There is a lot of materials in this forum that help you choose the VCR, the capture card, the capture software, just take your time and read through them.
08-19-2020, 03:47 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
You are doing it in the longest and most damaging way that can possibly be, Just get a USB capture device and start learning how to do it the right way, There is a lot of materials in this forum that help you choose the VCR, the capture card, the capture software, just take your time and read through them.
How is it damaging and long? I got an easycap device that I was using at first, but the quality was not very good as the sound cracked and popped. Besides, I really wanted to use my DVD/VHS combo dubbing feature which was made for this purpose. You also have to keep in mind that these recordings were made on cheap tapes and are of SD broadcast quality, so it wasn't meant to look crystal clear to begin with.
08-19-2020, 04:24 AM
Premium Member

You're capturing two-hour tapes onto 4.7GB DVDs.

I'm capturing two-hour tapes onto hard drives at about 70GB per tape.

Do the math.
08-19-2020, 04:33 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post

Do the math.
But does that make a difference with things that are low quality to begin with. My disk copies seem 1:1 to me when I compare.

At any rate, I'm just trying to see if I can fix the distorting effect I'm getting here as I have explained in the OP.
08-19-2020, 04:50 AM
Premium Member

How can they be 1:1 if they're throwing out 90% of the information?
08-19-2020, 05:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I've never even seen high quality movie files that big, so I can't understand how some low res old tape could be that large.

I also want to preface that this is a fun little project I'm doing, and I'mnot looking to go all out and spend a ton of money. If I did, I would've taken to get these converted professionally, but it's not worth that much for some TV recordings.
08-19-2020, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbraden View Post
I've never even seen high quality movie files that big, so I can't understand how some low res old tape could be that large.
Even commercial Blu-ray discs, which these days support up to 100GB I believe, are compressed down to about 5-10% of the original file.

The difference is they use H.265 in a carefully optimised, multi-pass setup. And even then you can find plenty of commercial discs that look horribly compressed.

You're using MPG2, which is a vastly inferior compression codec, and you're compressing on the fly.
08-19-2020, 05:54 AM
Free Member

Here are two pictures, the first one from the original vhs and the other from the disk I copied to. I don't notice the difference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200819_064147vhs capture.jpg (53.5 KB, 11 downloads)
File Type: jpg 20200819_064029_dvd capture.jpg (35.6 KB, 9 downloads)
08-19-2020, 06:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
I am using a Panasonic DMRES40V VHS/DVD combo player (circa 2005),
Panasonic made some of the worst consumer VHS players, and some of the worst DVD recorders. This is both, double-terrible. (Panasonic made some great S-VHS decks, like the AG-1980P. And then some unusual DVD recorders, namely the ES10/15, but only as TBC(ish) passthrough, best for just anti-tearing, not for recording.)

Quote:
and I am dubbing the tapes onto DVD-Rs. From there, I am taking the disks and running them through a program called Handbrake
This is extremely damaging to the quality, and it shows.

I have some of the same content (CN recordings) on VHS as you do, and can try to upload a clip sometimes this week. My quality and yours will be night-and-day difference.

Quote:
When encoding, I am using settings given to me by someone who is more technically versed than I
Maybe so, but that person isn't more versed than I am.

Quote:
So far the disks have seemed to produce 1:1 copies
No. Between the VCR, the DVD-Video format, and Handbrake, you're obliterating the quality.

As a cartoon collector, realize that the entire reason that I started to help others online (in the 90s), was due to our collecting community, people like you and me. Because 20+ years ago, I wasn't yet working professionally in video, and it was still pure fun hobby. But I sought quality, and didn't bastardize it as (then) VCD format (now H264 MKV crammed through Handbrake). What you're doing is a travesty, and I want to help you do much better.

Quote:
I actually just got this combo player serviced
Huge waste of funds. Better player was a wiser move, not fixing a known POS.

Quote:
I have a few other vcrs, a JVC from the late 90's
Model matters, not brand.

Quote:
and two other Go-video combos from the early 2000's
Go.Video made some of the worst gear ever. Most notably was the dual-deck VCRs in the 90s, then #1 POS that harmed the underground trading community, because it tanked quality massively. The only exceptions to bad gear was the lone LSI-based DVD recorder rebadge (LiteOn) from the mid 2000s, not a combo unit.

Quote:
and so far, this Panasonic has the best picture quality out of all of them.
Analogy time.
Bird poop, cat poop, dog poop. Which taste better? The correct answer = who cares. It's all poop.

Quote:
This was a rather expensive and high quality unit at the time.
That Panasonic? No, it wasn't. Never. It was panned by reviewers, casual users, and serious users. Again, Panasonic made some real POS decks in the mid/late 00s. Only the early 00s Panasonic decks were beloved, but that was due to some weird Apple-type technoreligion around the brand. Those decks were actually worse, too, lots of luma shifting (green tinting), horrible artifacts at all recording modes.

Quote:
I've also heard about these TBCs, but there's so many out there I don't know where to begin. Are there any good ones for Panasonics like mine?
You need to read the TBC sticky. There are line, field, and frame. You need line/field, and frame. You need both. The line/field cleans the image, frame cleans the signal.

Quote:
Also, nice to see another cartoon collector out there. These are actually my childhood tapes
Wow ...you making me feel old here. CN circa 2005 was already on a downward trend, most of my recordings are from the 90s (infancy of CN, back when still C-band only station), but I do have some from at least 2003. By 2005, I was using LSI based recorders, better quality. I get more enjoyment from the old commercials, as most of the shows are released now.

Quote:
I have a few tapes with mold on them
BE CAREFUL! Do NOT stick mold tape in the deck used for other tapes. You will infest ALL of yuor tapes with mold. Then you'll have a real problem. The spores are also harmful to your health. I've written about this before, but mold in a VCR once caused me to go into anaphylaxis. I could find my breath for several minutes, scary stuff.

Quote:
and one tape that broke that I need to splice together
No! Never splice! Whatever you splice with will damage the VCR heads. You must create TWO new tapes from the single split tape.

Quote:
Thanks again for taking the time to assist a dummy like me, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
^ Do this.

Quote:
How is it damaging and long? I got an easycap device that I was using at first, but the quality was not very good
On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is crap, you went from 1 to 2. You're not even close to 10. Yes, the DVD recorder probably did improve on literally the worst method there is (Easycap). It would be pretty hard to not do better. Pretty much any bad method is better, but it's still bad.

Quote:
Besides, I really wanted to use my DVD/VHS combo
Terrible reason.

Quote:
dubbing feature which was made for this purpose.
Not really. Read the fine print. Combo units were made to record/play VHS, or record/play DVD, not really go VHS>DVD. Yes, it could work, usually/maybe/sometimes, but it looked like trash. This was the nature of combo decks, with the most damning issue being lack of any TBC function.

Quote:
You also have to keep in mind that these recordings were made on cheap tapes and are of SD broadcast quality
So? Tapes don't look as bad as you're thinking or suggesting. Tapes only look bad when using bad VCRs and bad video playback/conversion methods. VHS is actually quite good.

Quote:
Do the math.
Size doesn't matter.

It can, it should, but there's more to video. The playback quality (VCR+TBC) must exist, and then the choice in codec/interlace/etc matters. I can make a horrible uncompressed video, or I can make a clean 35gb lossless video.

Quote:
things that are low quality to begin with.
You're making an assumption that I'd wager is false.

Quote:
My disk copies seem 1:1 to me when I compare.
The problem here is that you're viewing the tape+disc on the same bad device. So, yeah, quality is miserable on both. But the tape itself is intrinsically better on better hardware with better method. It can look much better. Likely all of the various quality issues I saw would vanish.

Quote:
At any rate, I'm just trying to see if I can fix the distorting effect I'm getting here as I have explained in the OP.
And I'm trying to inform you that the error, and pretty much anything else wrong I see, would go away if better hardware and methods were implored.

Quote:
Quote:
I've never even seen high quality movie files that big,
You're comparing (I'm betting) retail streaming movies (torrents?) to VHS. That is not a comparison you can make. There much different noise profiles, color profiles, and codec considerations. You're comparing a final delivery format to a capture format. Do you think the studio deals in tiny files? No, of course not. In this situation, you are your own studio. To get to that high-quality output, you must do as they would.

Quote:
I also want to preface that this is a fun little project I'm doing, and I'mnot looking to go all out and spend a ton of money. If I did, I would've taken to get these converted professionally, but it's not worth that much for some TV recordings.
Anything worse doing is worth doing correctly. And in terms of costs: buy it, use it, resell it. A very worst, you can cobble together minimalist setup for about $600, use it for a few months, and sell it again. It should retain value. If you time it right, market conditions continue, you may even profit off the setup. At minimum, you need to spend about $275 on a good ES10/15 and capture card, and you can continue with that ratty VCR. Of course, that VCR is why you're getting jumps and bad luma values (blown highlights, etc). Just spend the money, do the project, resell the gear. You'll thank yourself later.

Do you thin that any of us actually like spending money on good video hardware? Because we don't. But you buy the tools you need. Or you suffer the consequences of using garbage.

On that scale of 1-10, what I'm suggesting to you is about a 5 or 6. All budgets setup have a fail rate, but right now you're pretty much failing at everything.

Quote:
The difference is they use H.265 in a carefully optimised, multi-pass setup. And even then you can find plenty of commercial discs that look horribly compressed.
BD are H264/AVC, not H265.
Yes, sadly true, lots of bad discs exist. The reason is not properly handling the sources. Been there, done that, handled downstream QC, and it increased my hatred of the cop-out phrase "good enough" (an excuse to pass off $hit quality for pay).

Quote:
You're using MPG2, which is a vastly inferior compression codec, and you're compressing on the fly.
Nope. DVD-Video spec MPEG-2 is often overcompressed and can be lousy. MPEG itself is wide and vast, and equally as good as H.264, just at a bigger bitrate.

08-19-2020, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Size doesn't matter.
Of course it does. Yes, there's diminishing returns, and other things earlier in the process obviously need to be up to snuff as well, but given what those numbers are in this case it's a decent enough first example. If we're talking 70GB vs 150GB, sure. But 5 vs 50? That 5 can't ever be worth much.

Quote:
BD are H264/AVC, not H265.
Depends if you count UHD as another form of BD or its own thing, really. They're more or less Blu-ray discs, really.

Quote:
Nope. DVD-Video spec MPEG-2 is often overcompressed and can be lousy. MPEG itself is wide and vast, and equally as good as H.264, just at a bigger bitrate.
They're being recorded onto DVDs, so I would bloody well hope it's DVD-spec. And the "bigger bitrate" thing is pretty much what I was getting at anyway. 4.7GB of MPEG2 video is going to be worse than 4.7GB of H264/H265 video, at least 99.9999% of the time (assuming the same source, obviously). Especially given the MPEG2 encode is presumably CBR? I don't really know how DVD recorders handle that, I've never owned one.
08-19-2020, 06:30 AM
Free Member

Wow, guess I should just pack it up and forget it then lol.

I really appreciate that you guys like going the extra mile, but I've put about $50 into this project total and I don't want to spend any more money or do any sort of reselling/buying equipment. I've done about 10 tapes so far this way too, and I really don't want to backtrack. Unless you guys would like to take the tapes off my hands and see what you can do haha.

I should also mention that most this stuff was recorded on this vcr, so how is it that the quality could be better from a vcr that isn't any good?

Sorry to hear about your mold exposure LordSmurf, that sounds serious. I may just throw those away then I guess.
08-19-2020, 06:37 AM
Site Staff | Video

Just set the project aside, and resume it when you have more funds and energy to do it correctly.

What toons are on those tapes?

08-19-2020, 06:47 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Just set the project aside, and resume it when you have more funds and energy to do it correctly.

What toons are on those tapes?
Shelling out $200-$600 for something like this is probably going to be on the 12th of never for me unfortunately. And these tapes are getting worn out, so I think having something digitized would be better than nothing, if they disintegrate on me in the interim.

Most of my stuff is anime, but I have a few Boomerang recordings and other miscellaneous daytime CN from the early to mid 2000's. I have a friend that's requesting some of this stuff too, which is another reason why I'm doing this in the first place really.

So, any way, is there anything I can do with what I've got to fix the distortion, or is it a lost cause?
08-19-2020, 08:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

If you give me a rundown of what's on the tape, I may be able to convert some of those myself.

08-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Free Member

Quote:
If you give me a rundown of what's on the tape, I may be able to convert some of those myself.
I have about half a dozen full and/or partial Adult Swim Action,Toonami and Miguzi blocks from 2003-2006 (like the one you have seen). The aformentioned Boomerang tape (not from the channel, but the block on the main CN channel from around 2004, with some Looney Tunes as well). Also some 2004ish morning lineups featuring stuff they regualrly aired, like Captain Planet, Pokemon, Scooby Doo. That's about the extent of it.
08-19-2020, 08:51 AM
Free Member

Does the effect happen if you play it on another VCR to a TV? I suspect this is may have been caused by something was not working correctly in the recording VCR. It looks like the point where the VCR switches between video heads is not completely stable, maybe the recording VCR had something loose on the drum motor or an electronic issue distorting the signal telling the VCR how the drum is positioned. It looks a lot like what happens if you touch the top of the drum on a VCR playing back a tape and slow it. I suppose one workaround if it is in fact the playback VCR is to play it on one of your other VCRs and send the output to the ES40 for either recording to DVD or as a pass-through using it's stabilizing features to a capture card.

I suspect this is the type of tape where one would have to test on a ton of different setups and find the best compromise rather than expect it working well on one of the suggested setups. One would need something quite capable to handle the extra signal instability that comes from this error, and I'm not sure what device handle it the best, or if some VCRs would be able to deal with it better than others.

The ES40v is from the same lineup as the ES10, ES20, EH50, and ES30, and share some of the DVD recording side those. The ES10 has as mentioned excellent stabilizing features, the ES20 less so, so I'm not sure which is closer.

Last edited by hodgey; 08-19-2020 at 09:09 AM.
08-19-2020, 09:16 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
Does the effect happen if you play it on another VCR to a TV?
Yes, that looks to be the case. Oh well, it's no big deal. Thanks for the heads up, though