Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-12-2020, 10:26 AM
Free Member

This pretty bad dot crawl keeps cropping up throughout episodes of an old gameshow i watched as a kid.

I've attached an example, see how much shimmering/crawl is on the logo of that red t-shirt. It's mainly red areas that are problematic.

Also worth mentioning i use the 64-bit version of Avisynth. (Avisynth+)

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 Dot Crawl.mp4 (7.46 MB, 35 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-12-2020, 12:43 PM
Free Member

What hardware and what type of analog connectors you're using?
11-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Free Member

Well in this particular case, it was captured from my PVR using a AVerMedia EzRecorder 130 and HDMI splitter.
11-12-2020, 08:46 PM
Free Member

In that case you have to leave with it or get a better HDMI capture device, the right way of doing it though is try to get the files out of the hard drive but this is not for everyone as it requires some IT skills.
11-13-2020, 12:07 AM
Free Member

Oh these files were captured years ago and i no longer have that PVR now anyway. I think it's pretty much impossible to get the files directly off a Virgin Media V+ box anyway as the files are all encrypted/scrambled, so only way was to use an external recorder. It's not like the Sky boxes were you can just take the HDD out and connect to your computer and recover the files using particular software.

Though i do think in this case it's MPEG compression of an analog source (the show was filmed on video) and was shown like that on the digital tv channel.
11-13-2020, 12:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
That looks like Double Dare.
Is it?
The conversation changes on whether this was NTSC content originally, or PAL native.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-13-2020, 02:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
Oh these files were captured years ago and i no longer have that PVR now anyway. I think it's pretty much impossible to get the files directly off a Virgin Media V+ box anyway as the files are all encrypted/scrambled, so only way was to use an external recorder. It's not like the Sky boxes were you can just take the HDD out and connect to your computer and recover the files using particular software.

Though i do think in this case it's MPEG compression of an analog source (the show was filmed on video) and was shown like that on the digital tv channel.
Oh trust me there is a way, Linux and script software, That's why I said it is not for everybody. Never forget "If there is a will, there is a way".
11-13-2020, 03:26 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
That looks like Double Dare.
Is it?
The conversation changes on whether this was NTSC content originally, or PAL native.
No this is Fun House Though the format was very similar to Double Dare. This is the UK version so it's PAL native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Oh trust me there is a way, Linux and script software, That's why I said it is not for everybody. Never forget "If there is a will, there is a way".
Oh i was told otherwise! It definitely would've been my preferred method.

I actually do have two old Sky+ boxes and hoping to see what recordings are on them. But i read somewhere you can only extract the shows/files that were recorded on free to air channels? Meaning you can't access the ones recorded on pay tv. But i'm sure there's some sort of way to get them off
The following users thank Master Tape for this useful post: lordsmurf (11-13-2020)
11-13-2020, 03:45 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
More details?

I've read about this before on UK sites, but it's apparently heavily dependent on the model of the DVR. So perhaps sharing that exact model number is in order.

Such things were actually possible with TiVo and DirecTV/DISH DVRs in years past, but no more. I lost a TiVo a year or so ago, and with it quite a few recordings of unreleased shows (namely a Decades marathon), and was SOL to attempt drive recovery. It was only 2 months old, and I cancelled the service. Back to DVD recorders I went, TiVo is PITA. I almost exclusively record 4x3 SD anyway, classics shows and toons.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs