Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-06-2021, 10:30 AM
Free Member

Hey, gang.

I'm getting solid sync in my transfers from the VCR's line TBC and a DV TBC1000 as well, but one other timing issue is frustrating me.

Especially when the material is in SLP and more than a generation away from the original, deinterlacing can turns vertical lines into ragged edges. You've probably seen it: edges that look furry or scruffy when they should be straight, as the scanlines and combined fields don't quite line up.

Computers, man. Seems like this is some math they'd be able to handle. No more complicated than taking a pile of papers off the desk and squaring them up on the top of the desk by tapping one edge -- I think the technical term is "jogging" the pages. But if such a process exists for video, I don't know about it. I don't see it in Virtualdub, anyway.

Maybe you do? Share?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-06-2021, 05:28 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Not all deinterlacers are good.
Are you using QTGMC? If so, what are the settings?

VirtualDub, at best, uses Yadif. It has lots of jaggy noise, not suggested.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
05-06-2021, 09:18 PM
Free Member

When I use QTGMC, via Hybrid, I go with Faster, as you've recommended in past. Most of the time, though, I'm going with Virtualdub, after having found the CCD filter, master blend, and the option to use Neat Video when appropriate. I'm using yadif with frame double in there. It feels like what I'm seeing is some variability in horizontal timing between different lines in the field. The kind of thing that might have been baked into the signal in 1992 when someone dubbed it from one cheap VCR to another cheap VCR, and reproduced faithfully by today's TBCs which have sworn an oath to play what's on the tape, not what should have been on the tape back in 1992. Does QTGMC straighten out that kind of thing? If so, I'm inclined to say it'll be worth the extra steps. But I've really been digging getting all the processing done in vdub and feeding an enormous file to an encoder to chew on. Just me whining.