Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-10-2021, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Hi,

So I was just wondering, is the line tbc in high-end VCRs replaceable by software processing?

I know what it is and if we take the "definition" from http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...#ixzz6xPlE9kbe

Quote:
clean the visual quality, by:
- removing or reducing chroma noise (the red/blue colored mist found in all VHS tape formats)
- removing geometric distortions from the image, such as the wiggling appearance of older video, as if viewed through a rippling pond or bathtub (aka "horizontal" jitter)
Very often VCR TBCs are merged with embedded noise reduction circuits, which use the power of the TBC to further suppress or remove grain and prevent color bleeding. For example, the DNR/TBC unit found inside the higher end JVC S-VHS and D-VHS professional and prosumer VCRs

- Chroma bleeding and chroma issues can be handled with filters.
- Distortions and jitter are much trickier but still something can be done with filters too
- The noise reduction circuits in a lot of situations seems to cause a loss of details, specially when using violent NR in 2000s technology, what do we still trust these? aren't today's algorithms used in NR filter much more efficient? specially especially with spatio-temporal filtering that avoids applying the filter blindly and harming parts of the vide unnecessarily.

- " remove grain and prevent color bleeding" same here, degrain, edge masking,DeBlot filter, etc to fix these.

So I was wondering why are line TBC+NR still useful or recommended even though it seems like we have better software-side alternative

is there anything I am missing here or that I don't understand properly about line-tbc?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-10-2021, 02:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
No.

The main aspect of line TBC is the wiggle and movement distortion. Software cannot do anything for that. It requires non-visual pre-digitized signal. There's currently some R&D for post-capture line TBC, but understand that's been thecase for 20 years now.

The chroma noise is really more DNR, but baked into almost all line TBCs (mostly those in VCRs).

And line TBC isn't frame TBC.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: mbassiouny (06-10-2021)