Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-26-2020, 05:25 PM
Free Member

The first two are SVHS decks. Decent quality I think but no TBC, and they're quite old so how well they would work would depend a lot on the condition. The 630 is a standard hi-fi deck, but a bit newer.
04-28-2020, 06:54 PM
Free Member

Has anyone had any experience with a Mitsu HS-HD2000U? I'm asking since I'm seriously considering getting one because I can't find any good JVC or Panasonic for under $400 on eBay (maybe a S9500U for $450 or an AG-1970 for $250 + $46 shipping or a S7500U for $999 + 30 shipping as of writing this , marketplace availability is all over the place too) + I can turn off the TBC (unlike my main HM-DH30000U/basically any other D-VHS deck), which can really help me on tapes with tearing when paired with my ES15. It's driving me crazy and it sucks that there's nothing I can do about it other than just buy a new VCR
04-30-2020, 03:13 AM
Free Member

Hello all,

I've been researching the Philips VR1100. I found some information online that says this is an NTSC model, but I see here that it is listed as a PAL. Did it come in both varieties, or is the other information I found simply wrong?

Cheers,
WJR
04-30-2020, 07:04 AM
Free Member

It's certainly a PAL model, got one here. Never found anything about a NTSC version. There is a VR1010 that is multi-system though (no TBC).
08-24-2020, 05:01 PM
Free Member

How advisable is it (in the UK) to buy a JVC player off the list in post 21 that's not on the list in post 3 (HR-S7860EK for example)?

Thanks for the thread and advice.
08-24-2020, 06:10 PM
Free Member

That one should be fine I think, it features TBC/DNR and all that jazz. (Though oddly enough that model has the TBC/DNR feature in the menu instead of a button on the front.) I think it's a bit newer than the HR-S7800EK. The list in post 3 doesn't cover every model variation like different tuners and such, but all hr-S78xx models should have the desired features.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: andykn (08-24-2020)
08-29-2020, 06:42 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
That one should be fine I think, it features TBC/DNR and all that jazz. (Though oddly enough that model has the TBC/DNR feature in the menu instead of a button on the front.) I think it's a bit newer than the HR-S7800EK. The list in post 3 doesn't cover every model variation like different tuners and such, but all hr-S78xx models should have the desired features.
Damn, sold for 140 quid, thanks for the advice though, useful for the next one:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...K/143696237136

-- merged --

I dug out my old Panasonic catalogue from when I bought my recently died NV-HD660; it's dated 1996 and the two S-VHS recorders in it are the NV-HS1000, advertised as having TBC, and the NV-HS900.

Edit: in the UK.

-- merged --

Just lost out on this Philips VR1000, went for 114.44 GBP:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53...m/303662115460
08-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambo2000 View Post
Hi There
I was just after some opinions please.
I have an opportunity to buy a JVC HR DVS2 for $250. Is this 1)a good price and 2)worth it?
I'm just trying to get a TBC based SVHS unit to get the best VHS playback. I currently have a JVC 5700.
I don't need the mini dv bit but finding a s-vhs unit is difficult at the best of times. So just want to know if this is a decent unit for VHS playback?
many thanks!
The DVS2/SRV20 is a somewhat fragile model. The deck is heavy, and front-heavy. Yet the front panel is easily destroyed, even in the factory box (not enough foam cushioning). The resin-like plastic chips and cracks, and shatters with only moderate droppage or force (ie, normal shipping). The panel itself is poorly constructed, with lots of pressure switches using plastic pieces, constructed from the same brittle plastics. The screws are too small, the plastic posts are using soft plastics, and vibration loosens everything. The deck can literally fall apart in shipping, and arrive DOA.

The DV deck is worthless, and usually just eat tapes, an infamous design flaw of JVC DV decks.

But we buy it for the S-VHS deck these days. This model was mostly sold B2B, and tends to be abused. I see more decks with bad heads than not, including so-called "working/tested" decks from eBay. I don't believe I've ever come across as DVS2/SRV20 deck that ranked above B+ on my VCR grading scale. The B+ grade is based on tracking performance, which is itself also a statement on head wear and overall deck condition.

I refuse to work on this model of JVC anymore. That should tell you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lojelo5 View Post
Hi guys
I have a slight problem with my 7722 it needs re-aligning so had to get another machine till I can get it fixed.
Just won a 8600ek on the ebay, not much about this machine on here is it a good worthy replacement? Only using it for capturing.
Thanks for any info on this machine.
That model should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtroumpfs View Post
hello sir,
I would like to find a VCR (PAL) to transfer my VHS tape to PC. I need only the best VCR for good audio output.
Could you please suggest me JVC or Panasonic? and which model is the best choice?
Thank you so much.
How many tapes?
What recording mode are your VHS tapes?
- SP, LP, EP/SLP, or a mix? If mix, % of each?
- If not known, guestimate. (What you don't want to do is put these tapes in a ratty old VCR, and have the tapes get damaged.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
The JVC HR-S 7722 is the same as the JVC HR-S 7700 from the year 2000. But with different color. The JVC 7700 was the first who offers the Expanded Technology here in europe.
The JVC HR-S8600 is the little brother of the legend HR-S9600. Both from 1999. There should be no difference except the 9600 offers to set and delete index markers and the foldable front panel.
Just as a reminder the Philips VR1500 based on the JVC HR-S8600.
If someone wish to have an JVC HR-S9600 (expensive), you should look out for the 8600 or the philips. You can save some money and they are often in better conditions.
Quote:
I think the VR1500 does not have the dynamic drum, which arguably is a plus.
Most of the PAL HR-S8x00 seems to be similar to the respective US HR-S7x00 model from what I've gathered. The PAL HR-S7xxx seem to be slightly cut down versions, e.g the 7600 lacks the dynamic drum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogilein View Post
Unfortunately not. The Philips VR1500 has the dynamic drum.
The Philips VR1600 which based on the JVC HR-S8700 has no dynamic drum if I remember right.
The Philips VR1000 based on the JVC HR-S7600.
Just to remember if someone read this. I'm only talking about europe PAL VCR's. I don't know anything about NTSC US VCR's if this are equal to europe versions.
Good info, good tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonas View Post
JVC HR-S5500E vs PANASONIC NV-FS90 vs PANASONIC NV-HD630 - which one I should select? All are at the same price level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-Jan View Post
None of them...these are very normal VHS, the edit functions you don't need.....
Go for a combo recorder or a DVD/HDD recorder with component output,(Panasonic) (+ Intensity Shuttle) or look for a VCR with a build in TBC, (JVC)
If you can get a professional TBC you can use almost any VHS VCR as source for capture, they are rare and expensive, Sometimes lordsmurf has some equipment available.
Quote:
The first two are SVHS decks. Decent quality I think but no TBC, and they're quite old so how well they would work would depend a lot on the condition. The 630 is a standard hi-fi deck, but a bit newer.
As mentioned, neither of those decks is recommended. Hence why not listed (and is wasn't an oversight). I may need to make a list of specifically NOT recommended decks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENunn View Post
Has anyone had any experience with a Mitsu HS-HD2000U? I'm asking since I'm seriously considering getting one because I can't find any good JVC or Panasonic for under $400 on eBay (maybe a S9500U for $450 or an AG-1970 for $250 + $46 shipping or a S7500U for $999 + 30 shipping as of writing this , marketplace availability is all over the place too) + I can turn off the TBC (unlike my main HM-DH30000U/basically any other D-VHS deck), which can really help me on tapes with tearing when paired with my ES15. It's driving me crazy and it sucks that there's nothing I can do about it other than just buy a new VCR
D-VHS decks are generally only good for SP mode VHS tapes. It's not that the units cannot play LP or EP/SLP, but simply do a miserable job at it. So to me, that model decks is always disqualified. The HS-HD2000U in particular has touchy audio tracking from my experience, so I'd doubly avoid it for VHS (or S-VHS) tape playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykn View Post
How advisable is it (in the UK) to buy a JVC player off the list in post 21 that's not on the list in post 3 (HR-S7860EK for example)?
Thanks for the thread and advice.
Quote:
The 7860 is a fine deck, a close relative of my own HR-S7965EK.

Quote:
sold for 140 quid
Just lost out on this Philips VR1000, went for 114.44 GBP:
You need to understand that eBay is gambling, not buying. Sellers on eBay are rarely video-savvy. When most folks see a picture -- any picture, of any quality -- they deem it to be "working". Of course, that's ridiculous. Same goes for "tested". The person sticks in a ratty old SP mode retail VHS tape, sees anything on screen, and it passes their worthless idea of a test. VCRshop.nl is buying, eBay is gambling.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-29-2020, 05:28 PM
Free Member

Could you share your input on the following?

1) Panasonic PV-9664
2) Panasonic NV-HD670
08-29-2020, 06:22 PM
Free Member

HD670 was an excellent VHS machine. I say was as it was rugged with amorphous heads and simple to use for reliable good quality timeshift work. But now it does not have all the trick features like TBC and NR we need. The other one I don't know I'm afraid.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: retractOffer (08-29-2020)
08-29-2020, 06:45 PM
Free Member

There are at least two NV-HD670s, one PAL one with K mech similar to the more common 610 (I think), and one Multi-system one which more resemples the PAL NV-HD620 and may or may not have the newer simpler Z mechanism. I think the former is pretty nice as far as hi-fi models go, and one of the last with k-mechanism and adjustable picture settings. I'm guessing you may be talking about the latter as you seem to be based in the americas? I have the slightly newer NV-HD630AM multi-system, it seemed to have decent picture quality but I haven't really had a good look into it yet. A bit more nice and sturdy than the Samsung SV-7000W (and similar) multi-system but lacks the conversion functionality and SECAM-L playback those have. They use the same mechs as the SVHS equivialents from Panasonic, but the video ICs are completely different, they used some Philips chips in most of the NV-HD models rather than their own for some reason. It may be one of the better VCRs for PAL tapes in the US short of importing a PAL SVHS deck.

Don't know much about the PV-9664 as it's NTSC-only model, so someone else has to chime in there.

They're both standard VHS Hi-Fi models without any TBC or other digital stuff. So, if you plan to use them for capturing you would want to pair them with a Panasonic DMR-ES10 or other DVR with line-TBC functionality on pass-through, but I'm not sure if there's much you can get that supports PAL if you are in the US. Just like on VCRs, A number of PAL DVRs had some support for NTSC, including the ES10, but the reverse was not really thing (even though the hardware is pretty much the same).
08-29-2020, 06:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
HD670 was an excellent VHS machine. I say was as it was rugged with amorphous heads and simple to use for reliable good quality timeshift work. But now it does not have all the trick features like TBC and NR we need. The other one I don't know I'm afraid.
When you say "now" do you mean the newer builds of the device? I've found it on craigslist. I can ask when it was bought if it determines whether or no it has those features.

To give you a little bit of background, I have digitized my PAL VHS-C tapes using the camcorder that recorded them (Panasonic NV-VS70EN), but there is a bit of a halo around the people's faces. I have tried with another exact model camcorder and I still see the issue. Now, I am not sure if this is because of the camcorder's playback capabilities or it's intrinsic to VHS-C tapes. Can the HD670 help in this regard?
08-29-2020, 07:33 PM
Free Member

For capturing tapes the high-end super-vhs decks with TBC are the the ones that can give the best quality. The TBC function in the VCR stabilizes the unstable video signal coming off the tapes and significantly reduces horizontal wiggling you would otherwise get. This isn't a feature any of those two models have.

Does the NV-HD670 you are looking at look like this or this? The first one is the older PAL model quasipal is talking aboutt, the other is the slightly newer multi-system one.

Panasonic VCRs often sharpen a bit much by default which can cause haloing, and on most of the newer ones like the newer of the two they removed the ability to adjust anything about the picture for whatever reason. It may also be something that's on the tape though. The older NV-HD670 has a sharpness knob and a button to turn off the CVC auto-adjustment function. So if it's the multi-system one it may not be any better than your camcorder. Your camcorder also has the coveted TBC/DNR functionality, it will be very hard to find anything else in the US that can play PAL tapes and has that so it will be hard to beat it without importing a high-end PAL SVHS deck. It's also a S-VHS camcorder, so if you recorded in S-VHS format (it can record SVHS to normal tapes with SVHS-ET), you won't be able to play them back on either of those decks (I don't think the PV-9664 will play PAL tapes at all.).
08-29-2020, 08:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
For capturing tapes the high-end super-vhs decks with TBC are the the ones that can give the best quality. The TBC function in the VCR stabilizes the unstable video signal coming off the tapes and significantly reduces horizontal wiggling you would otherwise get. This isn't a feature any of those two models have.

Does the NV-HD670 you are looking at look like this or this? The first one is the older PAL model quasipal is talking aboutt, the other is the slightly newer multi-system one.

Panasonic VCRs often sharpen a bit much by default which can cause haloing, and on most of the newer ones like the newer of the two they removed the ability to adjust anything about the picture for whatever reason. It may also be something that's on the tape though. The older NV-HD670 has a sharpness knob and a button to turn off the CVC auto-adjustment function. So if it's the multi-system one it may not be any better than your camcorder. Your camcorder also has the coveted TBC/DNR functionality, it will be very hard to find anything else in the US that can play PAL tapes and has that so it will be hard to beat it without importing a high-end PAL SVHS deck. It's also a S-VHS camcorder, so if you recorded in S-VHS format (it can record SVHS to normal tapes with SVHS-ET), you won't be able to play them back on either of those decks (I don't think the PV-9664 will play PAL tapes at all.).
Thank you for your response. It is the latter. I think I'm left with no choice
08-30-2020, 03:58 AM
Free Member

Just to add about the haloing, it may even be part of the recording. Some camcorders do this and some old broadcasts too. But you don't want to add to it with adding halos to the halos! Panasonic decks do sharpen - it was essential to give not only crisper edges but cleaner colour too on CRT sets. My main TV is CRT and if you turn the sharpening down or off you are left with an old fashioned wishy washy faded look. You soon want to sharpen again. That's why it's baked into so many VCR's. But for capturing do keep looking for a machine with such manual setting. It's important for best results if you want to make them viewable on modern screens.

Only one deck I have - think it's the AG8700 - has no option to sharpen at all and looks great but this is a super expensive machine for studio use. And no LP playback. No machine is perfect.
08-30-2020, 05:18 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The 7860 is a fine deck, a close relative of my own HR-S7965EK.

You need to understand that eBay is gambling, not buying. Sellers on eBay are rarely video-savvy. When most folks see a picture -- any picture, of any quality -- they deem it to be "working". Of course, that's ridiculous. Same goes for "tested". The person sticks in a ratty old SP mode retail VHS tape, sees anything on screen, and it passes their worthless idea of a test. VCRshop.nl is buying, eBay is gambling.
Yes, I do understand that ebay is a gamble but the cheapest refurb TBC VCR on VCRshop.nl is 200 Euro plus postage to the UK. For what I need it for I think I'll get the odd prized recording digitised for a tenner each and take my chances for my other TV recordings. I can always sell on any I buy that are too below par without too much of a loss.
09-02-2020, 01:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I do understand
for a tenner each and take my chances
As long as you understand the nature of it, being gambling and not buying. Good luck!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-07-2020, 03:36 PM
Free Member

Hi All,

I have an option to buy either JVC HR-S7700EU or Panasonic NV-HS1000.
Which one would be a better buy?
Can't decide as both of them are quite good from what I know.
Panasonic NV-HS1000 offer is a bit more expensive though.
Does it worth extra over JVC HR-S7700EU?

Thanks
10-21-2020, 07:47 AM
Free Member

I'm sad I ordered a second hand HR-S7955MS I dont see TBC in the menu Is there any reasons ?

Ehm, according to the service manuel its only included in the EU/EK version.

-- merged --

Service Manual :
Sans titre.jpg

10-21-2020, 10:32 AM
Free Member

Hello i am thinking to buy a complement to my jvc hm-dr10000eu pal model.
This vcr works fine but id like to have another one to complement this one.
What i looking for, obviusly, best picture and sound quality possible for my vhs and s-vhs tapes.
I know the panasonic nv-hs1000 is a good choice and is very appreciate for the people,there are a lot of units to sell in ebay, but i was reading in the forum that the jvc hr-s9700 is better than panasonic.
As i said i am looking the best picture and sound quality possible, i dont know if those vcr (both the panasonic and the jvc) are better or worst than my jvc d-vhs deck but hope you can help me to choose the correct one.
Obviusly i cant buy both because i have no phisical space to have so many decks, I have a Beta Hifi Sanyo vtc-m40 and Superbeta Sony Sl-Hf950 plus the d-vhs jvc (all decks are PAL MODE)and as i say i have no physical space to buy both the panasonic and the jvc.
Thanks