02-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Free Member

I want to do this professionaly. After some research I think I have the idea down. So I think for my chain if will be vcr-tbc-1000-signvideo proc amp-sign video image enhancer-computer.

I am having problems finding a vcr. So far I found a mitubisi 2000u but it was $350! Do you know where I could get a good one for cheaper? Ill keep looking on ebay of course. Also to do the 8mm tapes should I get a camcorder or stand alone player?

Also do I really need a standalone tbc or will the one in the vcr be ok? And to go to my computer I was thinking a canopuss advc110 or one of those ati all in wonder cards. What would be the better choice?

As for software I have a pretty good idea about that. But for the encoder what should I use? It seems procoder is a popular choice, but how is that compared to cinema craft encoder or something like that? And what kind of dvds should I use? Verbaitem or taio yuden?

Thanks for the help
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Answers divided by section --- a number of links in there too, watch for them, click for more information.

Proposed workflow

This is definitely a good chain:
  • S-VHS VCR with TBC+DNR
    • good external TBC, like the DataVideo TBC-1000
      • SignVideo video processing amplifier (proc amp)
        • detailer, like SignVideo DR-1000 image enhancer
My only note would be to only use the proc amp and detailer when needed. Always remove devices from the chain when not in use.

Because of how MPEG encoding works, sometimes using a detailer will enhance noise (or even over-correct the edge), and that lends itself to MPEG noise later on. Watch for that. Be smart when using the detailers.

Buying good S-VHS VCR

A good S-VHS VCR with TBC, in new or like-new condition, can still reasonably sell for $300-500. Brand new, many models were much higher in price. These kind of VCRs are no longer made, so they still hold good value on the second-hand markets.

That said, however, sometimes you can find a great machine for $200-250 (or a not-so-awesome machine for $100-150). It really depends on model and condition. When supply is high on eBay, for example, prices can be lower. For a year or two there, some machines were more available than others, and it led to a false low-price plateau that has largely re-corrected itself in the past year.

eBay, craigslist, ioffer, garage sales, pawn shops -- those are the typical locations for finding equipment. Moreso eBay than the others.

Refer to the S-VHS VCR buying guide for a list of preferred/suggested models.

Capture cards

For maximum quality -- especially if you want to restore or edit the video -- I'd avoid DV compression. There was a recent conversation about the limitations and negatives of DV compressed on the forum.

An ATI All In Wonder cards is an excellent choice, if you have a PCI (not PCI-express) or AGP slot available. You're best off with Windows XP, too, but Vista may work. Not sure about Win 7. Video work is generally best done on XP machines, because of the wider support of the available hardware and software for video -- especially the higher-end stuff.

In fact, I have several extra ATI AIW cards in working condition available, for $75 each. If you're interested.

MPEG encoding

What's your budget for MPEG encoding software?

I no longer suggest Procoder (not since Grass Valley bought out Canopus), and CinemaCraft has always made noisy MPEG encodes compared even to budget/free options. I far, far prefer MainConcept Reference (EN for English, top of page). MC encodes cleanly, and with high quality. If those are too pricey, there are some other choices and work-arounds. (TMPGEnc Plus, for example, or using Adobe Premiere Elements for its encoding abilities.)

You need to use the best blank DVDs possible. Yes, Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. See the blank DVD media FAQ for more information, and links to the best prices on blank DVDs.

Welcome to the site

I'm sure you'll find this place quite helpful and informative as you get into video projects. Consider upgrading to Premium Membership, it's about the same price as a magazine or book on the subject -- but probably far more useful.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Free Member

Thanks!!! So far this place has been extremly helpful! So for the capture card what one should I get? As long as it has svideo will I be ok?
02-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

If your computer has an AGP slot, I'd go for the ATI All In Wonder.

When it comes to capture cards, don't worry so much about brands -- look instead at the card model, and what kind of compression it does (or does not) support.

The ATI AIW Radeon card supports MPEG-2, uncompressed/lossless AVI, or DV if you want (not much point in DV when you have lossless available!). Those are older cards, not sold new in stores, don't expect to find one on the shelf of Best Buy or brand new from somesite.com (newegg, etc). The best video capture cards, DVD recorders and VCRs are no longer made new.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Free Member

Ohh ok. Thanks