01-10-2010, 05:11 AM
Premium Member

I started looking in to these types of machines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIDEO-TBC-TIME-B...item51852bd37c

This machine basically says it can edit up many of the picture flaws we have talked about in these forums. Something with a Chroma filter? And all these other magical features that would clean up a VHS tape.

The companies who make these items, I never heard of. My question is these big powered units look like they can do more than those little box units posted above. Sometimes these units are listed pretty cheap on ebay. Sometimes they are in the thousands. I understand that sometimes sellers have no idea what they have. However as a consumer, I really don't know what would work. I am guessing, you have the buy the unit, test it out, if it helps, keep it, if not re-sell it.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

That's just a proc amp. The "chroma" controls mentioned here change hue and saturation. The "setup" is the black level / IRE control, sort of like "contrast". The "level" control is sort of like "brightness". Honestly, nothing special here.

It is a For.A brand/make TBC --a professional TBC. This particular one will probably work great for most anything you want to do with it. But you'll pay for it.

FOR.A_FA-800A_TIME_BASE_CORRECTOR_B22_N4.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

FOR.A_FA-800A_TIME_BASE_CORRECTOR_B22_N5.jpg

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

The only issue I foresee is two-fold:
  1. You'll need BNC adapters.
  2. Some broadcast grade TBCs require external sync, external audio mix, and things of that nature. I'm not familiar with this exact model, so I can't advise further -- I can just warn about possible problems.
A standard brand-new AVT-8710 is only $225 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166

And then a brand-new SignVideo proc amp is just $450 from http://signvideo.com/single_dual_pro...-processor.htm

So $675 for a user-ready setup, and maybe $25 or so cheaper.

As far as video cleanup hardware goes -- gear to remove chroma noise, motion noise, etc -- most of that equipment is at least $10k or more pur unit, and it comes with a list of quirks. And again with external sync, audio, BNC, etc. That's even out of my budget. Our best solution is correction from playback in the VCR, followed by further hardware tweaks, end-capped by software work in any number of programs (VirtualDub is a good place to start).

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Moved post to its own new thread, wasn't really about the AVT-8710 from that other post.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!