03-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
There can be resolution loss on TBCs, DataVideo can be more guilty than others (and it varies unit to unit, source to source), but the AVT-8710 rarely gets this complaint.
My goal: I am trying to backup my copy-protected personal VHS tape collection to DVD-R with absolute minimum possible loss of quality.

I just backed up two VHS tapes to DVD-R using a ~$100 DiMax unit I bought online awhile back. The unit successfully removed the Macrovision, but seriously degraded the image resolution. The result looks kind of like a bad EP recording. This is unacceptable to me.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if a TBC might be a better choice, but now read this last paragraph where you mention TBCs can get this same complaint. Before I lay down $225 or so an AVT-8710, which sounds good, I thought I'd ask if you still think this is the best value TBC for the money. Also, I'm not familiar with the term "proc amp" but since you don't like the one on the AVT-8710, is there something else you would recommend instead?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Yes, the TBC will most definitely perform better than the copy removers. The selective-carving method used by those cheap devices can harm a signal, unlike the whole-signal purifications done by the true TBCs.

I assure you that a slight loss of resolution is nowhere near the "bad EP recording" you're referring to. To see this loss of resolution, you really have to analyze the signal, often with test patterns and other never-in-the-real-world type videos.

Indeed, the AVT-8710 is one of the best units available AND it comes at one of the lowest prices available. Win, win!

Get it at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3167/KBID/4166 (best price, reliable merchant!)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!