04-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Free Member

Hi, I hope you will take a minute and help me. You seem to be an expert. I am interested in 2 things. I have a lot of old vhs tapes. My daughter is a singer and we recorded a lot starting in the 80's. I want to convert all these to dvd. I am also thinking about making this a business. So I want to start with good equipment. I've been reading the forums a lot, but I feel I need pretty specific help at this point.

I've been looking for the JVC HR-S9000 and it seems these no longer exist. I called B & H and was told to go to the professional line JVC SR-MV45us or 55us. I have been able to find some of these. Is this a good choice. Do these have the tbc built in?

Also, do I also need the separate tbc unit? Please advise on what equipment I need. I have a good computer. I convert with a canopus advc 110.

I have been using pinnacle studio for my editing. but, based on my research, I think I need to use the Adobe Premiere.

I believe I have a good video card. I'll try to find out what it is if you need to know. Thanks so much. I've notice that you give detailed explanations to even the simplest dumbest requests.

Also, if you think it would help others, I'm fine with posting this question and answer in the forum. I just didn't know which one it should go in. Thanks again, j

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'll answer this tomorrow.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Free Member

Thanks so much. One correction, don't know if it matters really, but I meant to say that I plan to edit with Adobe premiere pro. I have done a lot of editing in the past, using my more recent mini-dv tapes. I can load them easily from my camera. My daughter also did a lot of plays and I've done lots of editing and dvd burning of those and done slide shows for organizations. So, I really want to be able to get creative and have fun with it. I thought I would start my little business with just scanning photos and creating photo slide shows. I have a pretty good photo scanner. Would love advice on that type project as well, if you get involved in that. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. It's like stumbling around in the dark to start this without local help. I'm also very good with you just pointing me to some good threads to read. Thanks again, look forward to hearing from you.

p.s. My daughter is a fantastic actress and singer and has done a lot of work in Dallas as a musical theatre actress. I tell you this because you might be involved in a project that could involve her and we're always looking for good contacts. She's actually in California right now on vacation, but also meeting with some contacts to get advice. She and her husband plan to move there or New York in the spring. So if that's something you're into, I would love to send you links to take a look at her.
04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

The JVC HR-S9000 isn't sold anymore, and is not one of the suggested models.
Suggested VCRs are in this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html
The professional JVC SR-MV45US and/or JVC SR-MV55US both make the list as suggested VCRs for capturing/transferring VHS.

An external TBC is generally unavoidable. It acts as a frame sync, which the VCR and internal TBC does not do. The Canopus DV converter also does not act as frame sync. With a frame sync, frames will be dropped, audio may drift out of sync, and the entire capture/recording process may simply abort. VHS is an unstable video format, and digital conversion equipment expects perfectly sync'd input.

Canopus ADVC boxes are not the best, but will work without much effort. I can sense that you're already getting in a bit over your head now, so I don't want to further confuse you. It's "good enough" for your situation, with your own daughter's tapes. The disadvantages of DV conversion have been discussed many times here. You'll get better quality with other cards (ATI 600 USB, for example), using non-DV formats like Huffyuv AVI.

Premiere is an excellent editor. But don't get too creative, and make the video gaudy, with all kinds of asinine effects and wipes. A lot of people make the mistake of trying to use every option available. Star wipe this, fade that, etc. Ugh. Yuck!

Generally speaking, video/photo services are harder than you think. You can't use general consumer equipment for the best quality of work, and then quality of your sources (from clients) varies highly. It sounds like a great idea on paper, but you really need to be a seasoned pro to handle that sort of work. It's not much different than trying to be a professional exterminator by simply buying a can of Raid from Walmart.

I wish your daughter well.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Free Member

I'm back and still searching. I just ended up putting this whole project aside. But, now I know I've got to take care of these videos or I'm going to lose them. So, I'm back on the forums trying to make a good decision about this equipment. Been reading for 3 days and taking notes. There are so many options and I can't afford to experiment. Thanks so much for all you advice.
12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Putting projects on hold is very common. It can be expensive, and it has a learning curve. That means time to save, time to learn.

This is exactly what I'm doing right now -- making workflow guides on what to use for several scenarios. Throughout December and January, I'll be posting new ones.

In general, you need three items:
- good capture card, and it needs to work with the OS on the computer (Windows XP preferred, more choices of cards)
- good VCR (9600-9911 was a great choice)
- external TBC

VirtualDub can capture. Something like Adobe Premiere Elements/Pro to edit.

This assumes VHS to DVD/Blu-ray, maybe some restoration and/or editing, plenty of hard drive space (2tb+).

The workflow guides will cover more.

If you have specific questions, ask.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs