Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Free Member

Many/most of my tapes i want to transfer are commerical ones, most are from smaller independant companies and are obscure titles which may have weak or weaker copy protection?. They still have copying/FBI warnings etc at the start of the tapes. Is there varying grades/strengths of copy protection?

So i need some tapes that are known to definitely have strong macrovision so i am able to test various TBC's when i get them so i know they function.

Any suggestions (specific titles) on the best tapes with the strongest macrovision?

eg Hollywood moves? Disney moves? Batman? Titanic? Looney Tunes cartoons? or what ever. What are some good suggestions for comericial tapes known to have macrovision? Any particular studios which produced tapes with strong macrovision? Are later 90's early 2000s tapes (last tapes made before the take over vy DVD) made with stronger protection? not sure if this was developed/improved by studios over time to comabat piracy?

I will need to a couple PAL and NTSC tapes. I will most likely be buying them brand new from Amazon UK and USA or maybe ebay Australia if the price is right. There is tonnes out there and really cheap.

Just want to make sure i am set up and ready to test any TBC's when i get them.

Thanks

Last edited by Cyclone82; 04-08-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Disney and Lucas.
Lucas is the worst -- especially those Young Indiana Jones Chronicles tapes.

Amazon has several of the YIJC tapes here: http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...ch-alias%3Daps
About $3 each plus another $3 shipping.
-- Trivia: Before the DVD release box sets, YIJC tapes were unreal $30+ each in the early 2000s!

Liar, Liar (Jim Carey) movie is a test tape here, because it has some ugly anti-copy, too. These are excellent for testing for the presence of Macrovision. If it can be removed by hardware, then virtually any non-artificial error will be, too -- and that's what we're really concerned about.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Free Member

Nice, i will check those out. I actually have a brand new copy of Fantasia (original 1991 release) here so thats one i have already.
Thanks

liar liar is as low as 86 cents on amazon!!!!!!
04-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Free Member

Disney, IIRC, had its own brand of copy-protection. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but given how anal Disney is about distributing their films to the public, I'd bet a cookie they would go the distance to make their VHS's (and Betas?) have extra heavy copy protection. I'd test it out, but my only capture card just bypasses copy protection (then again, the only home-video releases I've tried capping are from Paramount/Nickelodeon, DiC Toontime, and Just For Kids Video, the latter two were probably too cheap to encode MV on there).

I find it kinda odd that certain tapes have especially heavy anti-copy signals, while others have barely any. Weird, eh?