08-20-2018, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

Professional Video Monitors display analog video signals with remarkable clarity. While I mostly see them being used for retro gaming, I'm curious if anyone here uses them while capturing or for any other reason.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-31-2018, 02:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Nope. I used CRTs until 2012, now I just rely on calibrated IPS LCDs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-31-2018, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Other than novelty, would there be any advantage to monitoring video from an interlaced source on a PVM/CRT?
08-31-2018, 03:25 PM
Free Member

Some like the Ikegama, SONY, ect.. include Pulse Cross Monitoring modes, or Color Calibration modes for NTSC signals.. but those are mostly ignored or long gone now. I toyed with the idea for a while, but where are you going to get them serviced? Repair, parts sources? forget it. And they weigh a ton and take up so much space. -- they show up on many auction sites at "take away" prices from College AV labs from time to time, in good shape.. but consider when you want to get rid of one its full of Lead and Recyclers are now allowed to charge you a mint for disposal.. if you can find one.. even recyclers that will accept the toxic waste are disappearing.
09-03-2018, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Nope. I used CRTs until 2012, now I just rely on calibrated IPS LCDs.
I found 2 monitors IPS LCD at Walmart online a few years ago:
View Sonic VP 2365-LED, best darned deal for the money
Let go of the old CRT= Cathode Ray Tube, unless you are starting a museum display, or an old oscilloscope project to show the young students how it used to be, or if you have a family attachement, then no, keep if you have the space, but if your talking about how others will see your finished videos, then use Lord Smurf comments.

Last edited by rocko; 09-03-2018 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Add
09-03-2018, 07:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
View Sonic VP 2365-LED, best darned deal for the money.
That's what I use. Very nice IPS LCDs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-03-2018, 08:05 AM
Free Member

I quit routinely using CRTs years ago due to heat, electricity cost, bulk, and the advent of HD and affordable NLE. But I have a couple small screen monitors around for use with legacy 1980's vintage PCs and related nostalgic purposes.

(PVM included some features not found in TV sets that were important for producing analog video. but not needed in this digital age.)
09-14-2019, 02:35 AM
Free Member

I still have 3 CRT broadcast monitors, two of them being 9 inch (Panasonic and Ikegami), and a 14 inch Sony BVM monitor. I plan to keep my BVM for eventual retro gaming since its best for the older gaming consoles that I still have.

For the record, there is still some value in the monitors, mostly for monitoring the signal while capturing, since doing it by software on the PC can be choppy. Plus (to me at least) I also use them to do searches on materials before capture in a separate setup, or to quickly check out a piece of equipment that isn't connected in the signal chain. In the days of old two monitors were always used in a linear editing setting with two pro decks working together editing a program.

All of my analog monitors still work great with no issues....of course if they eventually do fail I won't replace them. The Sony BVM I gotten from a guy at a small TV station several years ago. The only reason I would hold on to the BVM is that while a CRT TV is best for retro gaming, I don't have the space nor feel like lugging a heavy television around. The last one I dealt with was about 200lbs. Never again.
09-14-2019, 05:07 AM
Free Member

Getting rid of old CRT-based monitors and TVs has become a bit of a pain. Almost no one wants them and the many people want to charge for disposal.

Tags
crt, pvm