Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-24-2020, 09:35 AM
Free Member

Dear Sir,

I just registered as new member in this forum. I would like to seek for help and assistance regarding suggested instrument or the best way to convert VHS to DVD for a good video quality.

For your information, I had two sets of PAL VCR (consumer version), which were Sony VCR SLV-KH3PS & JVC VCR HR-J781AM, for which both had only composite output, two sets of Panasonic DMR-ES10 for pass-through, and 1 Hauppauge HD PVR. Usually, when I convert VHS, I used this method which is direct from VCR to DVD Recorder. However, I realised that the DVD quality produced is not satisfactory.

I would like to inquire on three issues:

First, can you suggest to me a suitable PAL DVD recorder that can generate good video quality? Is Panasonic DMR-EZ49V a good choice?

Second, if I want to get digital video to be transferred to my computer to be processed later, I’ve been using Hauppauge HD PVR. This unit produced m2ts, ts and mp4. I usually chose progressive output setting on my DVD Recorder. Then, I used a component cable to get the progressive video quality. Is this the best way to get good video quality? Is there any other way that you may suggest?

Third, can you suggest a good PAL VCR that can easily be obtained from e-bay? I would really appreciate your help. Thank you in advance.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
What source? LSI based recorders are best for VHS sources.

Capturing to H.264 is not good, MPEG can be good. More details needed.

VCRs: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs