03-05-2022, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

I can't find any feedback on the JVC DR-MV79 unit, which has a DVD recorder and VHS player combo unit. While I would not use the DVD recorder in my workflow, I'm wondering if the S-Video output is also used for the VHS side of the unit.

I looked at a manual for the JVC DR-MV79B. Not sure if the unit with the B is different from the unit without the B in the model number. Anyway, the manual doesn't confirm what I need to know.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-05-2022, 11:50 AM
Free Member

It looks like this is a LG-made unit - these send everything via the internal digitizer so you can use all the outputs though it's connected to the VCR via composite internally, and essentially as if you connected a standalone LG deck via composite to a LG dvd-recorder and connected to the output of that. Some even have HDMI out. I don't know for certainty with this one specifically but most of these use a SAA7137 or related video decoder ic, which is pretty robust to bad video signals but it doesn't do much horizontal jitter correction, so how well it works depends on the tape. I have a similar PAL LG branded one but haven't really tested it all that much.

These also use a LSI logic chipsets may not be the worst for mpeg2 encoding - though idk a lot about that side so maybe someone else can fill in there.

There are some JVC dvd-recorder/vcr combos that are JVC made, including some SVHS ones. Those are completely different and at least the one I have (DR-MX1) does not send the internal vhs output via the internal digitizer to the outputs(though it does have a "progressive scan" mode that can output over component from vhs), so only composite out works for the VHS side.

I think there were a few JVC combo units that were made by Orion as well, not sure if it was only players or if there were dvd-recorder variants of those too. These will be completely different again.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
03-05-2022, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE: I found this description at BHPhoto. What does Quasi S-VHS playback mean?

With multi-format playback capabilities, connectivity to virtually any A/V source, Quasi (S-VHS) playback, coaxial/optical digital-audio outputs, One-Touch (bi-directional) Dubbing, and 12-hour recording capability, your entertainment choices are endless with the JVC DR-MV79B.
03-05-2022, 12:45 PM
Free Member

It means can play back SVHS recording at reduced (VHS) quality. Without the feature trying to play a SVHS recording in a non-SVHS deck gives you a messed up picture

03-05-2022, 03:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
That unit doesn't have LSI. It's a pretty crappy deck.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-05-2022, 05:16 PM
Free Member

Can't say for sure since I haven't found the SM for this one specifically, but LG-branded units from around the time, and earlier and later, use LSI DoMiNo (or successor) mpeg/system ICs. That doesn't meed that they've set up well or do a good job or anything still. (See e.g SM for the LG RC897T) The setup is otherwise completely different to the JVC-made units like the DR-MX1 and similar still.

Otherwise yeah the VCR part of the LG units is pretty meh, not great though as far as late 2000s/early 2010s vcrs at least more mechanically reliable than funai stuff. I've had issues with high pitched whine on linear audio on some of the 20xxs LGs I have, including the dvd-recorder one, not sure if that's also an issue on NTSC ones which have a different vcr video/audio IC.

The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: ThumperStrauss (03-05-2022)

Tags
combo, jvc