06-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Free Member

I’m researching how to transfer old VHS tapes to digital, and all tools only allow for using RCA cable or S-video output. My VCR also has component cable output. Wouldn’t that be a better quality video transfer? Or doesn’t it matter? Why isn’t there a product for using component cable to transfer video?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Free Member

Because the signal recorded on tape is Y/C, and there is no benefit having a "signal manipulation" rather than capturing it in its original form.

However, high end machines do anyhow a signal processing, so for some specific model there can be an interest. User hodgey can help a lot here

A channel on S-VHS / VHS capture and AviSynth restoration https://bit.ly/3mHWbkN
The following users thank lollo2 for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-03-2022)
06-04-2022, 08:19 AM
Free Member

There are capture devices that accept component analog inputs. Whether or not they would provide a better capture than using s-video will depend on ALL the components in the signal capture path.

The video signal is recorded on the analog tape formats (e.g., VHS, SVHS, Video8 Hi8) as a B&W (Y) signal plus a color difference signal (C) similar to how it is broadcast. The C signal is an amplitude and phase modulated carrier that can be decoded to provide the two color difference (R-Y and B-Y) needed to recreate the color image.

S-video vs component decision boils down to can the VCR with component outputs do a better job of decoding the color information from the C format to the R-Y and B-Y signals used in the digital form than the capture device AND can the capture device do a faithful capture of the component signal fed to it. The results are mixed at best.

Some capture cards such as the BMD Intensity Pro 4K are not capable of accurate SD component video capture. Some will struggle with the typical sloppy VHS playback signal.

The fastest path to a proven satisfactory solution is to stick with the s-video capture workflows recommended elsewhere on this site.

My own limited testing with component SD video capture indicate that the original BMD Intensity Pro and the BMD Analog-to-SDI mini converter can work with solid (e.g., signal generator and live camera) component video sources. I have not tested them with a wide range of tapes and VCRs.
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-04-2022)
06-04-2022, 10:14 PM
Free Member

Here's some comparisons between S-Video and Component captures using a Startech USB3HDCAP from a Panasonic EZ-48 combo VCR:

Stills (side by side, 2500 pixels):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cSb...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PHg...ew?usp=sharing

Videos attached.

Attached Files
File Type: avi ST SVideo Pops acft 48-ST snip.avi (83.31 MB, 15 downloads)
File Type: avi ST Component Pops acft 48-ST snip.avi (82.09 MB, 12 downloads)
08-11-2022, 08:22 AM
Free Member

I've personally found that using component instead of S-video for VHS tapes will, though it's a subtle change, often make the colors start to look a little bit 'unnatural'. Think of what normal green grass looks like, then think of the fake green grass on a miniature golf course. That's what using component can start to look like with *some* gear, unless you have stuff like proc amp controls to adjust the levels. I have other equipment that can convert composite and S-video to component and/or RGB and make it look nice, but on other stuff I've used it didn't look natural (i.e. Panasonic DMR-ES15 - I stick with S-video output from mine when I need it).
08-11-2022, 08:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
My own limited testing with component SD video capture indicate that the original BMD Intensity Pro and the BMD Analog-to-SDI mini converter can work with solid (e.g., signal generator and live camera) component video sources. I have not tested them with a wide range of tapes and VCRs.
The intensity pro is the one with the large pigtail adapter for analog video where S-video uses a 2-RCA adapter (sent to Luma and Pb), right? It has been working fine for me with an AG-1980, with and without a frame TBC in the workflow
08-11-2022, 09:06 AM
Free Member

The Intensity Pro is the older, now discontinued, HD model. However, the newer 4K version is unsatisfactory when fed component signals. Both are fine for capturing HDMI input and output and both used the same breakout cable.