02-10-2016, 11:44 PM
Free Member

Hello

I have started converting my old VHSC (as well as my brothers for a gift) and Hi8 Tapes to DVD. I have approx. 50 VHSC and 50+ Hi8 tapes as well as much footage of lacrosse tourneys and misc. from two digital cameras (Sony-rx100, and Sony a6000). It is certainly a time-consuming task. My days are spent multi-tasking, and I've spent more time than I have researching, and am at the confusion point with so much info out there (and here!), past and present and sometimes no way to tell which it is! Luckily, I landed on this great website where I hope can ease the pain. I'd like to do the best with the hardware I have as I'm pretty much on a $0 budget unfortunately. Non-perfection is difficult as a past graphic designer & perfectionist, but I have to get it done as some of my tapes are now 18 years old. I'm also trying to keep it as simple as possible, for the brain that's also aging.

I've converted my brothers 15 VHSC tapes (4 left from Radio Shack that won't fit in the adapter). Most footage on all tapes were originally taped on the "best" settings.

I don't have the Sony analog camcorder anymore, but I still have the Sony Handicam Digital USB streaming DCR-TRV260 NTSC that I taped the Hi8 Tapes from

I've been using a Panasonic DMR-EZ485V (directions not the best!) with Verbatim DVD-R White Hub Printable Disks and am recording to dvd in XP mode. I am going to order Verbatim DVD+R DL 8.5GB 8X DataLifePlus because some of the tapes are turning out to be longer than an hour... so far by only 10 min. I though it would be better not to record on SP, and I couldn't get the flexible recording to work. Not sure how to figure out how much is on the tape without actually watching it, so I've had to run tapes twice to get 1 burned dvd.

I started thinking a little late that I need to back everything up in 2 more places. It would be great if I could upload them to the cloud and family could access all these tapes andI won't have to make any copies for them either. They could make their own maybe? One choice I saw for cloud backup is Amazon with unlimited video for $60 yr. I'm now wondering if I've been going about this backwards. I did some research and found the Elgato Video Capture for $79 on Amazon. It seems to be compatible with my computer and may work to upload the VHS. So, I'm wondering if I should be going from VHS < Elgato < computer/cloud < dvd instead of vhs < dvd < computer/cloud.

I'm using my sons old macbook 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard since my iMac G5 decided to retire itself. I never figured out the imovie on that machine. It was the first version and I didn't find it very user-friendly. I will figure it out on the macbook if I need to. I also have the cable to connect the digital camcorder for the Hi8.

Would anyone have suggestions on the best way to get the tapes and video footage in the cloud and on dvds? My third backup will be to buy an external hard drive. I've run out of space on the macbook anyway with pics and video from the cameras that need backup.

Many thanks in advance for any input!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Remembered

Quote:
I've been using a Panasonic DMR-EZ485V (directions not the best!) with Verbatim DVD-R White Hub Printable Disks and am recording to dvd in XP mode.
XP Mode = not a good idea
DVD Dual Layer = not a good idea

Example 70 minute movie with "FR"
FR = flexible rate

Page 26 in the manual, see picture

I have only the DMR EX49V and DMR EX98V
Only in an emergency [2x per year] I was doing on DVD-RAM
AM PC I cut with Womble...or Xilisoft Video Splitter 2 [direct Stream copy]

The mpeg2 encoder in the two DMR is not so good.
My opinion

Attached Files
File Type: pdf flexible recording.pdf (275.2 KB, 6 downloads)
02-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Free Member

I feel like the least-bad results from your available equipment would be to capture everything via Firewire with the camcorder. I think the realtime MPEG-2 compression of the Panasonic would be worse than recompressing DV with decent settings, and you would have the files on HDD without the need to rip discs.

You could always try transferring both ways and post samples.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-26-2016)