01-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Free Member

Hello, first post here. Thanks for the useful FAQs and stickies.

I'm able to capture my Video 8 tapes using a Canopus ADVC 100 (and may later add TBC AVT-8710) but I have had no luck finding a fast way to split the large files into smaller clips. I have tried optical recognition in both Scenalyzer Live and Premiere Elements 8. Since I have a large number (>40) of tapes to edit down, I could really use a simple workflow to help me scan and break the big .avi files into smaller clips.

If I have to do it manually, are there any tips for faster scanning/cutting of the unwanted footage? Any links to relevant posts would also be great.

Many thanks.
Ion
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Automated editing has never worked. Lots of software claims it -- always consumer (amateur) tools -- and none of it works. Editing is manual often-tedious task, the end, no way around it.

But 40 tapes is not a lot.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Free Member

Many thanks for that. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and edit manually . I asked if I should be "breaking big .AVI files into smaller clips" because some of the files seem rather large e.g., a 3 hour Video 8 tape turned into a single 46 GB file. I thought editing such a large file could prove cumbersome. So now I'm thinking of splitting (manually) these large DV-AVI files into smaller segments, perhaps using Scenalyzer Live, before doing the final edits in Premiere. Is this a reasonable workflow or is there a better way to work with large captured files?

Thanks again
Ion
01-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
It depends on your computer specifically the I/O for drives, but also RAM and CPU. I edit video on a Skylake i7-6700K with SSDs. A 46gb file would cause no issue for me. However, most video is 90 to 120 minutes, so 3 hours is a bit much. For logistics reasons, I would probably at least cut it in half.

Your workflow is reasonable, yes.

To cut already-AVI file, I'd skip Scenalyzer, and use VirtualDub with 'Direct stream copy' option. I feel it gives more control over the timeline.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Ionmitchell (01-27-2017)