06-05-2018, 05:04 AM
Free Member

Morning DigitalFAQ,

Firstly, very nice forums

I’m looking for outline guidance on how to convert digital video/metadata captured in a proprietary format to an open format (e.g. MPEG4).

Other than a sample of the proprietary video, what else is required? E.g description of the proprietary specification (container format, codec etc). Also, would any of the free tools/libraries out there be useful, such as FFmpeg/VLC?

I’ve done some basic research (and continue to search on here) but do not yet know how to go about this so am seeking advice on an outline approach.

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-05-2018, 07:54 AM
Free Member

The first step would be identify it. What is the format of the existing video? What program/hardware was used to capture/record/encode it? Sometimes the file name (extension) can provide a clue. Some times software like Media Info can identify it. You may be able to find information in the file's header that identifies it.

There are a number of "dead" formats around, but it may be possible to find software, or hardware, that can play or convert it.

FWIW: A number of years ago I was given some CDs with encoded video (from historical event films) on them. They were encoded in an early variant of the defunct Intel Indeo Video (if I recall correctly) format and required a special overlay board (found one through a liquidator) that worked with a VGA card and and Windows 3 to be viewed. (Turned out the film was available in digital form in more recent, higher quality digital formats so the effort was unnecessary beyond identifying the specific content.)
The following users thank dpalomaki for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-09-2018)
06-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Free Member

Thanks for the tips. I will looks at using Linux utilities such as 'strings' to try and reveal more.
06-05-2018, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

A few things needed.

-What is the file extension of the files? (AVI, etc.)
-What does GSpot say the file format is if its a standard container like AVI or MP4.
-Where did the file come from? This could be useful in determining the playback program if the file was from a specific industry. ie: security camera footage or recorded interviews for court/police work.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: lordsmurf (06-09-2018)
08-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Free Member

Two software tools. One of them is unfortunately named, making it difficult to search for.

MediaInfoXP from https://muldersoft.com/

GSpot Codec Identifier from http://www.headbands.com/gspot/