Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Project Planning, Workflows

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Free Member

Asking for a primer on how to recognize and, if possible, correct tape problems before loading them into a delicate and expensive VCR. Problems such as mold, bad oxide, and other issues which might damage the tape or the VCR.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-01-2019, 08:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Visual inspection, opening tape gate, removing stickers in the way.
Mold is white, obvious.
Any imperfections in reels or exposed tape are suspect.
Remember "be kind, rewind"? Any tape not rewound can have curling issues, so rewind and let it sit for at least a week.
Get a 'dirty deck' for suspect tapes.
Get a rewinder deck for suspect tapes.

And keep TGrant on speed dial, because you'll still miss something, and $hit will still happen.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Visual inspection, opening tape gate, removing stickers in the way.
Get a 'dirty deck' for suspect tapes.
Get a rewinder deck for suspect tapes.
I've been using one of my two Mitsubishis to scan forward and rewind tapes before capture; it helps to get some idea as to how much content is actually on the tape before capturing. But what would you recommend in the way of a "dirty deck"? Just an eBay cheapie to hook up to the TV for play only, or a halfway decent deck that I could use to actually capture if a tape truly is on its last legs? (I'd hate to mess up one of my really good VCRs! ) Would you have any model recommendations?
01-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
What I really hate is semi-shedding of oxide, where it doesn't flake off, but there is obvious damage to the tape on the second playback. Both visually in the picture, and with pock marks in the tape. That includes REW/FF, and it's a reason that I do not suggest it. Sometimes you only get one shot with a tape. By religiously REW/FF, you're making a huge mistake that will eventually bite you in the @ss.

Remember, you were warned. It will happen.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: ehbowen (01-01-2019)

Tags
damage, mold, vhs tapes