Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Free Member

I see you Futurehosting (or have in the past). I am looking to move my vps to a more stable and speedier server.

Which of these 3 would you recommend?
1. Downtownhost
2. Futurehosting
3. Wiredtree

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

I've used Futurehosting since 2008. They have excellent support. However they use Virtuozzo. It's not CPU abuse that's the problem, as FH has well-managed systems that are not overloaded (like OpenVZ often is), but Parallel's VM layer can be screwy. Back in 2009, Virtuozzo ate my VPS. I had backups, and always do, so it wasn't a problem, just a nuisance with 4+ days downtime. As time moves on, I wish they'd adopt Xen or KVM instead. Because they're one of the best hosts you'll use.

Downtownhost had a major snafu in early (Q1) 2012, though they've since redeemed themselves. It's smaller than Futurehosting, so you'll often see the owner answering support tickets -- not that it's a bad thing. What I like about DTH is they use Xen for the VMs. And they are a good host with upgrade paths, from shared to reseller to VPS to dedicated.

Wiredtree is more expensive than the others, which is why I rank them lower than the others. Support is great, but not really any different from DTH and maybe not as good as FH. And again, Virtuozzo. It works great, but when you do have issues, it tends to be the virtualization's fault and not the host. It's another hosts that I wish would adopt Xen or KVM instead; it just works better.

And I say all this being hyper-critical. Each of these is an excellent host, and you'll be hard-pressed to find ones who are better.

Since I know you know about hosting, you got the somewhat advanced answers.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.