Go Back    Forum > Digital Publishing / Web Sites > Web Hosting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Free Member

Hey all,

I am looking for a new host. I have very little traffic to my site right now but plan to get around 500k visitors a month by the end of the year. I don't want to break the bank yet so was thinking of starting on a shared (or maybe "business") plan and then once we get going to move to a dedicated server. I was hoping to use the same company for both to make the transition easier. I was looking at EuroVPS and they seem to fit my needs perfectly. The only problem is that 90% of my visitors will be coming from the US/Canada. How big of a deal is it to have the server located in the Netherlands? Any other recommendations for hosts that fit my needs if the EuroVPS location is going to be a problem?

Thanks.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

This month, 70% of our visitors were USA, and that's where this dedicated server is located -- EuroVPS. It's never been an issue, and much of that is because it's on the AMS-IX. For VPS and dedicated server hosting, that's an excellent choice.

If you must have a USA location, we also have Namecheap and WebhostingBuzz dedicated servers. Also excellent hosts.

- What is your site traffic like right now?
- Just the one site?
- What is it based on? (WordPress?)
- What sort of monthly budget do you have?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Free Member

1. About 3k a month (just started)
2. Yes for now
3. Drupal but can switch to Wordpress if needed Since the site is still in infancy
4. Trying to spend around $30 or less a month right now but can go higher if I have to. Once we get more visitors we won't have a problem paying a few hundred a month for the dedicated.

Thanks for the reply, very helpful already.
01-06-2015, 10:39 AM

How experienced are you?

All site owners start out with big dreams and goals, but are quickly subjected to the cruel cold world that is site ownership. It's not just about marketing or design, but all the technical aspects as well -- especially speed and security. (1) As soon as your site goes live, some butthole from some backwater country is trying to ruin your work. (2) Without proper optimizations, you're site will lag and the visitor will leave.

Most hosts are minimally helpful, especially when it comes to site-based problems and questions. Hosts only support the server or hosting account -- not the site. Trying to learn on your own takes lots of time, and so you get sidetracked from the initial dreams/goals. The site dies slowly, and goes out with a whimper.

It's why successful sites hire developers. But that can be expensive.

We're working on something right now that may be of interest to you. For the past 10+ years, we've hosted our development clients. They enjoy the benefit of our advice, and most have been successful. (The ones that were not successful did not heed our advice, and insured their own demise.) Starting in a few months, we're going to open that up to the public. Details are still pending, but it will be WordPress hosting for owners that are only focusing on 1-3 sites. If that's something you may be interested in, either PM me, or use the Contact Us button at the top of this age.

You may be perfect for it. That's why I asked.

You can start out with us, learn things, and then when you expand your own knowledge -- AND the site expands -- it'll be time to migrate to a VPS or dedicated server.

Anyway...

Drupal is honestly not a CMS that's moved forward much in years. Joomla is better, but WordPress is best these days. There's a lot more possibilities in terms of features, speed, and security. It's fine for stagnant sites (never change), but it's really not viable for sites that will continue to progress with time.

Even focusing on two sites is not easy. KISS. You'll do better long-term, if the idea was good.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
01-06-2015, 11:22 AM
Free Member

Great reply as usual. I'm actually pretty experienced. I'm a developer myself. Mostly Java but I'm trying to move over to web.

I am just not too knowledgable on web hosting. I understand the concerns with Drupal and after being affected by the Drupal hack a month ago, I'm leaning towards making a switch.

When do you think the development environment you were talking about will be up and running? Or is it running now?
01-06-2015, 11:57 AM

The servers are already up and running. We have clients there now. If you want to be one, PM me.

Being a developer is good, but there's still a massive learning curve for the hosting. That's sort of where we come in -- we're both. We can show you things that most hosts either don't know or won't tell you. That lets you focus more time on your site development.

WordPress needs to be properly secured, but we help clients with that. Even if WP has an exploited, proper security can prevent it being harmed. Most of it is "easy" and "common sense" -- but only if you know your way around hosting.

Closed Thread