07-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Free Member

The 2016 "Best Web Hosts - Unlimited" list ends with Frog Host. When I select Frog Host, I am sent to Hawk Host. Other searches of the Internet for Frog Host all resulted in redirection to Hawk Host. I remember this was the "parent" company of Frog Host. Apparently Frog Host has ceased business. Frog Host offered a "Tadpole" hosting plan which was "unlimited". Hawk Host offers a "Primary" plan which is "unlimited" except storage is limited to 10GB.

Do digitalFAQ Forum administration or members believe that Hawk Host fits into the "Best Web Host" category? Thank you.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-24-2016, 11:04 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

We've been re-working the algorithms for ranking this summer, and the overall will begin to roll out in late August.

Due to WHT rules, which disallowed "unlimited" hosting until last year, hosts like Hawkhost had to operate separate brands to sell unlimited plans. That WHT rule was scrapped, and many of those hosts now sell "unlimited" plans. Thus brands like Froghost became unneeded, and products consolidated into the main Hawkhost brand. So that explains that. And we've updated our list to reflect the slight change.

Now, as far as Hawkhost being a best host --- maybe, maybe not. In the new algorithms, which take more issues into account, they're not doing great.

For example, Hawk Host was recently (mere days ago) in a published report about malware abuse by CloudFlare. The malware-infested sites were on Hawk Host servers, meaning they had lax (or outright crap) malware scanning on their servers. Hawkhost was seemingly identified by malware scammers as leaky, and their servers were raped in the process (which in turn harmed computers of visitors to the malicious sites).

And, of course, such issues bleed back to the IP, meaning other sites in those neighborhoods are now questioned by Google/etc.

^ Aspects like this are now strongly considered. Security has come more to the forefront of our rankings.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
07-28-2016, 12:21 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

What is it that you're looking for? We can give customer suggestions here.

- your location (continent)
- audience location (continent)
- price limit
- anything else

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
08-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the warning on Hawk Host. You pointed out maleware problems and I don't need them.

I need to be off Hostmonster by 8/24.

Based on the Digital FAQ forum, SiteGround seems to be an excellent web host. Do Digital FAQ admin or members know of any reason for not hosting on SiteGround? Is it a problem that I am in Seattle and their server is in Chicago?

My profile is that I am a retired technologist who donates websites to small businesses, often start-ups. I fell into this activity when a friend's start-up business needed a website. Word of mouth has caused me to expand to several businesses, all small and local in an area just north of Seattle. My clients are as follows:
***A one woman mobile equine massage business just starting
***A pet grooming shop that was very successful but is temporarily shut down
***A very successful restaurant/catering businesses
***A financial advice website that is largely inactive
***A children's book sales site that is largely inactive
***A very successful outdoor wedding venue

I write informational websites in HTML, CSS and JavaScript so they are very compact. The largest is the wedding venue at 57 MB due to all the gorgeous photos of the venue and weddings. Because I don't use a CMS and use very strong passwords (random and long), I don't think my sites are very vulnerable to maleware. One of my clients needs Spam Experts for an email address that is under spam attack. SiteGround offers Spam Experts free as part of their multi-website plan.
Closed Thread

Tags
frog, hawk, host, web