Quantcast Headac3he: Surround vs Surround 2 ? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
01-05-2003, 06:54 PM
SansGrip SansGrip is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kwag -

Have you actually done a listening test to compare HeadAC3he's "Surround" and "Surround 2" downmixing modes? I'd be interested to know how well they both work and if there's really that much of a difference on a Pro Logic II receiver.

I've been reading in newsgroups today that there is no special "Pro Logic II encoder" -- the magic happens in the decode phase, with regular Dolby Surround-encoded material, so I'm not sure what HeadAC3he's author means by "Surround 2" mode.

What would be really fun is to take one of those speaker test discs, pull off the AC3, and encode to MP2 with both "Surround" and "Surround 2" modes (also with any special preprocessing you might want to apply ). That way we could work out just how well the encoding maintains the channel separation...

I have one of those discs, so I'll see if I can pull the AC3 from it. Having totally separate channels like that would be very useful for testing audio.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
01-05-2003, 07:02 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SansGrip
kwag -

Have you actually done a listening test to compare HeadAC3he's "Surround" and "Surround 2" downmixing modes?
No I have not . Only Surround 2.
Quote:
I'd be interested to know how well they both work and if there's really that much of a difference on a Pro Logic II receiver.
Me too
Quote:

I've been reading in newsgroups today that there is no special "Pro Logic II encoder" -- the magic happens in the decode phase, with regular Dolby Surround-encoded material, so I'm not sure what HeadAC3he's author means by "Surround 2" mode.
I think I did read that there was a difference. I'm not sure if it was on HeadAC3he's forum
Quote:

What would be really fun is to take one of those speaker test discs, pull off the AC3, and encode to MP2 with both "Surround" and "Surround 2" modes (also with any special preprocessing you might want to apply ). That way we could work out just how well the encoding maintains the channel separation...
Oh please make that test . I can't because I don't have any AC3 test material.
Quote:

I have one of those discs, so I'll see if I can pull the AC3 from it. Having totally separate channels like that would be very useful for testing audio.
Can't wait for the results

-kwag
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HeadAC3he: Surround sound to mp2? khusru Audio Conversion 5 06-12-2004 09:22 AM
HeadAC3he: Surround or Surround2 ? gamma Audio Conversion 1 04-23-2004 04:36 PM
How does the surround sound work? audioslave Video Encoding and Conversion 39 10-12-2003 08:54 AM
HeadAC3he: Surround/Surround 2 CheronAph Audio Conversion 2 10-04-2003 10:24 AM
HeadAC3he: Low pass filter for surround muaddib Audio Conversion 1 08-17-2002 01:48 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM  —  vBulletin © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd