Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Premium Member

Hey,
This is almost completely off-topic (unless you really stretch the meaning of "video problems"), but I noticed your post, "do you fix it more than you use it", on videohelp.com, and Microsoft / EB can't help me, so I figured I'd give you a shot. Your post started about spending time fixing your X-Box, well I'm wondering if you are having similar problems as I am. My X-Box is not modded at all, but I often receive the error "disk is damaged or dirt..." on pretty much every disk. It happens sometimes when I first put in the disk, then after a few opens/closes it will work. Then it will randomly do it in the middle of a game. It happens most frequently when I leave a game paused for a few minutes and unpause it.

I'm not expecting you to be able to answer this in any definite manner, or even at all, but it couldn't hurt to try =)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Your problem is a dying (or dirty) laser lens. One of my friends had this happen to him twice now. Unmodded unit.

Read more here:
http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/t...stallation.htm

Mine is heat related. Fan may also be dying (cheap bearings). The unit is also sensitive to dust, and hates being put on the carpet.

And if heat is such a problem, why on earth did they cram it into a box with zero flow? A "do not put on carpet" warning label would also have been appropriate, at least I think so.

Microsoft made these things from leftover parts, it seems.

I opened it up this afternoon, blew it out, and left it open while I played it for a few minutes. By the time it was fixed, I was no longer in the mood to truly sit back and play it.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!