Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Free Member

I am looking to buy a 169 time modded Direct TV box with the built in firewire mod and the AVX1 receiver that allows you to record satelite TV to a DVHS deck or a Blu Ray recorder. I have checked the prices for both things on the 169 time website and they are just too expensive. I am willing to negotiate pricing. The Direct TV box must be in good working condition, and the AVX1 receiver must be in good working condition as well. I am willing to consider all offers.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Did you mean 16x9 or 16:9, or is it really "169" ? I'm not quite clear if that's the model number, or if it's supposed to be the aspect ratio. I may know where to get some satellite gear cheaply, but I'm slightly out of the loop on DirecTV these days (it's hard to keep track of both Dish Network and DTV). --- I guess it's my turn to ask a stupid question. Hey, I'm allowed once in a while!

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Free Member

Seems to be a STB mod which were made from approx 2000 to 2006 for Direct.
Aren't there other ways to cap Sat that are more cost effective?
08-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Free Member

Actually, it is a modification to a Direct TV box by the company 169 time to add a firewire output to a Direct TV box so that you can record it on a DVHS VCR. You also need an AVX1 box in order to record the satelite channels. I actually have the JVC HM DT100U VCR, and I have recorded HD over the OTA tuner. The reason why I like this option is I can also hook it up to a Blu Ray recorder and record HD to disc as well. I know there are other ways to record HD, but I still prefer tape because at least I have a solid back up. I have a Tivo once that died on me and I lost all of my shows. Hard drives can fail easily. At least with video tape, as long as I take care of the DVHS machines I have, they won't eat the tapes on me. I have two DT100U's and a 30000U. I like the DT100U's because of the tuner, and I like the 30000U because of the OSD.

I have done research and heard that Fios offers boxes with firewire outputs. Does anyone know if they still offer that? I would hate to buy Fios and then not have the firewire outputs or have the firewire outputs disabled.
08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Yes, the older FIOS boxes do have firewire (Motorola QIP-6416-2). As per FCC regulations, any cable provider must make a firewire capable box available by customer request. Nowadays they are shipping the QIP-7232 to their customers. It has firewire, but who knows if its enabled. Just keep in mind that whatever box you get, be prepared to deal with buggy firmware. There are plenty of horror stories on AVSForum about recording off of those boxes.
08-16-2011, 11:16 PM
Free Member

There was a discussion whether the 169 would still be viable...something about direct could have changed from mpeg2 to mpeg4 or something to that effect....I don't know jack about all this or if it is true.
I do know that section over on AVSforum seems to have been dead for some time.
What you are wanting to do still might work, I don't know.
Maybe drop over there and make a post and see what happens.
I saw some of the later posts that guys seem to selling off some 169s.
While doing research on something slightly different, I noticed from landings off google searches guys were
hooking in hard drives into their stb for direct tv recording.
I didn't stay long enough to try to figure out what exactly they were doing.
I see what you are saying about tapes being reliable however I would think a double backup of hard drives would do good too.
Maybe something along the line NJRoadfan uses...a high def. capture device along with computer.
Roadfan, doesn't yours do hdmi? If it does perhaps that is an option.
Good luck with whatever you decide, there are always work-arounds though some can be quite costly.
08-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Free Member

Well, I just tried contacting 169time by their phone number on their website. The number seems to have been disconnected. I wonder if they have shut down. Is there anyone out there who can help me verify this?
08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

A tiny amount of snooping reveals this:

Quote:
169time.com
Date Registered: 2000-3-9
Date Modified: 2011-3-9
Expiry Date: 2012-3-10

Registrant
Richard Adams
11969 Mathis Way
Grass Valley, CA 95949 United States
Tel: +1.5302682700
rkadamsgpi@gmail.com

Cross-reference the above phone #, and you also get the business name "GVT Group"
It's listed being a business that does: "ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES, WHOLESALE & MANUFACTURERS"

Google Maps street view shows the address to be a paved-over dirt road off a two-lane highway, leading into a piece of heavily wooded property protected by a barbed wire fence (like the kind used on farms/ranches to keep the cattle in/out).

Interesting.

The domain was updated 5 months ago. So there is 2011 activity.

If you look up the person's name + the alternate company name, you find this: http://www.linkedin.com/in/siliconturbines
And this person still lists the company as current.

If something/somebody left a trail online, I can often find it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.