Go Back    Forum > Featured > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-01-2020, 10:50 AM
Free Member

Newbie here with a question about the Marketplace section.

A couple weeks ago I submitted a FS ad for my JVC 9600 VCR. But it never showed up on the forum, and I've received no rejection notice nor any feedback of any kind from admin nor anyone else. Did it just vanish into the ether? If I broke some rule I'll gladly correct it, but I need to know what to correct.

Any suggestions? How do I proceed?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-01-2020, 05:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
The post had to be cleaned up before approval.

It's been approved now.

But I highly doubt anybody will pay $180 for a non-working JVC deck. It's just not worth that much. If you knew exactly what the issue was, and knew where/how to get new/replacement parts, maybe. But decks with unknown numbers of issues are worth between zero and $100 at most. Some people do try to sell "parts/repairs" (verified/known broken!) VCRs on eBay for $150-300 range, but to be blunt, they're morons. More often on eBay, of course, is all the "working/tested" decks that really do not work.

Based off the description, it's the known 9600/9800/9900 dynamic drum (DD) that has gone bad. That may or may not be reparable. It's a time-consuming gamble for anybody that chooses to partake in it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-02-2020, 05:34 PM
Free Member

>>>It's just not worth that much<<<
Not after that comment, that's for sure.

As for price, a BIG part of it is the outrageous cost of shipping, thanks to the YEARLY rules* changes and 4.9% rate increases the shipping companies have been charging every December for more than a decade. Their newest one just took effect a few days ago. That's why, rather than wade through the muck of those awful rate charts, I just estimated and included it in the price (you DID see that, right?). That way, there's no surprises for anybody.

I don't know anything about VCR repair. I wouldn't know a DD from a diode. What I do know is that I paid ~$900 + shipping for that thing and didn't get anywhere near that much use out of it.

But that's OK. If nobody wants it, I'll just put it out in the trash and let one of the scavengers have it. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I still have my Sony WV-DR7 and a JVC SR-VS10.

So thanks for the discouragement, and BTW, what sort of "clean up" did you do to my original post? I was surprised to read that kind of criticism considering that I write the English language far better than the majority of posts you find anywhere on the internet. But I didn't see any real changes except shrinking the font size down to that tiny, near unreadable, eye-strain inducing size.

* My 18 lb. package will be charged the 20 lb. rate because of their "dimension weight" rules.
01-02-2020, 06:21 PM
Site Staff | Video

Please do not use large fonts in posts. (At some point we may adjust font sizing in the forum, but not yet, not until the scheduled site facelift.)

If you're including shipping, $180 total ... maybe. Still a stretch, depends on location. I know shipping anything to Maine or Oregon is expensive from most non-neighbor states.

Clean-up was font size, post title, standard stuff.

We generally don't comment on marketplace posts, but since this post wasn't the marketplace post ...

I would not put it in the trash, it does have some value for parts. The heads may be fine, some of the non-DD may be fine. Even $50 + shipping is better than the dumpster, yes?

I agree, shipping has gotten nuts. The worst change was last June, when all USPS ground shipping was essentially phased out. So no more $35 shipments, the price is now $70+ Priority. And that's just the base cost without signature tracking and insurance. Workflows now consistently cost about $85 to send, whereas some could go under $50 pre-June last year. Even in-state mail is no longer cheap, maybe 10% off normal costs.

If you're angry about the JVC decks, you've not seen anything. You can buy a refurb AG-1980 deck, and 1-2 years later it could need another $400 repair, usually more bad caps. Thus goes life video video hardware. Some models are prone to issues. My own HR-S9800U has the dreaded DD issue. It was (and still is, somewhat) my favorite deck. It had been used quite a bit, babied to last forever, and had routine maintenance and repairs. But that d@mned DD is a faulty design/part, and almost all 9600/9800/9900 decks are now suffering from it. There are hit-or-miss DD removal repairs, but that's just it ... hit or miss. It may fix it (but also make it a somewhat lesser deck now), or brick it entirely.

01-04-2020, 02:47 PM
Free Member

Please delete my Marketplace post for the subject VCR.

I will not respond to any inquiries about it due to this thread severely hampering my ability to negotiate or to sell it for little more than a carton of cigarettes. And that's just not worth my time.

So it'll be going into the trash after I remove the five S-VHS tapes from the carton. I can still use those in one of my dual decks.
01-05-2020, 02:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke99 View Post
I will not respond to any inquiries about it due to this thread severely hampering my ability to negotiate or to sell it for little more
This thread does nothing of the sort. Your ask for a non-working (bad DD) JVC deck was simply too high.

I get aggravated at all the VCR sellers of the world, who expect top dollar for either non-functional crap, or essentially a box full of parts. And said "for parts" decks are in unknown condition, so pure gambling, but odds are some are good and some are bad. Almost all of those folks are entirely clueless about valuation of the gear, as well as the definitions of "working" and "tested". Those asinine asks for parts are why the decks have gotten both pricier (paying the parts pirates) and rarer (balking at the ridiculous parts prices, thus not fixing more decks).

The 9600 is almost 25 years old now. If one aspect isn't working, odd are several aspects are not working.

Quote:
And that's just not worth my time.
So instead of making $50/75/100, you prefer to make $0.

This is negative economics. It's also a corporate mentality. $50-100 is not a paltry sum, but $150+ was simply not market valuation. Perhaps with the right buyer, negotiation is possible, but be prepared to sit on it, as well as seek out that buyer.

Quote:
So it'll be going into the trash
That's sad.

Trashing decks harms the video community. Less parts to fix other decks. So instead of ONE good deck, and ONE bad deck, from using one as donor, you'll now have TWO bad decks. And that really pisses me off. This doesn't have to happen. But it does, and too often, fueled by a combination of laziness, greed and ignorance.

Go ahead and keep it listed here; it costs you nothing. Perhaps you'll find a buyer. Feel free to post it on eBay as well, with all the other "for parts" (broken, non-functioning, etc) decks.

Quote:
What I do know is that I paid ~$900 + shipping for that thing and didn't get anywhere near that much use out of it.
BTW, I doubt this. I didn't buy the 9600 new, but I did get the 9800 which is near-identical from about 2.5 years later. The 9800 MSRP was right around $500. Same for the 9900. The 9911 dipped down to $400 street prices, but it's also a more plastic-y deck. I actually still have B&H ads from the early 90s (research materials), and I'm fairly certain the 9600 was also in the $500 street-price/MSRP range.

In 25 years, you didn't get the initial value from it?
Did you just not use it?

Tags
9600, for sale, jvc, marketplace