Quantcast New Article: What's in a Pro Video Workflow to Convert Videotapes? - digitalFAQ Forum
02-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,038 Posts
My latest video article:
It's a good read for anybody looking to build a workflow for converting VHS, Hi8, Video8, Betamax, and even DV tapes. There's been a lot of talk about workflows in the past several months, and some people have misconceptions on how to build one.

Have Comments or Feedback?

As always, feel free to share your opinions, comments, etc, here in the forum, in this very thread.
If you're not already a member of The Digital FAQ forum, simply join as a Free Member. Or better yet, become a Premium Member.
If you liked it, then please share it on Facebook, Google+ and Twitter, by clicking the links on the editorial page.
Useful tips or updates from the community may be added to current/past editorials, at the author's discretion.

Thanks for reading.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (03-17-2018), dinkleberg (03-12-2018), imgoinmad (02-26-2018)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Two for an excellent article that I hope you don't mind I've posted a link to at www.videohelp.com.

Keep up the great work!!!
04-18-2018, 03:14 AM
Premium Member

Wow! Nice Article, I always wondered about your professional set-up!
When I tell other folks about my VHS conversion (of my own tapes), they are either to young to know what I'm talking about, and quickly loose attention within 5 seconds, or they are my age, and hint that they have an old tape for me to convert, but I tell them to wait untill I have converted my personal tapes that I know are Clean, plus I have read and learned here on DFAQ, about unsatisfied customers, expecting high quality transfer, from thier defective tapes, No Thanks for me anyway , not worth the possible outcome later!

Many folks have absolutely no Idea what goes into capturing VHS to digital, to get a watchable copy of that that tape, that is viewable on thier HD computer, I-PAD, or smart phone.
Especially when that person of my age of 59 recorded audio or video or even film, then played back that content on analog equipment, thier "brain memory" of that content is usually perfect and digital, but when converted 20 or 30 years later, from analog to modern digital format, doesn't quite meet the mark as remembered in thier now digitized memory in thier brains?
I personally experienced this after transferring our Band music audio, from 20 years ago, that I was part of, even though I went through great pain to reproduce the sound as it was back then.

Last edited by rocko; 04-18-2018 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Add
The following users thank rocko for this useful post: lordsmurf (04-18-2018)
04-18-2018, 06:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I personally experienced this after transferring our Band music audio, from 20 years ago, that I was part of, even though I went through great pain to reproduce the sound as it was back then.
The band crowd from the pre-2000s, be it musicians or fans, are usually some of the most pleasant folks to work with. They at least understand how not-easy audio is. When you tell them that video is at least 2x as hard, they understand what you're dealing with. You get immediate head nodding, as they have many memories of the technical wizardry required.

In 20 years, I've only had one person that was a PITA. And I'm pretty sure she was just a band member's daughter.

Best of all, you get to hear some awesome music while capturing.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Find television shows, cartoons, DVDs and Blu-ray releases at the TVPast forums.