Quantcast How to clean photos with mouse urine stains? - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
04-02-2016, 06:32 AM
tysam55 tysam55 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there,

I recently found an old dresser in a barn that was filled with photos from the 70s and 80's but it looks like the drawers were also home to some tiny rodents... the stacks of photos are surrounded by nut pieces, fabric stuffings (nesting warmths) and droppings.. the top photos (haven't removed any photos yet but suspecting its the top ones with the most damage) are sprinkled with dirt and urine spots... any hope for salvaging these photos?!

Thanks in advance for any tips to save these memories.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
04-02-2016, 05:29 PM
jnielsen jnielsen is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 51
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...d-photographs/
http://www.popphoto.com/how-to/2009/...-wear-and-tare
or google "cleaning old photographs"

This cleaning liquid is often recommended
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/PEC-12.php

However this is for "non-water based stains". Yours are "water based". This means water or alcohol or some mixture of this basically is the solution you need. However this would likely damage the pictures. Try it first on a picture you do not need. Maybe quickly with a damped cloth. You could give the PEC-12 a try and see if it works in some way.

Reg. Urine "The following is about cat urine, but anyway).
http://catcentric.org/care-and-healt...ing-cat-urine/
"Uric acid and its salts have been left behind. Uric acid is not water soluble and bonds tightly to whatever surface it touches." "The only thing that will break down the uric acid to permanently remove the smell is an enzyme cleaner."

Enzymatic cleaners for urine removal
http://store.bio-proresearch.com/ind...-off-home.html
These products are likely water based ( will damage photos ) and maybe also need some time to work.
However Uric acid degrades over time, so this is maybe not relevant for you.

Probably the most secure way is to "dry" remove dirt manually and carefully and fix the imperfections with photo software. It is a good idea to make any cleaning in steps and take pictures or scans along the way. If you do not have professionel photo lamps, outside on a clouded day is good for photos.

Or find a professional
http://www.conservation-us.org/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
04-02-2016, 09:01 PM
lordsmurf's Avatar
lordsmurf lordsmurf is offline
Site Staff | Video
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,753
Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnielsen View Post
Probably the most secure way is to "dry" remove dirt manually and carefully and fix the imperfections with photo software.
I definitely would NOT want mouse piss on our pro flatbed scanner!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
04-03-2016, 09:07 AM
tysam55 tysam55 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions, I will check out your links..


Quote:
Originally Posted by jnielsen View Post
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-t...d-photographs/
http://www.popphoto.com/how-to/2009/...-wear-and-tare
or google "cleaning old photographs"

This cleaning liquid is often recommended
http://www.cameraclean.co.uk/PEC-12.php

However this is for "non-water based stains". Yours are "water based". This means water or alcohol or some mixture of this basically is the solution you need. However this would likely damage the pictures. Try it first on a picture you do not need. Maybe quickly with a damped cloth. You could give the PEC-12 a try and see if it works in some way.

Reg. Urine "The following is about cat urine, but anyway).
http://catcentric.org/care-and-healt...ing-cat-urine/
"Uric acid and its salts have been left behind. Uric acid is not water soluble and bonds tightly to whatever surface it touches." "The only thing that will break down the uric acid to permanently remove the smell is an enzyme cleaner."

Enzymatic cleaners for urine removal
http://store.bio-proresearch.com/ind...-off-home.html
These products are likely water based ( will damage photos ) and maybe also need some time to work.
However Uric acid degrades over time, so this is maybe not relevant for you.

Probably the most secure way is to "dry" remove dirt manually and carefully and fix the imperfections with photo software. It is a good idea to make any cleaning in steps and take pictures or scans along the way. If you do not have professionel photo lamps, outside on a clouded day is good for photos.

Or find a professional
http://www.conservation-us.org/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
04-03-2016, 09:12 AM
tysam55 tysam55 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I will not be putting the photos with mouse piss on our scanner either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
I definitely would NOT want mouse piss on our pro flatbed scanner!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Tags
damaged, photos, rodent, spots, urine

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How often should you clean VCR? rappy Video Hardware Repair 2 07-01-2017 11:11 AM
Auto double-clicking Mouse Problem bigk181 Computers 11 09-29-2012 04:26 AM
Free: Extra VGA KVM for PS2 mouse/keyboard, aka "monitor switch box" [DONE] lordsmurf Marketplace 0 07-15-2012 09:03 PM
USB port connection problems, mouse and keyboard not found ty3 Computers 3 01-10-2012 01:54 AM
Mouse stops working randomly Sossity Computers 1 02-04-2011 06:07 AM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM