Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
There are a number of methods available for encoding your MP2 or WAV files to high-quality AC3 Dolby Digital Stereo for DVD-Video projects.

But there is a problem -- many of the free methods are known to create subpar or non-compliant AC3 streams (not Dolby authorized!). Or the encoders are only available as part of a very expensive "authoring suite" or authorware.

Once again, however, Pegasys/Tsunami/TMPGEnc has come to the budget videographer's rescue! Visit the TMPGEnc website (use this link!), locate the AC3 filter on the PRODUCTS page:
  • Products
    • Other
      • TMPGEnc Sound Plugin AC3
... and for a whopping $29, you can purchase and use TMPGEnc Sound Player as a standalone Dolby-approved AC3 encoder!

After it is installed, either locate the new software in your start menu, or locate the program at C:\Program Files\Pegasys Inc\TMPGEnc Sound Player\TMPGEncSoundPlayer.exe and start it.

tmpg-soundplayer.gif

Press the ENCODE button, and the audio encoder should appear:

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Drag and drop your WAV files into the window, highlight the AC3 encoder, and then visit the settings window...

tmpg-ac3encoder.gif

You want AC3 2/0 stereo at 48kHz, and for stereo, you're advised to stay in the 192kbps to 384kbps range.

For "good" audio, 256k is suggested. For "bad" audio (including audio that has been restored), use 384k. Although 192k and 224k are "okay", you can hear a quality difference on most DVDs, against the 256k. the 192-224 is not always transparent to the source like 256k is. Compression of any kind can lower quality on noisy audio (or marginally noisy audio), so 384k is suggested because it is considered "better than transparent" compression.

After those settings are entered and OK'd, return to the encoder window, select a location to save the new audio files, and then sit back and watch the blue bar...

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

You'll end up with compliant high-quality AC3 encodes worthy of authoring to DVD.

NOTE: The TMPGEnc Sound Player has this cheesy "I want to look like a stereo" themed interface, so the button to close the software is in the upper left corner, a RED-lit button labeled "POWER".

Hope that helps.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Last edited by lordsmurf; 06-10-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Free Member

Question below..

"For "good" audio, 256k is suggested. For "bad" audio (including audio that has been restored), use 384k. Although 192k and 224k are "okay", you can hear a quality difference on most DVDs, against the 256k. the 192-224 is not always transparent to the source like 256k is. Compression of any kind can lower quality on noisy audio (or marginally noisy audio), so 384k is suggested because it is considered "better than transparent" compression. "

Just to clarify, should I select 384k since the audio I'm using this program for is restored in SF, and I'm using this program to convert the SF restored wav to AC3... or should I stay with 256?
06-17-2009, 10:10 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

I'd go with 384k encoding on the audio you've restored.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!