Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
Note: You'll find the attached file downloads at the bottom of this top post.

VirtualDub - Video Editor / Encoder / Video Filter Software

About This Version of VirtualDub

This is the most current version of my installed VirtualDub 1.9.x setup, on my primary system, and it includes a good number of filters for importing various formats, as well as filters to clean up the video quality. (It's sometimes also referred to as "LordSmurf's VirtualDub" as it is the setup used by LS.)

There are more than 140 filters (including the pre-installed default ones) in this download! Understand that this is NOT just a random "I grabbed all the filters I could find and crammed them into the program" type of download you typically find online (stupid "codec packs", for example), but a carefully selected grouping of filters that are used regularly for cleaning up video for projects. Some of them are used near-daily, others are used just a few times per year on the ugliest of projects. Usually these all have to be downloaded one by one from various sites. (In some cases, the filters can no longer be easily found, as several sites have gone missing on past years.)

Installing VirtualDub

Because VirtualDub does not need to be "installed" on a computer, rather merely zipped or RAR'd up, you can extract it to your computer
  • Windows 32-bit 9x/NT/2000/XP/Vista goes under C:\Program Files\
  • Windows 64-bit XP/Vista/7 goes under C:\Program Files (x86)\
If you're not sure what to do with the attached ZIP or RAR files, then read this help post.

Need Help Using the Filters?

Ask your questions here in the Restore, Filter, Improve Quality forum at The Digital FAQ. We'll be glad to go over troubleshooting your specific video, and provide settings. For more detailed and faster response, consider becoming a Premium Member, too! (Note: We've noticed an odd situation lately where people download the files here, than go to some other site to ask for help -- sometimes even requesting the assistance of our own lordsmurf. Know that this site will be the best place to get help using this package to restore your videos.)

To Upgrade/Update VirtualDub + Maintain Multiple Versions

This download is not necessarily meant to be a replacement for the current official version of VirtualDub, but rather a useful starting place for those who need to do lossless intermediary encodes and/or restore (filter) video. The developers of VirtualDub are always working to make their free software better, so feel free to update the core VirtualDub files with newer ones. Or better yet, install another version, as many VirtualDub versions can be installed side-by-side, in different folders. To get the filters installed on each version, simply copy the plugins folders to each of those separate VDub locations. Note that not all filters will work (or work well) in all of the older versions.

Huffyuv - Lossless Video Codec

Why Huffyuv? What is Huffyuv ?

Aside from VirtualDub, the only thing you may need/want to actually install is the Huffyuv codec (for most systems) or Huffyuv-Multithreaded (for dual-core and quad-core computers). These are "lossless" (not compressed) video codecs for retaining high quality on your newly-filtered or intermediary video. Huffyuv64 is available too, although it's generally not needed, as Huffyuv and Huffyuv-MT still work fine on both Windows Vista 64 and Windows 7 64-bit.

Installing Huffyuv

To install Huffyuv, simply unRAR the correct file, and then right-click and install the INF file. If you can't tell the difference between the DLL and the INF file, you have Windows setup to hide file extensions -- something that I suggest against.

Trouble Installing?

Windows Vista 64 and Windows 7 64-bit are sometimes known to give you problems when trying to install any HuffYUV package version.
I have created instructions for installing HuffYUV in Windows 64-bit in another post (linked).
If you still have any trouble installing VirtualDub or HuffYUV, feel free to join the forum as a Free Member (it's free!) and then ask in a reply to this post. Or better yet, after signing up, upgrade to a Premium Member, for the best in one-on-one support for your entire video project.
If you're not sure what to do with the attached ZIP or RAR files, then read this help post.

Archived Information:
- VirtualDub19.rar (5.03 MB, 1229 downloads)
- HuffYUV.rar (15.9 KB, 1114 downloads)
- HuffYUV-multithreaded.rar (40.9 KB, 1320 downloads)
- HuffYUV64.zip (24.2 KB, 1165 downloads)
- VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters.rar (6.53 MB, 842 downloads)

How / Where to Download the Files?
You'll find the attached file downloads at the bottom of this top post. Files are provided for the convenience of our members. To get download access, simply join the forum as either a Free Member or Premium Member. We don't send spam or sell your email addresses. If you're not sure what to do with .zip or .rar files, see this help post.

Attached Files
File Type: rar HuffYUV.rar (15.9 KB, 3968 downloads)
File Type: rar HuffYUV-multithreaded.rar (40.9 KB, 3614 downloads)
File Type: zip HuffYUV64.zip (24.2 KB, 3254 downloads)
File Type: rar VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters.rar (6.53 MB, 7339 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: akiller (08-16-2015), andrescabrera (06-07-2017), archivarious (09-08-2020), banjo (12-02-2018), BruceOlsen (12-22-2019), captainvic (06-25-2019), chillaustin (05-28-2021), Darby_Crash (01-27-2022), dcglabs (05-23-2023), dudewiththepants (11-14-2022), Echo Chamber (12-30-2023), edumarrom (04-20-2022), elislider (01-17-2024), giamis (11-02-2023), hdfills (03-28-2019), herregaarden (02-24-2022), JaiFai4K (12-10-2023), Jessle723 (09-23-2019), Jesuishenri (02-05-2023), juiceycow (11-18-2020), JulesJH (05-26-2021), Killthewabbit (05-24-2016), kin0 (02-11-2024), kr678742 (08-08-2020), m4v3r1ck (01-02-2018), Mayank_1961 (06-18-2021), Miketiger (01-17-2011), mlongue1 (12-28-2010), Muxa1L (01-05-2018), newkt (08-31-2012), nymura (05-10-2023), Orientation (09-02-2018), peido (12-26-2020), RadicalEinward (05-30-2023), sephdigi (09-03-2020), Slartib (04-01-2017), SouthernerMan (07-24-2021), S_Clayton (05-13-2023), tbgconnor (07-29-2021), TheBigNostalgic (11-01-2017), The_Outsider (02-28-2021), Vi42per (06-26-2020), YellowMoon (06-10-2020), zeus163 (07-24-2019)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Free Member

This installs VDub 1.8.8. I like the fact that it already has filters loaded. Latest version however is 1.9.8. Can 1.9.8 be installed directly over 1.8.8?

Or must I first uninstall 1.8.8? How would I then reinstall all of those filters?
The following users thank rckowal for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-28-2010)
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

You can install the newer versions directly on top of the existing version. The word "install" is used loosely anyway -- you don't have to actually install anything, just unzip the VirtualDub files somewhere ono the computer, and then copy the files/folders over the older ones.

Another options is to keep "side by side" installs. For example, I have both a C:\Program Files\VirtualDub18 folder and a C:\Program Files\VirtualDub19 folder. Simply copy the plugins and plugins32 folders from the old 1.8 folder into the new 1.9 folders. Don't "drag" and move, but right-click and "copy" and then paste a new copy in the 1.9 folder. Because 1.9 will have empty folders, you'll be asked to "overwrite" (yes!)

NOTE: On a 64-bit version of Windows, you'll be in the C:\Program Files (x86)\ hierarchy. Don't install this in the non-x86 folder, as it's not a 64-bit application.

VirtualDub does not have (or need) an "installer" of any kind. --- Reminds me of the old days, the DOS era.

Aside from the yadif deinterlacer, there's no real advantage of having version 1.9 over version 1.8. I will, however, be updating the above file here soon with a new one that has more filters and the latest 1.9 version. If you're not in a rush, I can see about getting that done here in the next day or so.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-28-2010), RadicalEinward (05-30-2023)
01-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

The thread has now been updated, and includes the latest version 1.9.8 of VirtualDub, with the latest filters used as of January 2010.

These specific filters are excellent at a number of tasks, including:
  • cleaning up, filtering, and restoring VHS before putting it onto DVD or uploading it to a website like Youtube
  • converting to (or from) streaming video formats (H.264, Divx, Xvid, Flash FLV, etc), for sites like Youtube, iTunes or your own web hosted videos
Includes:
  • color correction
  • contrast, brightness, IRE correction and adjustment
  • removing lines and pulsing type noise from video
  • proper deinterlacers, good deinterlace methods
  • removing grain
  • fixing video shaking, camera shake
  • fixing film conversions, removing shutter noise
  • ... and probably a lot more things that I'm forgetting as I make this quick post update
Enjoy!

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BruceOlsen (12-22-2019), Killthewabbit (05-24-2016), Liberty610 (02-07-2018), mlongue1 (12-28-2010)
05-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Free Member

I have been trying to capture video using the Pinnacle Dazzle -- and this is the only program that works! But I just reinstalled version 1.9.8 and no longer see video in preview. It worked well with the older version (but I couldn't get the huffy codec to work. Now that shows up, but no video. Any hints??
GORDON

When I download the 64-bit version (VirtualDub19.rar) my capture device (Pinnacle Dazzle) doesn't work -- no video. If I use the other one from soundforge (V1.9.9 ADM 64-BIT) I get very "jerky" video... it plays for a second... stops... plays... stops, etc. What's up?
GORDON
The following users thank GWEBB47 for this useful post: mlongue1 (12-28-2010)
01-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

These two older posts seem to have slipped by the alert system, hence the lack of answers until now. Sorry about that -- you weren't being ignored!

If an older version of VirtualDub works better, then I would stick to it. However, this would be new to me -- I've NEVER seen an older version of VDub work better than a new/current version. Why not use the 32-bit version provided here, anyway? And then stay with the "plain" HuffYUV codec?

I'll be making a new update to the first post later this month, to reflect changes in VirtualDub 1.9.x, as well as the inclusion/removal of certain filters that have been changed since the last version.

I'll also look to creating a number of VCF files starting in 2001, to not only give a pre-installed with-filters version of VirtualDub, but to provide user-ready "presets" for capturing, restoring and simply encoding video.

Good things coming in 2011 -- stay tuned!

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-01-2011)
01-31-2011, 12:50 AM
Free Member

Hello

I have never installed HuffyUV until today. I used both the cmd prompt method you outlined and the winrar extract-rightclick-install to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder method, several times (with uninstalls between each), confirmed that I was in admin mode all the way, and no error messages. And yet, so far, I cannot get Adobe AE, Sony Vegas, or Vdub to recognize the existence of the HuffyUV codec.

Any further ideas of suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Nanny

(running win7 64-bit, Vdub 1.9.8, huffyUV64 version downloaded from this site)
The following users thank thenannymoh for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-01-2011)
01-31-2011, 06:58 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Try the regular version of HuffYUV and see how that works for you.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-01-2011)
01-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Free Member

thanks very much, that worked!
The following users thank thenannymoh for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-01-2011)
04-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Free Member

I installed virtual dub and huffyuv but when I try to set the video compression to huffyuv for video capture it's not in the list. How can I troubleshoot this?

(ps: the op says "If you still have any trouble installing VirtualDub or HuffYUV, feel free to join the forum as a Free Member (it's free!) and then ask in a reply to this post." and then the reply limitations below this quick reply window say "This thread is more than 431 days old. You should only reply if you were part of the original conversation AND need follow-up advice or want to give an update. Make a new thread if you have a new question.")
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Did you reboot yet? Sometimes that's all that is required.

About the "reply" situation: The reply limitations feature is forum-wide, and is a general instruction that applies to 99.9% of all threads. In some threads, however, we give specific direction to post replies, and that overrides the instructions automatically appended to every thread. We can also move posts, as needed.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Free Member

Yup I rebooted
04-05-2012, 03:49 PM

If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, refer to this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...l-huffyuv.html
Huffyuv is only easy to install on Windows XP -- later versions take added steps.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Free Member

I am on windows xp 32 bit. The install appeared to work but then when I go into virtual dub (after reboot) there is no huffyuv listed.
04-05-2012, 04:08 PM

It probably didn't install correctly. UnRAR the files to the hard drive. Some people try to do this from within WinRAR, and that's not the proper way to install it. The unarchived files have to be on your hard drive. I suggest doing it at C:\ and not in some subfolder, nor on the desktop. The DLL and the INF both have to be present for the install to work.

Don't try to capture with the multithreaded version, either. Only use the normal Huffyuv for capturing video.

03-25-2013, 02:30 AM
Free Member

A few questions:

I installed per the instructions above. Everything seems to have installed correctly, but when I open Virtualdub, it tells me that 110 filters loaded, but 1 filter failed to load. I'm running Windows 7 x64. I used the current, configured versions from this thread (current as of 3/25/13). I don't know that it will matter, but has anyone else encountered this issue?

Will this configured version be updated to the latest Virtualdub (1.9.11)? If not, is there any actual custom configuration in the 1.9.8 file here for download or is it just a custom batch of filters that I could just as easily use with the current VD build?

I will be working with several 50+ GB HuffYUV files captured using the standard codec. I have a new quad core system with hyperthreading and 32GB of RAM running Windows 7 x64 that I purchased primarily for editing and processing this project. Would it be beneficial for me to use the HuffYUV MT codec? I have read there may be playback issues and I didn't know if the improvement to encode and decode time would be worth the aggravation. What do you recommend?
04-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

I've attached the new one. See the first thread. You'll see VirtualDub 1.9.11 + Filters.rar. That's the current version in use here.
We also plan to have Avisynth with pre-installed filters! Lots of instructions, sample scripts, etc.

We'll be sending a newsletter to members soon, and get that back on track.

Enjoy!

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: hdfills (03-28-2019), SouthernerMan (12-29-2023)
09-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Free Member

Hello, silly question here, im new to this.
i havent found this asked anywhere. do these filters need to be added into vdub as needed? or are they already active in vdub and are used automatically when they are needed while capturing .avi?

Thanks in advance.
09-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father-of-Ash View Post
do these filters need to be added into vdub as needed? or are they already active in vdub and are used automatically when they are needed while capturing .avi?
I'm not entirely clear on what you're referring to. The above download already has many filters commonly needed for capturing and restoring (the main topic of this forum) already installed.

You never want to enable filters while capturing, as most will cause dropped frames. The filter are not real-time filters, and VirtualDub doesn't have the horsepower (even with high-end 16-core+ server0grade systems) to do it. Capture first, filter a copy second.

Hope that helps clarify it.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Father-of-Ash (11-01-2013), RadicalEinward (05-30-2023)
01-18-2014, 12:59 PM
Free Member

Thank you. So glad I was directed to this thread ... worked flawlessly. (You might want to add a tip for newbies about how to determine if they've got more than one core).

I have one question though.

Now that I have this installed, how do I know that a piece of hardware that I'd like to use it **is** using it?

Specifically, I have a Diamond VC500 inline between a VHS player and my PC. The Diamond installs EZ Grabber. My guess is that a codec was installed somewhere when the CD from Diamond installed EZ Grabber.

I could care less what front-end software I use on my PC, as long as it accepts the output of the VC500 and uses Huffyuv-mt. How do I make that happen (with either EZ Grabber or something else)?

edit- I got this figured out with VirtualDub. EOM.