Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Copy DVDs, Duplicate, Replicate

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

first off, happy new to everyone here.

now on to my question, I have been exploring dvdfab more, & found the dvdfab preferences settings, & within this found the common settings.

there are alot of settings here, & i looked around on dvd fabs website, but would like a little more detailed help, from those who are knowledgeable about this program & since it was in this forum that I was told to try this program. what would be the best settings to use for making exact full 100% quality copies of my dvds? they all look a little confusing, so I hope someone can help me set things up from the start, so I dont have to do re copies of my dvds due to me not knowing the best settings.

the only thing I would want to change is to remove region coding & copyright protections so I can have my dvds universally playable when & if I burn back the .iso files to blank discs. What settings would be best for this?

In the protection settings, there are

remove APS, should I have this checked off?
remove UPOs from IFO files, have this checked off?
remove UPOs form VOB files? this checked off?

When I looked at this in mac the ripper, it warned that having UPOs removed can break down a disc directory structure & make it unplayable, is this true?

remove structure protection, like ARccOS, Ripguard etc. should I have this checked?
remove layer break? checked or unchecked?

remove region code enhancement, I am not quite sure how this works.

what about all the other sections? do i leave all these at defaults?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I think you're over-analyzing it a bit.

Prohibited User Operations (PUOs) are what cause the annoying no-no icons on screen, when you try to FF or skip previews, warnings, etc. on discs. DVDFab calls these "UPOs" for whatever reason. The accurate term is PUO. I would remove PUOs, but it's not required. On a related note, the Mac the Ripper warning is ridiculous and inaccurate. Furthermore, I've never seen any DVD messed up from the removal of a PUO.

I don't know what APS is. That may be another invented or improper term. I'd have to look, but I'm not at a Mac today.

"Structure protection" is the obfuscated way to describe how some studios mess up the contents of a disc, making it non-compliant to the DVD specs. As such, software that works to extract content get confused. DVD players are rather dumb devices, in contrast, so the messed-up content still plays properly.

The layer break should stay if the disc is being copied 1:1 as DVD9.

Remove region codes.

I don't know what the other sections are. I don't have access to a Mac right now. Not at the office.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Well, thanks for the info so far, when somebody here is at their office again, would they look into this a little more? I dont think it matters if these are looked at on a mac or pc, the interface seems to be the same. But if someone is on their mac with this program, it would be great if they could look at it a bit more for my questions.

As I said, I would like to get the copies of the DVD's right with the best settings the 1st time if I could so I will wait on some more answers. One of the DVD's belongs to my aunt, & I have to return it to her, she lives a long way, so if I needed to recopy it because some settings were not right would be difficult.

for region coding, there is the option to remove & ask when inserting disc, & then all the other drop downs have different regions that one can set their disc to. I dont know what to choose there.
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

APS = Analog Protection System == Copyguard = Macrovision.
You're looking in the "Common Settings" option of DVDFab, which I just reinstalled solely so I could answer your question here.
You can pretty much leave everything as is, default, and not try to figure out what's what. It will "just work" as is.

Don't dig too deeply. It's not necessary.

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Closed Thread