Go Back    Forum > Featured > Marketplace

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,442 Times in 2,075 Posts
Updated March 2024

VCRs are only available now in workflows.

See workflow listings here: https://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/mar...-workflow.html

I'm taking a much-needed break from most JVC S-VHS VCR refurb work, to focus on health, family, and the upgrade of this site. Refurb'ing a VCR can take weeks, sometimes even months for some deck models. I need that time for other tasks and activities. I will still (sometimes) have decks available, but only as part of my workflows.

________

Sometimes I have decks on hand, sometimes not. PM me.
When not, I do on-demand deck refurbs. Typical ETA for on-demand refurb work can be anywhere from 3-6 weeks. The time needed to complete a refurb depends on several factors.
Pricing:
- JVC SR-V10/based, A+, $xxxx, refurb'd like new
- JVC SR-V10/based, A-, approx $xxxx, refurb'd like new
- JVC SR-V10/based, B+, approx $xxx, refurb'd like new, works best with SP mode tapes, can be hit-or-miss with EP/SLP
Clarification: Yes, this includes the deck. You're not submitting a VCR for service.
And no, I no longer repair decks for others. I only service (refurb) the decks I sell here in the marketplace.

________

- All VCRs are in B+ to A+ condition.
- See http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/news...g-grading.html
- Many act/function[B] like-new, with low hours.
- Many appear new, or like new.

All of these decks play SP perfectly, as expected from a JVC. The LP and EP/SLP depends on the tape, but many/most will be fine. I specifically test each VCR to find out how it will perform on EP/SLP, and realign as needed, for the best possible overall EP/SLP performance.

I also want to add this: Some of the Professional SR models are behaving even better than Panasonic S-VHS decks on EP/SLP mode tapes! Yes, including the legendary AG-1980P! So if you're planning to do SP, or EP, or both, let me know. I'll give you the deck most ideal for the task at hand. (Also, please, don't ask for SP+EP "just in case". If your tapes are all SP or EP, a deck that is tuned to that mode will act best. I want you to get what's best!)

* Note that JVC VCRs may not be the best choice if you have lots of linear audio videotapes, which is unusual.

FYI: For those wondering how I created a "suggested VCR list", it's because I bought, owned, and used most of the listed decks. And these are those decks.

For some strange reason, starting back in 2021/22, I started getting requests for "pictures", as if that tells you anything about these units. While the cosmetics on all my items is usually excellent, sometimes like-new, it's the performance that matters. No mere photo can show that. You can already use Google to find photos of what these units look like, if you're curious. In the few instances where images are not readily available, all a photo would tell you is "Wow, a boring VCR!" It's a waste of my time to take photos, and a waste of yours to view them. So I don't do "pictures". I'm not some Craigslist/etc random person.

PM if interested.

If you want a high-end VCR (JVC) in known-good condition, inspected and tested by somebody that has 25+ years in VHS (either as serious hobbyists or professionally), then get one before they're all gone.

________

In past months, I've tested and re-tested each of these. Several have been refurbished to like-new condition, and others are still as perfect now as the day I bought them. I've properly cleaned each deck, and realigned it if needed.

- JVC HR-S7500/7600/7800/7900 with line TBC - all gone!
- JVC HR-S9500/9600/9800/9900/9911 with line TBC - all gone!
- JVC SR-V10/V101/VS20/VS30 with line TBC - all gone!
- JVC SR-MV40/45/50/55 with line TBC + LSI-based DVD recorder combo - all gone!
- JVC D-VHS with line TBC - all gone!
- JVC HR-S3800/5902 without line TBC - all gone!
- Panasonic AG-1970/1980P with field TBC - all gone!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Last edited by lordsmurf; 03-11-2024 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Updated 3-11
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020), kcamera (12-21-2020)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Site Staff | Video

5 gone.
10 still available.

Including:
- HR-S9800 for $425 (last one!)
- SR-V10 for $225 (only two left!) -- nice EP mode tracking on these!

I have a few more in temp-controlled storage, and need to re-test them.

In addition, I have two problem units: an SR-V10 and a SR-V101 that I may sell for cheap. $50-75 range.
Contact me if interested in those.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Gauth (04-29-2017)
05-27-2017, 01:33 AM
Site Staff | Video

Most of that last batch of VCRs has now been sold. Finally had time to test some more of the units, as well as repair/refurb a few that didn't meet my quality standards at first. These can now be sold. Everything available here works and looks quite decent, most are like-new.

Only 12 decks now left.
Only 9 decks now left.

The JVC HR-S9800U is probably the prize of the litter, and it will be $425. All others are at or near $300. < Gone!

Note:

Everything I'm selling has been tested thoroughly. Everything from transport stability/alignment to TBC performance to other odd quirks that can happen on JVC VCRs (chroma offset, etc). I feed it a battery of test tapes, each with special quirks that can show if the VCR has a weakness or problem.

If you want to try eBay for a $225-range unit, good luck to you. Several of my recent buyers already played that game of Russian roulette and lost. Out of every 10 VCRs you see on that site, half of those are "untested" or "powers on", which is a weasel term for "broken". The other 5 claim "tested", but at least 3 of 5 are actually scammers (insurance fraud) or idiots (ie, any image in any condition is "tested"), and the units do not actually work. So you have a 20% chance, at best, of getting a good unit. Maybe.

There's also a catch, and the catch is this: To test a unit, you need skills that you probably don't have. Do you? Probably not.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: archivarious (09-08-2020)
06-14-2017, 09:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Updated. More now gone.

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: BarryTheCrab (09-28-2017)
09-27-2017, 05:11 PM
Free Member

Dear LordSmurf, should you come across a decent PAL VCR which will not break the piggy bank I would be very interested. Currently using a HITACHI M328 encoding to VIDBOX (Mac) and having major sync issues with audio. As you might gather I'm new at this. Read on your forum that I should probably start with a better VCR. So here's to hoping! Thanks Karin
09-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Free Member

May I ask, what is "Professional SRs - only 6 left!"
10-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinHougaard View Post
Dear LordSmurf, should you come across a decent PAL VCR
I won't be parting with either of my PAL decks, just the NTSC VCRs. However, most of my TBCs and capture cards work perfectly with PAL, and some of those are for sale. A proper basic workflow is a good VCR, good TBC, and good capture card. I could get you 2/3rds there, and help you locate a VCR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTheCrab View Post
May I ask, what is "Professional SRs - only 6 left!"
PM me if you have specific questions.

12-24-2017, 01:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Now down to just a few JVC SR-line Pro S-VHS decks!

Don't miss out.

03-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

And then there were two...

05-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Added my SR-V101 to the sale, decided to just keep one. Also a couple of others left.

06-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

More updates, more gone.

In related news, some of my last repair and refurb work has finally has some successes. I'll be listing a PAL workflow in the near future: VCR, TBC, ES10, capture card. All for PAL.

08-01-2018, 06:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Updated, bump. The VCR herd is thinning.

11-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Updated again.

01-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Free Member

Are any of these s-vhs units still available. I'm looking to digitize some old tapes and could use a deck (and advice),... so please, advise
01-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridzoman View Post
Are any of these s-vhs units still available. I'm looking to digitize some old tapes and could use a deck (and advice),... so please, advise
I have two VCRs left. I'll PM you.

01-08-2019, 10:32 PM
Free Member

Do you still have those last 2 left? I am a complete newb on this but I wrote software for 35 years so I reckon I can learn something new. Research led me to you anyhow. Of course as a newb I tried 4 useless vcr's I had lying around the house and bought one of those useless cheapass usb capture dongles. My sister has a panasonic pv-d4744s I was about to go get when I decided I better do a little research first. The only items I have that "may" be useful are my laptop with a firewire card and a Panasonic PV-GS300 camera I was looking to use as a pass through device.

My elderly mother had an old Panasonic pv-4200 that she used to record road trips, her grand kids etc and that is primarily where the source tapes come from. If you could give me some advice on where to start and whether my pass through solution will work or not I'd really really appreciate it.

Thanks....
01-08-2019, 11:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olinbr View Post
Do you still have those last 2 left? I am a complete newb on this but I wrote software for 35 years so I reckon I can learn something new. Research led me to you anyhow. Of course as a newb I tried 4 useless vcr's I had lying around the house and bought one of those useless cheapass usb capture dongles. My sister has a panasonic pv-d4744s I was about to go get when I decided I better do a little research first. The only items I have that "may" be useful are my laptop with a firewire card and a Panasonic PV-GS300 camera I was looking to use as a pass through device.

My elderly mother had an old Panasonic pv-4200 that she used to record road trips, her grand kids etc and that is primarily where the source tapes come from. If you could give me some advice on where to start and whether my pass through solution will work or not I'd really really appreciate it.

Thanks....
For the moment, all of my extra decks are gone.

However, I do have some could-be-excellent-again decks I tinker with in my spare time. Nothing major, just in need of attention, not a broken junk deck. If I know that somebody wants a good deck, and wants to pay what it's worth ($250 to $525 range, varies by model), I can tinker faster, with a paid deposit. Just PM me.

I also have some connections/leads on good equipment, including some members here that don't list on the marketplace.

A better VCR is highly suggested, a model with built-in line TBC.

In terms of passthrough, at the very least, you'll need a Panasonic DMR-ES10 or DMR-15 -- something else I'm now out of, though you can find units on eBay (though be wary of anything under $75, with better condition decks in the $100-125 range, at least at this very moment). It's used as a processing box only, bad signal in, good signal out, not a DVD recorder. That's a minimal TBC(ish), though you may find yourself needing to stack with an external framesync TBC.

What you propose with the PV-GS300 is DV compressed transfer, and it loses 50% of the color data. It works, but it's not great quality-wise. Even high-bitrate MPEG looks better, and lossless lossless is much better. Better capture cards are available, and for under $100.

Answer everything for you?

01-09-2019, 12:51 AM
Free Member

Oh well.

BTW, I just found a TV Wonder 650 PCI card (109-a69834-11) in my room of computer parts. It must have come in a system I picked up because I have never used a TV card before. I saw on here where people mentioned a TV card as part of their solution. And I have practically every cable ever made and access to practically all software ever written. I presume it is old and won't work but maybe....

A few years ago when the Atlanta office of the company I worked for closed (40 people worked there) only 3 developers were kept on. Main office told me and my 2 coworkers to go get whatever we needed to work from home. we cleaned it out. I wound up with a really nice color laserjet printer, 9 computers of varying capabilities, (2 of them were xeon servers) a cherry wood bookcase, cherry desk, 3 office chairs, parts and cables too numerous to name which is the reason I have a parts "room" - so if there is an obscure part I need I may very well have it.

I am not working at the moment but I'm not broke either. If I could pick up a decent VCR at the lower end of the price range, say 250, 300 or so I would do it. I can also check with my Mom and see if she could help with the costs which I will do in the morning.

I am no longer interested in the PV-GS300 pass through idea as losing 50% of anything sorta defeats the purpose.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will get back to you tomorrow after I speak with my mom.

Last edited by Olinbr; 01-09-2019 at 01:19 AM.
02-11-2019, 01:49 PM
Free Member

Do you know of anyone else who has anything available?? Preferably something in the $200-$400 range.
02-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissrudd4554 View Post
Do you know of anyone else who has anything available?? Preferably something in the $200-$400 range.
Yes, PM me.