Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-12-2023, 07:25 PM
Free Member

Hello all, Attempting my first AG1980 restoration and have some basic questions for those that have done it before:

1. Is it worth it to recap literally everything (perhaps other than the RF tuner), or to just recap Y/C Board, Timer Board, Audio Boards, and Power Supply if your goal is VHS playback for archival? Also would like to know about any of the other specific caps or boards with high failure rates that should be prophylactically addressed.

2. My unit seems to have a rather loud head as it spins though the unit itself appears to not have been used much to suggest that the bearings should actually be worn out. Is it recommended to disassemble the head in order to lubricate the bearings if it is rather loud, or is that likely do damage something? Any tutorial links out there on how to do so suggested?

3. Cap lists I'm seeing do not list the numerous SMD caps on the underside of the "Audio 2" daughter board - There's something like 20 of them - see attached picture. Anyone know what that board does specifically? If it isn't used for video/audio playback, that's not something I'd probably want to recap.

4. I intend to recap the power supply to see if that eliminates the rather loud buzz, but are there any other components that contribute to that other than capacitors? I suspect that the main switching regulator IC (STR6705) could be could contribute and be replaced, but I haven't heard of anyone actually suggesting that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2389.jpg (163.3 KB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors