Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-26-2021, 02:11 AM
Free Member

I recently acquired a dodgy, untested TBC-1000 and found two different AC adapters with the right specs. Unfortunately, the device did not power on or light up the LED. I opened up the top and nothing seemed blatantly corroded or broken. I compared my interior to other pictures people posted here, and the obvious difference is that my TBC only has the two green boards. It does not have the beige power supply board that was in every other photo I could find.

My first reaction was, oh, I just bought a unit that had the power board removed. But I looked closer, and I noticed the board layout was slightly different and did not have the power board connectors in the place that the other units did. Do I have a different board revision? Is my power board missing or not?

Either way, I am searching for solutions. If my board is missing, can I source one or build one? The design does not seem complicated. If my board revision does indeed have an integrated power supply, what else should I investigate to fix the power issue? Thanks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tbcphoto1.jpg (136.9 KB, 27 downloads)
File Type: jpg tbgphoto2.jpg (178.4 KB, 20 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-16-2021, 12:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
The TBC-1000 was produced for about 10 years, numerous production changes, thus has multiple designs. Some good, some bad, some neutral.

The brown board "missing" is not a concern here, and this is simply an earlier single-board design.
DO NOT try to add this board. The unit is NOT made for it!

You need a 12V 1.2A (to 2A) center-positive power. Some units included 0.8A power, but I generally replace those with 2A when seen. It usually still works with 0.8A, as TBC were a bit loosy-goosey with power specs. Do note that I once nuked a TBC-1000, which had included 2A (failed unit), and tried a 0.8A since extra on hand. It didn't like 0.8A at all. This was years ago.

You can remove the mainboard (VP301) and try computer molex on it, see if the red light comes on.
If not, unit is failed, fixes are not likely.
If light lights, then you know the rest of the unit is bad. But still not a whole TBC.

Did you buy that insane $1k "for parts/repair" eBay auction? I've mentioned that several times lately, knew it was very likely NOT working, and we'd have a post on it. Lots of bad units are on eBay. I know what to look for, what to ask, and have a pretty good BS sniffer.

You're welcome to send it to me. I can let you know if failed, and I may be able to repair it (extra parts available).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
datavideo, repair, tbc, tbc-1000