Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-29-2023, 07:34 PM
Free Member

Hello

Thank you for this site. It's tough to find older VCR details online.

I'm attempting to get working a VCR for an older family member. It is a Panasonic PV-V4523S . I'm reasonably mechanically inclined and tech saavy, but little experience working with VCRs. I havent used one since I was a kid - so it's possible I'm missing something easy here.

The VCR accepts and ejects a VHS fine, but the entire time the tape is in the VCR there is a message on the VCR display that I cannot decipher (see attached picture). There is no picture displayed on the TV, and clicking of the VCR buttons does not change this VCR display message. It displays as long as the tape is in - once ejected it goes away. As far as I know the VCR worked fine years ago - it's been off in a box for the last few years.

The code/message almost looks like an error code or fault code, but I cannot figure out what it means. The two characters on the left almost look like "FL" implies "fault" ? Or is it "front left" ? And then the two characters on the right I cannot figure out.

I spent a lot of time looking up error codes and such for VCRs and didnt find one that looked like a good match. I found the manual for this model and read through it - but didn't see anything that looked relevant.

The VCR is special to the family member and I'm looking to repair it if needed (I can open it up and follow a youtube video or tutorial if that happens to be needed). The VCR is out of state so I don't have it in front of me - but am looking to arm myself with information and things to try the next time I travel and visit.

Any info or direction you can provide would be helpful. Thank you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DisplayError_1.jpg (52.0 KB, 9 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-29-2023, 08:14 PM
Free Member

Welcome. My first though was it's displaying "play" but with a few of the green LED segments not illuminating. Re no picture have you tried running a standard cleaning tape as per the instructions? A look inside at the tape path might reveal why there's no picture. There's probably a small foam ring designed to clean the rotating video heads. It may have turned to goo, actually gumming up the heads. If so its best removed.

Last edited by timtape; 08-29-2023 at 08:57 PM.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: K231 (08-30-2023)
08-30-2023, 12:46 PM
Free Member

Hi timtape

Thank you for the welcome.

AND OH MY GOSH - ha I think you are correct ! Never in a million years would I have realized that it was saying "PLAY" just with some failing light sections. I was thinking some lights were out, but was trying to figure out what error code they represented - never even thinking it might be not an error. That is brilliant - ha. Thank you.

I do think that is correct - that it's just saying "PLAY". Great.

Checking my understanding of possible next steps:
1) Knowing that is now saying "PLAY", double check cable hookup in back. Perhaps no picture is related to a cable connection issue and VCR is fine.
2) If that fails, try running a (wet?) VHS cleaning tape (never heard of these :-) but just researched them and found one at Best Buy. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-bu...?skuId=6463812 . Is something like this what you are referring to ?
3) If cleaning tape doesn't work, try opening up the VCR and removing the foam ring to clean the heads (like at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Bd1w-F8Og about 44 seconds in)

Is that correct ? Thank you.
08-30-2023, 04:13 PM
Free Member

The YT instruction video seems pretty spot on including safety precautions. Some nasty shocks possible even with the VCR unplugged. As always if you're not confident about opening the VCR up and getting in deep, do entrust this to someone with the skills and trust worthy.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: K231 (09-05-2023)
09-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Free Member

Sounds good. Thank you.