Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-23-2023, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Hi

Does anyone know if the EG variant of Panasonic DMR ES10/15 (Eu model) supports French SECAM input.

I already have an NTSC unit, and I don't do a lot of PAL, but considering getting an EU one if it accepts SECAM-L in.

My guess is it may accept secam input, but will output PAL, of course the official manual does not even mention the hidden TBCish option, so it mentions nothing about using it as SECAM Passthrough.

If not, Does anyone know of similar DVD recorders to suggest that may support SECAM-L?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-23-2023, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

I see hodgey said

Quote:
"I'm relatively sure the PAL dvd-recorders with line-tbc functionality, like the Panasonics and newer Sony/Pioneer models support SECAM input, so you shouldn't need to transcode to PAL first if using those."
But how sure?
04-23-2023, 07:08 PM
Free Member

Did a quick test with inputting SECAM colorbars AVT-8710 on my Panasonic DMR-EH58 and my Pioneer DVR-440 and they both interpret it correctly it as SECAM and outputted PAL over S-VIdeo outputs.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
04-23-2023, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Can't Thank you enough Hodgey for taking the time to do such test at 2AM!

Now I the 2 candidates you tested and I have my eyes on e50 and e55 (according to manual it supports SECAM input).

Any idea how these perform compared to ES10? (mainly for tearing/flagging)?

Edit:
Interesting, just found this manual on (Canadian) Panny website for ES10.

https://panasonic.ca/viewing/all/dmr...rqt8020-1l.pdf

It seems to suggest it support PAL input

Quote:
Video System:
To select the video system type
Press [e, r] to select “PAL” or “SECAM” if the
picture lacks colour, and press [ENTER].
Auto: This unit automatically distinguishes PAL
and SECAM signals.
PAL: For receiving PAL signals.
SECAM: For receiving SECAM signals.
I guess this is enough proof to go ahead and get an EU es10?
04-23-2023, 07:40 PM
Free Member

The E50 and E55 are earlier models, I haven't used any of those myself, but there are some samples of the E55 showing it correcting jitter but might differ a bit from the ES10. Also not to be confused by the EH50 (essentially ES10 + hard drive) and EH55 (essentially ES15 + hard drive).

There are some minor differences behavior between ES10 and others from the same lineup and models from the next year on like the ES15 but only gonna be notable in extreme cases and not sure if one is better than the other or if it depends on tape in that case.

Something here I don't know if there are differences how good the SECAM decoding in the various variants is.

That link doesn't work for me but maybe the manual is from not from the North American variant as that one only supports NTSC.

Also just checked quickly with a mesecam test recording on a JVC SVHS deck (non-TBC one), horizontal stabilization/"line-TBC" seems to still be workin as with PAL and NTSC.

04-23-2023, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
That link doesn't work for me but maybe the manual is from not from the North American variant as that one only supports PAL.
The link does not work outside USA and Canada (I needed a VPN too). But it seems to be a world-wide manual that splits on some lines and say (for EU model, for NA model, etc)

Thanks a lot for your valuable input! I really appreciate it!
04-24-2023, 01:38 AM
Free Member

The E50 is rubbish imo, i had one , resold it quickly. No yuv / hdmi, wrong levels, strange colors bars on top of the picture at times, not to mention the 90's style OS menu. It did an okay job as far as syncin' lines on vhs, not better than my sony rdr.
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: mbassiouny (04-24-2023)
04-24-2023, 05:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
That link doesn't work for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbassiouny View Post
The link does not work outside USA and Canada
If only there were some way to share the PDFs here, somehow "attach" to the conversation...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf rqt8020-1l.pdf (2.58 MB, 1 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: mbassiouny (04-26-2023)
05-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone happen to know how to get EU/PAL units to read NTSC input properly??

for me, my pal unit takes PAL in just fine and outputs PAL with colors, but NTSC input gives grey colors (capture card set on NTSC in, since the device is supposed to output NTSC in this case right?).
05-15-2023, 03:22 PM
Free Member

Did you switch the device to NTSC as well? It has manually be changed to NTSC/525-line in the menus. Also be aware that it only supports standard ntsc, not NTSC 4.43 or PAL60.

05-15-2023, 03:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Also just checked quickly with a mesecam test recording on a JVC SVHS deck (non-TBC one), horizontal stabilization/"line-TBC" seems to still be workin as with PAL and NTSC.
As someone who mainly has MESECAM tapes, I can also confirm that my PAL ES10 unit does stabilize on output.
05-15-2023, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

@Hodgey, Thanks, I looked in the menu and found no such option, so I assumed it switches automatically.

Checked the manual after your comment and realized there was a part I did not notice about switching NTSC/PAL. By clicking the stop button + OPEN/CLOSE simultaneously for 5 seconds. Works now. This was in the service manual... not user manual...

@Sunk, thanks a lot! That's good to know. And do you need to do any particular switching for Mesecam or just set it to PAL in?

I appreciate the tips and knowledge shared here, thanks both!