Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-07-2021, 06:57 PM
Free Member

Asking again since the previous posts are a bit outdated

I think I'm using a terrible VHS-C adapter, its this cheap Amazon one and even then they sent me a different model - I think it is hurting my conversion.

Looking to buy a JVC/Panasonic playpak instead. Do these seem good/trustworthy? Do you recommend any other place to buy from?

JVC ebay

JVC ebay 2

Panasonic ebay
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-07-2021, 07:29 PM
Free Member

The JVC ones you link are decent at least, probably the panasonic as well but I don't recognize the specific model.

JVC C-P7U, C-P6U, C-P5U and Panasonic VW-TCA7 (Some or all of these are also sold with different branding from other camcorder manufacturers) are all decent. There are various other older ones too, some with manual loading, but I know less about those.

The generic ones that looks like this and is sold under a ton of different brand names, including panasonic, is pretty meh and not as well built so I would avoid those. They're not complete trash, but the build quality is not quite up to par to the older ones that came with camcorders. I've experienced that they sometimes fail to tread the tape properly.
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: AnalogDoughnuts (10-11-2021), lenslol (06-07-2021)
06-07-2021, 07:47 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the response!

Quote:
under a ton of different brand names, including panasonic
In my case it is definitely very bad, and I want to avoid them for sure. As of right now, playing the VHS-C tape directly from my Panasonic palmcorder is giving me a lot less trouble than the adapter inside of a JVC HR-S2901U connected with S-Video. Rendering my workflow pointless.

Quote:
JVC C-P7U, C-P6U, C-P5U and Panasonic VW-TCA7 (Some or all of these are also sold with different branding from other camcorder manufacturers) are all decent.
That being said... is an adapter through the JVC going to be much better than playing it from my camcorder? (the camcorder doesnt have a built in TBC) If yes, then I will spring the extra cash to get a good quality adapter. Otherwise, I'll save the money and maybe I just start converting using only my camcorder. (I do have an DMR-ES15 and modded DVK as well though, but no idea how to use it)

I am most scared of the JVC adapters + the JVC SVHS "eating" up my tapes. But I can buy 2 JVC C-P7U for the price of one Panasonic VW-TCA7.
06-08-2021, 10:13 AM
Free Member

VHS-C camcorders can be quite variable, so hard to say for sure. Some of the very late ones actually had some interesting hardware in them (e.g I have two JVC ones that have an extremely good TBC but unfortunately some other issues instead). Most of them didn't come with all that advanced playback circuitry though, and unless it's a SVHS one it will only have composite out. If you have a spare tape that you are not too afraid of you could always try to do a comparison.

You would want to use the ES15 in any case to stabilize things, camcorder tapes especially are often very unstable as they were recorded when moving around and such.

I don't think there is much difference with tape eating between the JVC and Panasonic adapters, that would be more a worry with the cheap adapter, the issues reported with JVC by some users is down to the VCR I think (I've never had any issues with it myself, but some people here have noted it, maybe it's more a think with NTSC). I believe the JVC HR-S2901U is one of the very late models where JVC used a different mechanism to most of the earlier recommended JVC models on this site, I don't know if models with that mech had the same issue.
06-08-2021, 01:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Yes, eating issues are from the VCR or camera, rarely a good motorized CP7U-type VHS-C adapters. The non-motorized adapters, however, are also known for eating tapes. It was mostly the HR series JVCs that did this, the SR series far less often, especially the EOL models.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: AnalogDoughnuts (10-11-2021)
12-02-2023, 02:43 PM
Free Member

Just filling in with some fresh experience of a motorized adaptor branded Hama 00044704.

Pana 7650: refused to play the tape (err. 05 in display)
JVC HR S7700: chewed the tape
Pana NV-HS960: refused to respond to any buttons pressed after having inserted the adaptor even after power cycle. Had to unhook tape and eject adaptor manually.

I can't believe they actually manufacture this piece of crap. They must be returned by the tons! Now going for a used JVC C-P7U. However I've bought similar used ones branded Panasonic from the 90's and both had to be scrapped. One had the motor coils burned, the other one I can't remember for sure but I think the problem was that the grease had hardened, impeding the mechanism.

Read somewhere that it's not possible to play VHS-C tapes recorded in long play mode on ordinary VCR's. Something about the VHS-C camera altering the azimuth angle to achieve long play, which is incompatible with most VHS players. Any truth in that? @lordsmurf
12-02-2023, 08:12 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runrunsparrow View Post
Read somewhere that it's not possible to play VHS-C tapes recorded in long play mode on ordinary VCR's. Something about the VHS-C camera altering the azimuth angle to achieve long play, which is incompatible with most VHS players. Any truth in that? @lordsmurf
No. Horsepuckey, bullplop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runrunsparrow View Post
Just filling in with some fresh experience of a motorized adaptor branded Hama 00044704.
I can't believe they actually manufacture this piece of crap. They must be returned by the tons!
The appearance is that of a good model, and it could just be a bad unit.

Even the "new" ones are aged now. If parts warped (too much heat, too much cold, while in storage for decades), all it takes is 1mm of tape misalignment for bad things to happen.

The exact deck matters, too. In general, most of the JVC HR decks eat tapes.

Quote:
Now going for a used JVC C-P7U. However I've bought similar used ones branded Panasonic from the 90's and both had to be scrapped. One had the motor coils burned, the other one I can't remember for sure but I think the problem was that the grease had hardened, impeding the mechanism.
JVC and Panasonic were both Matsushita at that time, and the -C adapters are often identical. But both had many models.

It's just hard to get adapters now. Decent ones were all about $20 and excellent in 2019, but are now often $50 and abused in 2023 (almost 2024). 5 years too late.

Everything from VCRs to TBCs are getting to be pretty ratty now. I'm having a hell of a time getting refurbs done, same for others. So many issues, compound errors, cascade problems. I'm seeing more failed capture cards now than ever before. Adapters and cables, too.

eBay is 90%+ all crap, even with all 100% claiming "working" and "tested" -- all BS/lies. That junk is mostly resold by recyclers that wouldn't know an s-video cable from an HDMI cable. I'd rather hunt for one of these local in a pawn shop or thrift store, as sadly those tend to work better than eBay for -C adapter finds.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-03-2023, 01:34 PM
Free Member

I now believe there's no difference between VHS-C adapters and voodoo. I would like to a a third parameter to the two that lordsmurf stated above. Part from adaptor + deck match, the VHS-C cassette type and age also plays a part. I now tried another cassette in the Hama adapter with the JVC HR-S7700 and it actually works. Monitoring the transfer like one would monitor the breathing of a new bort. Ready to pull the deck's power plug at any chugging sound or rolling image.