Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-09-2024, 02:36 PM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

It's my first post on this forum
I'm Alessandro, an electronic engineering student. I'm very passionate about motorsports and fortunate enough to own a decent number of VHS tapes with motor-related content that I would like to digitize.

Currently, I have this equipment:
VCRs:
1. SABA EV600G
2. Panasonic NV-FJ603
3. Samsung (only for cleaning moldy tapes)

Capture devices:
1. WinTV HV PVR 150
2. WinTV HVR 4000
3. DVD Recorder: Samsung HR 773

Currently, I am digitizing with SABA EV600G + DVD recorder. The points on which I would like to ask for your opinion and eventually receive advices are:

- The colors of the DVD recorder seems to be more "natural" than those of the two capture cards (i've uploaded a comparison), but the bitrate mode is SP or XP (around 4500 for SP and around 9000). In my opinion, a suitable bitrate would be around 6500, as 4500 is a bit low and 9000 is too high. Are there DVD recorder models that have for good colors (especially red) while allowing custom bitrate settings?
Or do you have any capture card model to suggest?
Note: i'm not using DVDs, i'm recording on the HDD of the DVD recorder and then i copy them on another hard disk via computer.

Also, i'm facing these issues:
- I have a few tapes that "vibrate" (I have attached a few examples) and my question is: a VCR with Time Base Corrector could help reduce this defect?
- I have some tapes recorded in EP that I would like to digitize, but
- SABA enters SLP mode, but the screen remains black.
- Panasonic enters EP mode, but the video is played at a faster speed than normal, and the audio is crackling, with the video full of artifacts.
(I have attached a video of both as well)

So i would like to buy a VCR to try to fix both issues, I read your list of recommended VCRs and i am leaning towards a Philips VR1100.
Do you think it's a suitable purchase?
Do you have any general advice?

Thank for your time reading all this
I am very grateful for any response and advice
Alessandro

Attached Files
File Type: mpg VIBRATIONS.1.mpg (43.02 MB, 13 downloads)
File Type: mpg VIBRATIONS.2.mpg (35.42 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: mp4 PANASONIC.EP.mp4 (3.12 MB, 1 downloads)
File Type: mp4 SABA.EP.mp4 (2.47 MB, 2 downloads)
File Type: mpg CAPTURE.CARD.COMPARISON.mpg (46.61 MB, 3 downloads)
File Type: mpg DVDREC.COMPARISON.mpg (35.47 MB, 4 downloads)

Last edited by alelazza; 01-09-2024 at 03:27 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-09-2024, 03:02 PM
Free Member

First things first a tape reel should not "vibrate" indeed.Sounds to me like a mis aligned tape(s) during the recording.
Is it the AC head (which would explain a wrong reading of the tape speed) or maybe it's the guides (P2,P3) that need a twist or a combination of both that you will have to find. Could also be a back tension issue but generally a vcr can lack tension with the age. Back tension is critical anyhow for a smooth playback
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: alelazza (01-10-2024)
01-09-2024, 06:28 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the post and the examples.

No matter which make or model of VCR it needs to be in good working condition - today, not 30 years ago when it was new. This is to play your tapes at their best, and not damage them. This is specially true when playing LP or EP tapes where playback tolerances are small.

You're an electronics engineering student. Do you know about basic VCR maintenance such as how to professionally clean the VCR's entire tape path, plus checking everything is working well mechanically? A lot of basic first line maintenance is cleaning. How about testing the condition of electrolytic capacitors with an ESR tester? Even technicians who are not qualified engineers do this.

A TBC can correct some faults but not others. That's where a VCR in top condition can make the TBC's job a lot easier.

Last edited by timtape; 01-09-2024 at 06:58 PM.
The following users thank timtape for this useful post: alelazza (01-10-2024)
01-10-2024, 01:55 AM
Free Member

Hi timtape, thanks for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
Do you know about basic VCR maintenance such as how to professionally clean the VCR's entire tape path, plus checking everything is working well mechanically?
I'd say i'm a bit into vcr maintenance but i wouldn't say "profesionally"
What I do as routine maintenance is cleaning the heads and checking that the mechanical parts are well lubricated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtape View Post
How about testing the condition of electrolytic capacitors with an ESR tester? Even technicians who are not qualified engineers do this.
I have to admit that i never did that, also because the Saba EV600G seems just fine with regular SP/LP tapes (except for the ones i posted).
Do you think that could be related to the issues that i'm facing? Is it worth checking?

-- merged --

Hi themaster1, thanks for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
First things first a tape reel should not "vibrate" indeed.Sounds to me like a mis aligned tape(s) during the recording.
If that is the case, is there anything i can do? Do you have any advice?

Quote:
Is it the AC head (which would explain a wrong reading of the tape speed) or maybe it's the guides (P2,P3) that need a twist or a combination of both that you will have to find.
Are you referring to the Panasonic VCR, correct?
I'm not that much into VCR maintenance, do you think i could find an explanation on i how i could do this kind of regulation on the service manual? Or is there any video/article that could explain how to correctly do that?

Quote:
Could also be a back tension issue but generally a vcr can lack tension with the age. Back tension is critical anyhow for a smooth playback
If it was a back tension issue, would i see it for every tape that is played? Because tapes in SP or LP seem to be played (I believe) quite well
01-10-2024, 02:36 AM
Free Member

Which VCR is used for the first two samples?

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-10-2024, 02:59 AM
Free Member

How a vcr work (always informative) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRNv...BhIHZjcg%3D%3D

How to check the back tension:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybNECaYU5sY
The following users thank themaster1 for this useful post: alelazza (01-10-2024)
01-10-2024, 04:51 AM
Free Member

Hi latreche34, thanks for your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Which VCR is used for the first two samples?
Except for the EP examples, all the other videos were captured using the SABA EV600G.
Note: all the VHS were not originally recorded by me, a few friends of mine gave me these tapes.
01-10-2024, 09:12 AM
Free Member

can you post the same sample from the exact timeline using each VCR, the exact same capture card, the same computer and conditions with no other hardware. If a piece of hardware is added, repeat the test on all vcrs with the same piece of hardware. This is the only way to be able to know what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
can you post the same sample from the exact timeline using each VCR, the exact same capture card, the same computer and conditions with no other hardware. If a piece of hardware is added, repeat the test on all vcrs with the same piece of hardware. This is the only way to be able to know what's going on.
Sure i'll capture them again, i'll post as soon as possibile.

Tags
dvd recorder, ep tapes, super vhs, tbc, vcr