Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-09-2024, 09:58 PM
Free Member

Upon running VirtualDub, when I enter Capture AVI, the image displayed to capture on Overlay shows the blue startup on my VHS deck overlayed with black lines (see photo below). When I attempt to go into Preview mode, VirtualDub crashes letting me know it is not responsive and to close the program. A few minutes later, my entire OS freezes, forcing me to shut down and powering on again. I really have no clue what is happening and this has been stupefying me for ages. I have asked about this the last time I encountered this issue through this forum thread https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...b-crashes.html for further info, but it's all happening again and hitting a road block here with no luck from my previous attempts.

I've deleted all the programs/extensions and re-downloaded everything (VirtualDub, Huffyuv, Crossbar Thing, Handbrake, etc.) extracting the folders in C:\Program Files (x86) through WinRAR and following all the necessary steps through the forum and am still running into this issue. Not sure if it is a hardware issue or a software issue, but could really use some advice here.

VHS setup:
JVC S-VHS SR-VS30
Pinnacle 510-USB Rev 2.0 Capture Card (Driver version 14.0.0.166 for Windows 7 64bit)
Datavideo TBC-1000
Crossbar Thing
VirtualDub 1.9.11

Custom PC running:
Windows 7 64bit
Intel i7-3930K 3.20GHz 6-core processor
32GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 4GB Classified
256GB Corsair SSD
3TB WD Black Edition 7200/rpm HDD

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1342732756.jpeg (42.3 KB, 3 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-09-2024, 11:48 PM
Free Member

I have a similar issue with my Pinnacle 710. I have never gotten the Overlay screen to work. Instead I use the Preview screen. It doesn't work 100% of the time and if I switch to histogram or cropping it occasionally locks up. Try switching to the Preview screen (may have to do this with the capture card disconnected to avoid vdub locking up) and then under Device>Device Settings choose 'Save current display mode as default'. This will make vdub start up in Preview mode automatically and it should start up without freezing. Hope this works for you like it did for me.
The following users thank TacomaTy for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-10-2024)
01-10-2024, 11:10 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
In VirtualDub, main settings (not capture mode), disable all DirectX.

Nvidia cards cause a lot of problems with video capture, especially in Windows 7, for whatever reason (Nvidia's fault entirely). As a test, next try VirtualDub 1.10.x, then VirtualDub2. See how each reacts.

This card generally does not support overlay, unless Windows XP. And that makes sense, seeing as how almost all capture cards are the 2000s, the XP era.

Remember that capturing analog video is a legacu 2000s task, and it's not the 2020s. Sometimes we must remove "new" hardware/software, or use older systems, for that reason. All the "new" cards (or new OS) are for HD, or cheap Chinese USB junk, which does not give you a quality capture of your consumer format SD videos (VHS, etc).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
capture problem, pinnacle 510-usb, system crash, system error, virtualdub