Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-22-2024, 09:13 PM
Free Member

Setup:
-JVC HR-S7900U
-GV-USB2
-VirtualDub 1.9.11 (Followed the guide here to get the best settings: https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...-settings.html)
-Windows 11 Gaming Laptop

Thanks to the countless helpful people and guides here, I've been able to successfully record some VHS tapes I have into a raw digital format. A few questions I have though, are that, I was wondering what settings would be best for my VCR/VirtualDub for anime/cartoons? I saw in the guide here: https://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vi...-hardware.html

The R3 JVC setting was recommended for cartoons. I was wondering if there were any other similar settings that I should consider using? Thank you!

Edit One thing I've noticed with my current captures is that there's almost an afterimage/ghosting effect with high-motion scenes. I have two tapes (both purchased in unused condition) that seem to have this issue. Is there a setting that can improve that at all? I think it might be with the source itself. It looks like this: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...AL-VHS-CApture
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-22-2024, 10:11 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
Never use R3, hatchet job attempt to sharpen edges. Sharpen in post, ideally Avisynth.

There's not single best settings. Situational. Post clip to examine for improvement, error correction.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-23-2024, 09:28 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Never use R3, hatchet job attempt to sharpen edges. Sharpen in post, ideally Avisynth.

There's not single best settings. Situational. Post clip to examine for improvement, error correction.
Gotcha, I went ahead and turned R3 off. Going to experiment with the "SOFT" image setting on the JVC VCR as I've seen recommendations for that for animation videos.

Also, I went ahead and included a screenshot of the ghosting issue I'm referring to. Thanks for your help again, lordsmurf! All your guides have been invaluable along the way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ghosting.jpg (25.7 KB, 6 downloads)
04-23-2024, 09:33 AM
Free Member

Sorry I'd add this as an edit, but I can't add another screen shot if I do that.

I also wanted to ask, in the "Capture Pin" settings of VirtualDub, I'm noticing some additional settings not mentioned in the guides I've read, regarding "I frame intervals" and "P frame intervals" and "Quality" with a scale. I've tried to do some research but I can't find a definitive answer. I've set these values to their minimum, but do you know if that's correct? Uploaded a picture for reference.

Thank you!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg iframe interval.jpg (27.4 KB, 6 downloads)