Quantcast Solution: VirtualDub audio sync for VHS! - digitalFAQ Forum
  #1  
11-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Micheal81 Micheal81 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am posting this in hopes of helping anyone with the same problem. For days I tried various programs to capture VHS tapes to my PC. No matter what I tried, the audio was not in sync. It was not because of my PC specs or dropped frames. I tried various timing settings. I wanted to capture the video with Huffyuv for video and PCM audio. I'm using the USB capture device Roxio DVD to VHS 3 Plus. It has a composite video input and RCA audio jacks.

Here is what I did:

The timing settings under the Capture menu are in the first screenshot below.

Now select these options:

Under the Audio menu> Audio Source>No Source.

Audio menu>Audio Input>No Input.

Audio menu>Windows Mixer.... A window like the second image below will pop up. Make sure the capture device is selected and click properties. A window like the third image pops up. Click the listen tab and select "Listen to this device" Click apply and/or OK. Click OK to close the window from the second image.

This solved my audio sync issues so far. I'm not sure exactly why it worked, but it did. Maybe someone can let me know the answer to that. I hope it will help others who have this problem. I know from searching that a lot seem to have the issue.


Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (50.5 KB, 171 downloads)
File Type: jpg Capture2.JPG (33.1 KB, 143 downloads)
File Type: jpg Capture3.JPG (33.2 KB, 142 downloads)
Reply With Quote
The following users thank Micheal81 for this useful post: jhaze84 (06-25-2020), lordsmurf (01-04-2016)
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Ads / Sponsors
 
Join Date: ∞
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
11-04-2015, 03:29 PM
pinto pinto is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 21
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried various soft too and there is no better solution than AMaRecTV. Forget VDub.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
11-04-2015, 04:00 PM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,648
Thanked 1,198 Times in 959 Posts
AmaRecTV is likely OK, but there's nothing wrong with VirtualDub. The O.P. gave no information about his capture setup or OS, other than the not-recommended Roxio capture device, which has bad press in forums like this one. Hasn't mentioned the player used or whether a line tbc and/or frame tbc are in use, and seems to be using composite input with no y/c comb filter (!). But glad to hear that both of you have your audio working.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
11-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Micheal81 Micheal81 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
AmaRecTV is likely OK, but there's nothing wrong with VirtualDub. The O.P. gave no information about his capture setup or OS, other than the not-recommended Roxio capture device, which has bad press in forums like this one. Hasn't mentioned the player used or whether a line tbc and/or frame tbc are in use, and seems to be using composite input with no y/c comb filter (!). But glad to hear that both of you have your audio working.
I am not and will not be using a TBC. I don't have the money for it. I'm not yet certain what a y/c comb filter is. I will look into it. If it cost money, then it is a no on that too. I may take the Roxio device back and try something else if there is a better 1 in the same price range.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
11-04-2015, 08:58 PM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,648
Thanked 1,198 Times in 959 Posts
Without a tbc of any kind, you can play with audio settings to avoid bad sync. A frame tbc isn't 100% essential, but consider that one can often fix duplicate frames, but not lost frames. With no line tbc, you have motion and scanline noise/errors and vertical distortion that can never be repaired. If using composite input, a y/c comb filter prevents dot crawl and many forms of chroma cross-hatching. If you get dot crawl problems (and I'll bet you do), you'll destroy a good amount of detail trying to get rid of it. The defects mentioned create noise and distortion. A lot of people see bad VHS encodes and say "See there? That's crumby VHS for ya!". More informed viewers would say, "Yep, this is VHS that wasn't captured or processed correctly."

I understand the cost factor. However, I'd suggest you're putting a lot of effort into video glitches that either can't be fixed or are very difficult to fix. There are such things as pass-thru tbc devices that cost 1/4 to 1/10 the price of external tbc's or tbc-equipped players. Pass-thru devices from legacy Panasonic and Toshiba products that have line sync, frame sync, and y/c comb filter functionality has been discussed in many threads here. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it after all that's been posted. If you want more details about various devices in greater depth, use the link below -- it's more detail than you can shake a stick at:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...hat-do-you-use .

Whatever you decide, there are better ways to go about this without breaking the bank. Then again, if you're satisfied with what you're getting there's no reason to change.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
11-05-2015, 04:18 AM
Micheal81 Micheal81 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto View Post
I tried various soft too and there is no better solution than AMaRecTV. Forget VDub.
After running a few test captures with this software, it seems to work perfectly. I am able to capture to Huffyuv video and PCM audio with perfect sync. I was easily able to figure out the settings within a few minutes. I think I will continue to use it unless I start to have problems. I can then use VirtualDub, Handbrake, or MeGUI to filter and convert. Thank you for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
11-05-2015, 04:23 AM
Micheal81 Micheal81 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 24
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Without a tbc of any kind, you can play with audio settings to avoid bad sync. A frame tbc isn't 100% essential, but consider that one can often fix duplicate frames, but not lost frames. With no line tbc, you have motion and scanline noise/errors and vertical distortion that can never be repaired. If using composite input, a y/c comb filter prevents dot crawl and many forms of chroma cross-hatching. If you get dot crawl problems (and I'll bet you do), you'll destroy a good amount of detail trying to get rid of it. The defects mentioned create noise and distortion. A lot of people see bad VHS encodes and say "See there? That's crumby VHS for ya!". More informed viewers would say, "Yep, this is VHS that wasn't captured or processed correctly."

I understand the cost factor. However, I'd suggest you're putting a lot of effort into video glitches that either can't be fixed or are very difficult to fix. There are such things as pass-thru tbc devices that cost 1/4 to 1/10 the price of external tbc's or tbc-equipped players. Pass-thru devices from legacy Panasonic and Toshiba products that have line sync, frame sync, and y/c comb filter functionality has been discussed in many threads here. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it after all that's been posted. If you want more details about various devices in greater depth, use the link below -- it's more detail than you can shake a stick at:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...hat-do-you-use .

Whatever you decide, there are better ways to go about this without breaking the bank. Then again, if you're satisfied with what you're getting there's no reason to change.
I just briefly scanned the thread at the link. I will go over it some more later.

I do have a Liteon DVD Recorder. Maybe this can be used as a passthru device?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
11-05-2015, 06:26 AM
sanlyn sanlyn is offline
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: N. Carolina and NY, USA
Posts: 3,648
Thanked 1,198 Times in 959 Posts
The LiteOn has never been mentioned in any forum I'm aware of, but most DVDR's don't work as pass-thru. Most of them do have some form of rudimentary correction when used to record directly to DVD. The few recommended models from Panasonic and Toshiba are known to be effective pass-thru devices as well as decent y/c comb filters. Most DVDR's don't have y/c comb filters. If you could use a VCR with s-video output, dot crawl and other composite artifacts can be avoided. But those players don't come cheap.

Digital capture devices and encoders aren't at all friendly with analog sources, and they totally wreck analog noise. A TV can usually work solely in the analog domain, which is why a VCR plays "better" thru a TV. When you play analog tape into a digital device, you're working in two different worlds.

The average user isn't as discriminating as avid hobbyists and pros. They'll accept just about anything as long as it moves and has audio. Tech forums like this one are a far cry from consumer blogs, where anything goes. These problems with analog transfer to digital video have existed for as long as analog and digital video have been in existence. Digitalfaq's capture guide, while it hasn't been updated in a while, is still a pretty good guide as far principles and basic procedures are concerned. The hardware has changed in availability and specifics, but the principles are unchanged.

My own personal take is that analog always had problems even in the CRT era, problems that don't exist in the digital world. But frankly digital video has problems as well that you never see in analog video. But that opinion is another story entirely.

Last edited by sanlyn; 11-05-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VirtualDub audio sync, timer settings? thefan007 Capture, Record, Transfer 10 09-23-2015 04:01 AM
Audio out of sync after VirtualDub pinheadlarry Encode, Convert for streaming 23 12-20-2014 12:54 PM
VirtualDub audio sync issues? rds11 Capture, Record, Transfer 2 09-20-2014 01:48 PM
VirtualDub Audio/Video Sync Still An Issue? JasonCA Capture, Record, Transfer 1 01-31-2013 01:05 AM
Capturing VHS with VirtualDub - audio and video out of sync. avz10 Capture, Record, Transfer 3 01-13-2013 06:25 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM