Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-06-2017, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

The .avi sample I posted a few days ago, about "video stuttering?" was captured about September 2016, with good results. This .avi capture sample was just done a few days ago, with same settings, but after having to Restore XP capture computer to earlier date (about 2015 restore point), because ATI MMC was not responding, and freezing, when hitting the Record Button, resulting in having to force a restart. After restoring XP Cap PC to earlier date, I was happily recording again a few days ago, and this file plays fine on original XP Cap PC with ATI Video Player, But looks all crazy after transferring, and playing on my Windows 7 PC, does it look crazy on your player? or is it just my playback system on Win 7 machine? The videos I Capped on Sept. 2016 play fine on My Win 7 system, But these recently capped files look all crazy!

I've also attached a screen shot of what "crazy" looks like on my Win 7 system, just in case the sample plays ok on your system!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AVI latest cap playback.jpg (59.0 KB, 13 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi Tape 42 008.avi (62.92 MB, 9 downloads)

Last edited by rocko; 03-06-2017 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Uh....

Yeah, that's what I get too.
Something is corrupt with the capture. I've never seen anything like that before.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Uh....

Yeah, that's what I get too.
Something is corrupt with the capture. I've never seen anything like that before.
Thanks Lordsmurf, the file(s) do play ok on ATI media player, on XP Cap PC that they were created on. After work tonite, Think I'll try a few simple trial and error things, like connecting the external drive (with these copied files) back to the Cap PC, and seeing if they play ok from there. (Wondering if something happened during transfer from Cap PC, to External Drive, To Video PC). I'm reluctant to just connect offline Cap PC directly to online Video PC for transfer, due to possible virus transfer to offline PC?.that's why I copy captured files first to external drive, then from that, to Win 7 Video PC. Meanwhile, can anyone analize my sample for errors? Thanks again.
03-07-2017, 05:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
The sample Tape 42 008.avi from post #1 as compressed with huffyuv using a threshold of 480 lines for progressive video instead of the recommended 288 lines for interlaced/telecined video. I have my system huffyuv set up for 288 lines, and the sample would not play correctly in VirtualDub or any media player..

I re-set my own huffyuv to 480 lines threshold and the video played correctly in VirtualDub. I mounted that avi in VirtualDub and re-compreessed it to Lagarith YUY2, attached as A_Tape 42 008_Lagarith.avi. If you don't have Lagarith (and why don't you?), go here: https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I then re-set my huffyuv to the proper 288 lines threshold and opened and recompressed the Lagarith version into YUY2 huffyuv
B_Tape 42 008_huff288.avi, attached. It plays correctly on all three of my PC's and two laptops that have huffyuv and with all 4 of their media players.

Attached Files
File Type: avi A_Tape 42 008_Lagarith.avi (41.00 MB, 5 downloads)
File Type: avi B_Tape 42 008_huff288.avi (56.61 MB, 5 downloads)
03-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
The sample Tape 42 008.avi from post #1 as compressed with huffyuv using a threshold of 480 lines for progressive video instead of the recommended 288 lines for interlaced/telecined video. I have my system huffyuv set up for 288 lines, and the sample would not play correctly in VirtualDub or any media player..

I re-set my own huffyuv to 480 lines threshold and the video played correctly in VirtualDub. I mounted that avi in VirtualDub and re-compreessed it to Lagarith YUY2, attached as A_Tape 42 008_Lagarith.avi. If you don't have Lagarith (and why don't you?), go here: https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

I then re-set my huffyuv to the proper 288 lines threshold and opened and recompressed the Lagarith version into YUY2 huffyuv
B_Tape 42 008_huff288.avi, attached. It plays correctly on all three of my PC's and two laptops that have huffyuv and with all 4 of their media players.
Thanks for all the time/work sanlyn, I downloaded and succefully played both #A1 and #B2 files you processed just fine on my Win 7 System. Getting tired now, will reply again later. Very confused
03-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

- https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php...21&postcount=5
- http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post44895
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: rocko (03-07-2017)
03-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Sanlyn, got it, will set to 288!(was confused, because the early/older guide for "capture in .avi using AIW card" clearly says to set huffyuv threshold to 480(?) NTSC
03-07-2017, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Yes, I know. I started out with that guide myself. For years I kept wondering why my captures looked so weird when I played them on other PC's. Then I read a post somewhere in which someone quoted something about threshold from an ancient html page for the early huffyuv. I never found that original document, just a lot of ancient posts in doom9.

Huffyuv and Lagarith setup are mentioned in section #3 of the more recent settings guide about halfway down the page in this post: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post45239.

Last edited by sanlyn; 03-07-2017 at 06:00 PM.
03-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...vi-file-3.html Well, here it all is! I simply forgot about this, Due to many months of not doing any capturing. When I recently restored my XP Capture PC back to 6/7/2015 state, it was back to wrong huffyuv settings all over again!..I had a vague memory of this, but no way to check settings that worked due to restore. Will set huffyuv again as it should be, make sure ATI MMC records properly, then create a New restore point!..Will make separate post later, about why ATI MMC was not recording, and was freezing when hitting the Record button recently.
03-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Site Staff | Video

I've removed that outdated Huffyuv configuration info from the guide. I'm really looking forward to our new site, as then I can proceed to add new guides and make some much-needed changes/updates.

03-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post

As I am following along this thread I ask myself how Sanlyn is able to determine correctly from the original video posted what the Huffyuv threshold settings were at time of capture (in this case 480). I tried Media info and Gspot which tell me it is Huffyuv compression but not the threshold settings upon capture. Additionally Media info shows this video as interlaced and Gspot does not indicate interlaced or progressive.
Trial and error using virtual dub as a player driven by a hunch about the threshold settings? Thanks in advancefor making me smarter.
03-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
I ask myself how Sanlyn is able to determine correctly
sanlyn the wise knows all, sees all.

Actually, it was from this parallel topic: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-problem.html

Maybe even some good guessing/experience?

I've never come across that. At least, I don't remember it. Way back when, when the guide was written, players didn't hate the threshold change. At some point, I changed my method to just leaving it default. I'm really not sure why anymore. It was a good catch on his part.

03-11-2017, 03:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bever View Post
I ask myself how Sanlyn is able to determine correctly
sanlyn the wise knows all, sees all.
Hardly, LOL!

Quote:
Actually, it was from this parallel topic: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...g-problem.html

Maybe even some good guessing/experience?
The earlier huffyuv setup topic in the capture settings thread came from doom9 posts in the 2005 era and which I found a few years ago. The "guesses" came from my own experience of the same problem, and similar problem posts.

As far as guessing goes, only 4 are possible for huffyuv settings: 240, 288, 480, and 576. Setting my own huffyuv to 240 or 288 didn't solve the problem. Setting it to 480 or 576 resulted in proper playback -- but I'd hesitate to guess that someone using NTSC capture would set a PAL threshold of 576 lines.

Determining interlace/noninterlace is iffy with MediaInfo and even more iffy with the obsolete (but often useful) GSpot. MediaInfo will often report telecined video as interlaced or progressive, but true telecine is some of both. A more foolproof way is to learn to do it yourself, first-hand and visually, with Neuron2's old html web page which has been resurrected, zipped, and posted just a few weeks ago, here:

Neuron2_How To Analyze Video Frame Structure.zip.
03-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

Ahh-Such a Tangled Web We Weave!..Sanlyn was correct (of Course)..Fixed!..All I had to do was change huffyuv Configure setting to 288 threshhold (from 480?) in ATI MMC PVR record setup! Apparently thats the setting I had for a few years, getting successful capture/transfer ,avi before recently resetting my XP CapPC back to 2015 state, which had 480 threshold setting!.....well,tried to upload successful 640MB .avi, but "connection was reset, try again later" anyway
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Meant to say "Such a tangled Web "I" weave"!!..Anyway thanks for all the help! Now must remember to set New restore point on cap PC while everything is working correctly!!