Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-27-2017, 03:54 PM
Free Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker - for info's (food for choice) about the equipment that I now own since a short while! - such as:

#1 Sony DRS-25-EU - miniDV
#2 Sony EV-S9000-EU - VideoHi8
#3 JVC S9500-EU - Super VHS

So, thanks for this great forum gals & guys!

Adding yet another post to this older topic...

Q: How can I troubleshoot this cyaan/magenta issue I encounter while capturing Video8 with my Sony EV-S9000E to my Mac Pro - via the FW400 connection of my Sony DSR-25 with S-Video and L/R audio chinch - in Final Cut Pro 7?

Thanks in advance for any hints/directions or help to resolve my issue.

Cheers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenCap 2017-12-27 at 22.37.14.jpg (64.2 KB, 23 downloads)
File Type: jpg ScreenCap 2017-12-27 at 22.37.14.jpg (64.2 KB, 18 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-28-2017, 01:28 AM
Free Member

First of all, get rid of Mac.

And going back to the subject, the Data8 tapes work very well, but the camcorder does not recognize them as Digital8 tapes and does not want to comply to do LP mode on them.
12-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtheGreat View Post
First of all, get rid of Mac.

And going back to the subject, the Data8 tapes work very well, but the camcorder does not recognize them as Digital8 tapes and does not want to comply to do LP mode on them.
With all due respect, this is not exactly the way I would expect that my first post here on the FAQ forum would have been met, what a dumb awnser. I realy take this to be very offensive!

If you are not willing to encounter and welcome new members with any respect, why bother putting your effort in posting a reply anyway!

Not happy at all and very disappointed!
12-28-2017, 04:00 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
Hi all, Long time lurker
Welcome.

Quote:
- for info's (food for choice) about the equipment that I now own since a short while! - such as:
#1 Sony DRS-25-EU - miniDV
#2 Sony EV-S9000-EU - VideoHi8
#3 JVC S9500-EU - Super VHS
Seems fine. I'm not a fan of Video8/Hi8 VTRs, but if you're getting good performance from the S9000, then no issues. Video8/Hi8 doesn't really suffer from the same issues as VHS, aside from dropped frames. You do have an external TBC, right?

Quote:
So, thanks for this great forum gals & guys!
We try.

Quote:
Adding yet another post to this older topic...
Q: How can I troubleshoot this cyaan/magenta issue I encounter while capturing Video8 with my Sony EV-S9000E to my Mac Pro - via the FW400 connection of my Sony DSR-25 with S-Video and L/R audio chinch - in Final Cut Pro 7?
Thanks in advance for any hints/directions or help to resolve my issue.
Cheers!
My first question is this: Does it show those casts when plugged into a TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
With all due respect, this is not exactly the way I would expect that my first post here on the FAQ forum would have been met
Not happy at all and very disappointed!
He means well, but was just a bit too brief. Mac has a very limited capture workflow, essentially DV only. (In general, Mac is very limited with video, not just capture.) And a proper troubleshooting would be to test each item against a constant, or at least a different variable. That would include a secondary capture setup -- and eliminating DV would be prudent when you're seeing color cast issues.

But that may not be easy to do, so we'll try to troubleshoot other avenues first.

Make more sense now?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: m4v3r1ck (01-01-2018)
12-28-2017, 04:35 AM
Free Member

Relax, the Mac thing was a joke and apparently it was me who is mistaken, because I thought it was a different thread, though releated to 8mm tapes, so I'm sorry for that.

But seriously.
The following users thank SFtheGreat for this useful post: m4v3r1ck (01-01-2018)
01-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Free Member

Thanks for your time responding, sorry for my late reply!

Happy New Year! Lechaim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Welcome.

Seems fine. I'm not a fan of Video8/Hi8 VTRs, but if you're getting good performance from the S9000, then no issues. Video8/Hi8 doesn't really suffer from the same issues as VHS, aside from dropped frames. You do have an external TBC, right?
No the TBC is - factory - build into into my Sony EV-S9000E (NL).

Quote:
My first question is this: Does it show those casts when plugged into a TV?
No, I haven't yet.

Quote:
He means well, but was just a bit too brief. Mac has a very limited capture workflow, essentially DV only. (In general, Mac is very limited with video, not just capture.) And a proper troubleshooting would be to test each item against a constant, or at least a different variable. That would include a secondary capture setup -- and eliminating DV would be prudent when you're seeing color cast issues.
The cast only exists in the upper amount of (?)pixels, haven't seen any - until now - in the lower.

Quote:
But that may not be easy to do, so we'll try to troubleshoot other avenues first.

Make more sense now?
Yes, thank your so much for that, but please keep in mind that I'm not a native ENG spreaker nor writer! So jokes sent are not always equally received as such on my side of the Matrix.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFtheGreat View Post
Relax, the Mac thing was a joke and apparently it was me who is mistaken, because I thought it was a different thread, though releated to 8mm tapes, so I'm sorry for that.

But seriously.
Aha, makes sense although these kind of jokes are not my cup of tea!

Cheers.

EDIT!: I owe you an apology too, as I just saw I forgot to mention - when I became member of Dfaq - my location in my Profile Page, which btw is The Netherlands!

Attached Images
File Type: png ScreenCap 2018-01-01 at 23.22.15.png (71.3 KB, 9 downloads)
01-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Yep, profile location help.

Internal TBC is almost always just there to clean the image, not clean the signal. Frames drops are usually caused, and rarely by the image. So even when internal is present, external is needed. The test is to see frames drops. And, of course, Mac doesn't really have any capture software that reveals this. So you may have issues and not even know it.

And that doesn't even solve the issue you're having with the color cast. (Or does it?)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: m4v3r1ck (01-02-2018)
01-02-2018, 06:38 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Yep, profile location help.

Quote:
Internal TBC is almost always just there to clean the image, not clean the signal. Frames drops are usually caused, and rarely by the image. So even when internal is present, external is needed.
What hardware can you recommend?

Quote:
The test is to see frames drops. And, of course, Mac doesn't really have any capture software that reveals this. So you may have issues and not even know it.
I have a Windows 10 Pro - SSD/VMware running on my Mac too, what capture software are you referring to so I can hook my EV-S9000E to Windows and have a better look at it?

Quote:
And that doesn't even solve the issue you're having with the color cast. (Or does it?)
You latest remark is not quite clear to me, please could you elaborate?

Thanks again for your help so far.

Cheers
01-02-2018, 06:50 AM
Site Staff | Video

For TBC, green AVT8710 (no other colors) or TBC-1000.
FYI: I have some available: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...bc-1000-a.html -- PM me if interested.

VirtualDub.
Can your capture card also be used for Windows?

Your color cast issue MAY or MAY NOT be related to TBC. What you might be seeing is a chroma timing-related issue. The top-of-frame is a finicky part of an analog signal, and is where most partial-frame issues happen (tearing, tracking, chroma flicker, etc).

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: m4v3r1ck (01-03-2018)

Tags
capture, cyaan, fcp7, magenta, sony ev-s9000-e