Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-28-2018, 06:31 AM
Free Member

Good day!

My old XP machine finally died and I discovered Sound Forge 7 (hey, if it's not broke, don't fix it) will not run under Windows 7. So I did what I thought was the reasonable thing and bought Sound Forge 12. I tried to install the digitalFAQ SoundForge Filter Pack (I'm VERY fond of Slight Muffle Removal G) but Sound Forge is no longer owned by Sony.

The Preset Manager (version 2.0) does not "see" Sound Forge for lack of a better term. I can't add the filters because it doesn't know I have Sound Forge installed. Has anyone found a way to import the filters into Sound Forge 12? I emailed tech support but that was a week ago and all I've gotten is a German-language email saying they received my request and pointing me to a useless FAQ that didn't address the issue.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-28-2018, 08:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Hmmm...

At very least, I've updated this post quite a bit: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide....html#post9141
I've uploaded a new "2018-Jan" version, so be sure to grab that.

This site already provides 2.0k, which is the "current" (final?) version.

Magix may have deprecated the ability to import filters, dumb as it may be. I often get the feeling that the Sony-Magix transition wasn't clean. Lots of stuff disappear, and unknown if that was conscious decision by Magix or simply oversight from a messy takeover. Vegas users are running into the same issues, so you're not alone.

Could it perhaps be permission issues? Running as admin / not admin.
Or usual x86 / x64 issues?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-30-2018, 09:02 PM
Free Member

I appreciate the update. I think the problem with the filter importer is it's trying to find a "Sony" program and the new Sound Forge says "Magix". I haven't tried modifying the installer to look for a different string. At worst I'll run an XP VirtualBox and install my old copy of SF7 there and cross-map the folder. Ugly but if it works...

It's not an Admin trick (running the tool As Admin...), but I suppose it could be x32/x64... Thanks for the ideas, this is already WAY more than I got in response from Magix.
02-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I wonder if it's possible to temp rename the SF installed folder to Sony, get everything added, and rename back to Magix. I'm not sure if it's that basic, where the Presets Manager checks file structure. Or if more complex, when it reads something in registry. At any rate, something else to try.

I know Sound Forge 9 runs in Win7.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs