Quantcast When is the KDVD Plus Template Going to be Available? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
  #1  
07-16-2002, 07:55 PM
syk2c11 syk2c11 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kwag,
I know you are very busy man, I am just wondering when will the KDVD Plus template available, an estimation will be good enough.

I encoded a small clip by using the existing KDVD (full D1) and burnt with DVDit it as a cDVD, the quality was terrible, blocks were floating from deep inside the screen to the surface CONSISTENTLY. I did not change a single setting inside the KDVD template, what have I done wrong (source=VOB files ripped from DVD disc). For audio, when your KDVD plus is available, do we use the same procedure (AC3-->MP2 by HeadAC3) to process the audio stream or we can use the WAV file and let DVDit to convert to dolby digital?? I can not thank you enough.
Reply With Quote
Someday, 12:01 PM
admin's Avatar
Site Staff / Ad Manager
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 42
Thanks: ∞
Thanked 42 Times in 42 Posts
  #2  
07-16-2002, 08:21 PM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk2c11
Kwag,
I know you are very busy man, I am just wondering when will the KDVD Plus template available, an estimation will be good enough.

I encoded a small clip by using the existing KDVD (full D1) and burnt with DVDit it as a cDVD, the quality was terrible, blocks were floating from deep inside the screen to the surface CONSISTENTLY. I did not change a single setting inside the KDVD template, what have I done wrong (source=VOB files ripped from DVD disc). For audio, when your KDVD plus is available, do we use the same procedure (AC3-->MP2 by HeadAC3) to process the audio stream or we can use the WAV file and let DVDit to convert to dolby digital?? I can not thank you enough.
Hi syk2c11:

I don't think there's any need for a KDVD Plus template. There's no quality difference at that high bit rate. The KDVD templates posted already have the new Q.Matrix in them , so the file size is smaller than the one made with the KDVD templates posted before, but the quality is the same. So we get more run time in DVD's with the templates posted. For the audio part, I would do the same thing we're doing with the regular KVCD templates. Use headac3he for the audio and mux it with the video stream. Then let DVDit convert it to dolby audio. About the terrible quality you got I don't know what happened. I have had excelent results with the KDVD templates. The full D1 make a full DVD quality video. Also Bud ( Hello Bud ) has had a lot of success doing KDVD's. Actually he has done many more that me

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #3  
07-17-2002, 01:18 AM
syk2c11 syk2c11 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kwag,
Just for your information, I chose the Tmpeg's default matrix instead of your own one when I encoding with KDVD template, it might be the cause of the terrible picture quality, I will encode another clip again with your matrix to see what the outcome will be. Is it possible to name the matrix, i see it is blank in the matrix's pulldown menu of KDVD?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
07-17-2002, 01:31 AM
kwag kwag is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Puerto Rico, USA
Posts: 13,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk2c11
Kwag,
Just for your information, I chose the Tmpeg's default matrix instead of your own one when I encoding with KDVD template, it might be the cause of the terrible picture quality, I will encode another clip again with your matrix to see what the outcome will be. Is it possible to name the matrix, i see it is blank in the matrix's pulldown menu of KDVD?
Yes. Just write a name, and click on save. Maybe write "KVCD"
That's what is on my templates.
Please let me know your experience with the KVCD matrix in the KDVD template. I have not run that many tests on it. It was designed around the 352x480 initially, and heavily tested on the 704x480. But most tests were on MPEG-1. Not on MPEG-2.

-kwag
Reply With Quote
  #5  
07-17-2002, 09:33 PM
MoovyGuy MoovyGuy is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwag
Please let me know your experience with the KVCD matrix in the KDVD template. I have not run that many tests on it. It was designed around the 352x480 initially, and heavily tested on the 704x480. But most tests were on MPEG-1. Not on MPEG-2.

-kwag
Hey Kwag & All,

I'm currently using the new KDVD templates with the new matrix to put together my own Bond 007 collection. With 19 source DVD's that's a lot 'o data.

I'm using the Half D1 template (352x480). I've found that I do have to increase the min bitrate to at least 600 or some of the opening scenes get choppy.

So far I've done the first 3 movies. Dr No - 110 Min, From Russia With Love - 115 Min and Goldfinger - 112 Min.

All three are going on to one DVD+R as I type this.

As I could not quite fit four movies at acceptable (to me) quality on a single disk, I upped the bitrates and quality settings to 3000/750/75.

Original audio on these DVDs was DD 192kbs so I used HeadAC3he to convert to MP2, surround2 @ 192kbs.

All were muxed together with BBMpeg using default ~DVD settings.

All said and done, this consumed 4.2x gig of storage where a blank DVD has 4.37 available (In the DVD -/+ R/RW world, 1K = 1000 bytes, not 1024).

Visually, The original Dr No DVD was fairly grainy as the film it came from was probably quite grainy. As a result of all the digital dirt, there is a little, very little, mosquito effect, primarily during dark scenes.

The other two movies were not as grainy and as such it's difficult to tell them apart from the originals.

All in all I would say a great success and I am very satisified with the quality of these encodes and am more than happy to complete by entire series of Bonds and others using this methodology ....


Cheers Kwag, great work !!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
07-17-2002, 09:48 PM
syk2c11 syk2c11 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi MoovyGuy,
What DVD+R/RW drive and DVD player do you have? I am in a dilemma that I don't know which way I should go for (+R or -R). I have gone through the www.dvdplusrw.org's forum, the more I read, the more I get confused. What about the price of blank DVD+R disc in Canada?

What's your authoring software? DVDit or something else? Like I said, there are so many uncertainty.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
07-17-2002, 10:15 PM
MoovyGuy MoovyGuy is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk2c11
Hi MoovyGuy,
What DVD+R/RW drive and DVD player do you have? I am in a dilemma that I don't know which way I should go for (+R or -R). I have gone through the www.dvdplusrw.org's forum, the more I read, the more I get confused. What about the price of blank DVD+R disc in Canada?

What's your authoring software? DVDit or something else? Like I said, there are so many uncertainty.
OK Hopefully I can answer this without starting a war, although I find the folks here at KVCD.Net to be very level headed, unlike a bunch over at VCDHelp, nuff said ....

Choosing between the - or + standards is VERY difficult and I know that I personally pained over it greatly.

In the end I purchased an HP200i DVD+R/RW drive, wholesale through a buddy of mine. Blank DVD+RW discs are still pricey in Canada @ 17.99 and DVD+R @ 9.99. (Future Shop online) The prices are supposed to be comming doen soon though.

Strange thing is DVD-R/RW media in the States is quite cheap now, but not here. DVD-RW is at 19.99 and DVD-R @ 14.99 to 24.99 ... This makes no sense .

Anyway, I should say the DVD+R/RW is NOT a DVD Forum approved format. Although it's worth noting that Phlips, who co-invented the DVD format is the primary mover behind the + stuff.

Anyway, the + stuff was supposedly developed to improve upon the compatibility levels that the - stuff has. This however remains to be seen.

All I can say is that based on the info I gathered, it seemed, to me, that the + standard was going to turn out to be a more resilient and reliable standard.

Now, as to compatibility with consumer DVD players, I can say that DVD+R discs are compatible with both types of DVD players that I own, JV XV521-BK and Pioneer DV-343. Although the JVC will not play DVD+RW discs.

The cost of a DVD+R/RW drive is currently higher than that of a DVD-R/RW drive. And mail order from the states, "-" media can be aquired at a resonable price.

It all boils down to personal preference, and I realize, I probably haven't helped you much in reaching a decision.

Bottom line, either technology should suffice.

As to software. The HP drive came with Sonic MyDVD ... This software is SH#T. Converts all audio to space hogging PCM (Just imagine uncompressed .WAV).

I use either Ulead DVD Movie Factory or Ulead DVD Workshop for authoring and burning. They are not super fancy, especially Movie Factory, but they work OK.

You'll also find me occasionally over at DVDPlusRW.org as well, I use the same name there & on VCDHelp as well ......

Good Luck with your choice ......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
07-22-2002, 06:04 AM
syk2c11 syk2c11 is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now, I have done several tests and found out that if I use the direct source (i.e. the d2v file generated by DVD2AVI 1.76) the final output is fine, but if I use the avs file generated by FitCD, I can see "green layer" over the screen even in preview. This is not happening to KVCD Plus or original KVCD template, it only happens in KDVD (both half and full D1). Any idea??

By the way, the VFAPI plug-in tab under the environmental setting of Tmpeg shows that "the file can not be loaded----Read AVS.dll" Is it the reason?? If so, how can I solve it? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
07-22-2002, 12:10 PM
MoovyGuy MoovyGuy is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk2c11
Now, I have done several tests and found out that if I use the direct source (i.e. the d2v file generated by DVD2AVI 1.76) the final output is fine, but if I use the avs file generated by FitCD, I can see "green layer" over the screen even in preview. This is not happening to KVCD Plus or original KVCD template, it only happens in KDVD (both half and full D1). Any idea??

By the way, the VFAPI plug-in tab under the environmental setting of Tmpeg shows that "the file can not be loaded----Read AVS.dll" Is it the reason?? If so, how can I solve it? Thanks in advance!
You can get the ReadAVS module out of the DVD2Svcd bundle from Doom9's site. That's where I got it from.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
07-22-2002, 03:54 PM
muaddib muaddib is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: São Paulo - Brasil
Posts: 879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syk2c11
Now, I have done several tests and found out that if I use the direct source (i.e. the d2v file generated by DVD2AVI 1.76) the final output is fine, but if I use the avs file generated by FitCD, I can see "green layer" over the screen even in preview. This is not happening to KVCD Plus or original KVCD template, it only happens in KDVD (both half and full D1). Any idea??

By the way, the VFAPI plug-in tab under the environmental setting of Tmpeg shows that "the file can not be loaded----Read AVS.dll" Is it the reason?? If so, how can I solve it? Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure about it, but I think that ReadAVS.dll was needed in an old version of TMPGEnc. Now it can read the AVS without this dll.
I had this problem too… I just unchecked the box of the ReadAVS and everything was ok.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
07-22-2002, 07:36 PM
MoovyGuy MoovyGuy is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muaddib
I'm not sure about it, but I think that ReadAVS.dll was needed in an old version of TMPGEnc. Now it can read the AVS without this dll.
I had this problem too… I just unchecked the box of the ReadAVS and everything was ok.
Are you sure, cause my system would not read an .AVS until I installed the ReadAVS dll.

I can't find any reference on TMPGenc.Net that says if it can read it ....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
07-22-2002, 08:28 PM
muaddib muaddib is offline
Free Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: São Paulo - Brasil
Posts: 879
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoovyGuy
Are you sure, cause my system would not read an .AVS until I installed the ReadAVS dll.

I can't find any reference on TMPGenc.Net that says if it can read it ....
Well, what I am sure, is that I had that problem, and after I unchecked the box of the ReadAVS I solved the problem.
Recently I formatted my computer and do not install DVD2SVCD and I do not have the ReadAVS.dll file in my system! And I can open AVS scripts with TMPGEnc.

update: I just saw at Avisynth application support page that TMPGEnc 0.11e needed this ReadAVS.dll
Reply With Quote
Reply




Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KDVD: TMPGEnc template/Parameters for 352x240 Mpeg2 KDVD rab Video Encoding and Conversion 3 12-31-2006 02:12 PM
KDVD: TMPGEnc & KDVD Template bigbadmoshe Video Encoding and Conversion 24 12-26-2005 06:57 AM
KDVD: How to build a KDVD/KVCD cce-sp template ? sparskter Video Encoding and Conversion 5 07-07-2005 03:48 PM
KDVD: How to fit 4.5/6 hours on a DVD with KDVD full D1 Template? warpjavier Video Encoding and Conversion 4 04-14-2003 01:32 PM
Is there A KDVD template for PAL? Tachyon Video Encoding and Conversion 2 06-15-2002 01:24 PM

Thread Tools



 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM  —  vBulletin © Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd